Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best Way to do a tank move

campbell_wat

campbell_wat

The down and dirty- I'm going to have to move my 5g reef when I go back to the dorms this fall. I really do not want to take all the rockwork out, because that would ruin a lot of things.. it's kind of become a balancing act that I'll never get right again. 

Anyway, If i did it right, I was planning on draining the tank into a couple buckets and just leaving the corals out of water, driving 20 mins to my dorm, and filling it up again super fast. I also planned on having a few friends in the back seat to mist the corals constantly and to help me carry it inside and set up equipment. Essentially the tank would be the same but just with no water in it - all rocks in place. I would also have the tank on a piece of plywood so it wont be stressed in the car. 

My main obstacles would be coral survival and any drawbacks to having the water in buckets for a short time. Has anyone done this before or are there better ways to move such a small tank without ruining the complicated micro aquascape? Or can anyone speak from experience on coral survival rates for being out of water (but moist) for this time? Cheers!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, campbell_wat said:

The down and dirty- I'm going to have to move my 5g reef when I go back to the dorms this fall. I really do not want to take all the rockwork out, because that would ruin a lot of things.. it's kind of become a balancing act that I'll never get right again. 

Anyway, If i did it right, I was planning on draining the tank into a couple buckets and just leaving the corals out of water, driving 20 mins to my dorm, and filling it up again super fast. I also planned on having a few friends in the back seat to mist the corals constantly and to help me carry it inside and set up equipment. Essentially the tank would be the same but just with no water in it - all rocks in place. I would also have the tank on a piece of plywood so it wont be stressed in the car. 

My main obstacles would be coral survival and any drawbacks to having the water in buckets for a short time. Has anyone done this before or are there better ways to move such a small tank without ruining the complicated micro aquascape? Or can anyone speak from experience on coral survival rates for being out of water (but moist) for this time? Cheers!

In theory I would say it’s a decent plan. When I do heavy maintenance my corals can be exposed for quite awhile during the water change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

In theory I would say it’s a decent plan.

In theory...

I would be worried that that's the day you hit all the red lights, every train track will have a long freight train, someone double parks, a funeral procession is en route... 

I would also be concerned about the rock shifting and hitting the glass. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

In theory...

I would be worried that that's the day you hit all the red lights, every train track will have a long freight train, someone double parks, a funeral procession is en route... 

I would also be concerned about the rock shifting and hitting the glass. 

Exactly. If it goes wrong it could go really wrong. 

Floundering_Around

Some companies and hobbyists ship coral "dry" where they are covered in a paper towel or light cloth towel that stays wet during the transport. You really don't want to move a tank while it has water in it or you could damage the seems (leading to a blow out). Using the towel will mimic low tide (or water changes) where many corals are exposed

• Like 1
campbell_wat

Yeah guys! That’s why I’d have some friends misting and holding the rocks, but I have another three months to overthink it!!!!

pic for reference- there’s like 8 rocks and stuff stacked to my liking

B30F3E80-5538-4608-B924-62F5189470DD.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, campbell_wat said:

Yeah guys! That’s why I’d have some friends misting and holding the rocks, but I have another three months to overthink it!!!!

pic for reference- there’s like 8 rocks and stuff stacked to my liking

B30F3E80-5538-4608-B924-62F5189470DD.jpeg

Looks nice......I can see why you don’t want to move the rocks.

You have a plan, which is more than most, so I think you’ll be fine. 😊