ReefCleaners.org

IM Fusion 10 or Biocube 16? New Build

Reef Rocker

Reef Rocker

Hello,

After a VERY long hiatus from the reef hobby, I will be jumping back in and starting up a nano tank soon. After a lot of research, reading, and basic "catching up" to reef keeping 2019-style, I have narrowed my choices to either the BC16 or the IM10.

I lean towards the BC16 for the additional volume and hood, but the IM10 leaves me flexibility with lighting and more evap potential for kalk dosing when that day comes.

My question is for those who have either tanks, any regrets? If you could do it over again would you choose a different option? I am pretty set between those primary options, but I always take in all advice. I can't do a larger tank now, so saying "go bigger" is not an option, unfortunately.

For a little background on me, I have had many marine and freshwater tanks. The last reef I had was a 20g nano taken down around 1999-2000. The state-of-the art lighting I had back then was metal halide and VHO fluorescent tubes. LED's are much nicer to work with. FYI I am an Engineering Tech in an LED lighting factory at my day job, so I am very familiar with the technology.

Thank you for your time,

Steve

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Reef Rocker said:

Hello,

After a VERY long hiatus from the reef hobby, I will be jumping back in and starting up a nano tank soon. After a lot of research, reading, and basic "catching up" to reef keeping 2019-style, I have narrowed my choices to either the BC16 or the IM10.

I lean towards the BC16 for the additional volume and hood, but the IM10 leaves me flexibility with lighting and more evap potential for kalk dosing when that day comes.

My question is for those who have either tanks, any regrets? If you could do it over again would you choose a different option? I am pretty set between those primary options, but I always take in all advice. I can't do a larger tank now, so saying "go bigger" is not an option, unfortunately.

For a little background on me, I have had many marine and freshwater tanks. The last reef I had was a 20g nano taken down around 1999-2000. The state-of-the art lighting I had back then was metal halide and VHO fluorescent tubes. LED's are much nicer to work with. FYI I am an Engineering Tech in an LED lighting factory at my day job, so I am very familiar with the technology.

Thank you for your time,

Steve

Welcome back. 😊

Normally I would say always go bigger but the IM 10 is verrrry popular. I’m sure lots of people will chime in. 

• Like 1

I have an IM 10 and 25 lagoon.

My only regrets

Wish the 10 was a 20, the cost difference isn't huge for the tank. 

Wish I had started with the IM's from the start😁

• Like 2

I will always go innovative marine for AIO tanks. Ive ran several 10gs, a few 20gs, 30 long, and about to get their 25 lagoon. I bought a biocube a few years ago and didnt even bother setting it up before selling it. It didn't even hold a candle to IM's design and looked clunky, in my opinion. IM tanks are very customizable, clean design, higher quality glass, etc. 

If its more volume you want I highly recommend the nuvo 20g. 

• Like 2

You might wanna check out the water box 15. Basically the same as IM 10 (rimless cube, no hood, better lighting options). But You would be getting approximately same water volume as biocube 16.

i like all three tanks ( I do not own a fusion 10) but I like the look of them.  Just saying if you go the rimless cube route and want a little more size the WB 15 could be a good option.

• Like 1

Hi! I have both of those tanks... check them out in my journal, and I recommend one of each. 😉 I am partial to the Biocube, and it was the featured tank last month. I’m happy to try to answer any questions. 

• Like 1