Cultivated Reef

colinadam

After being out of the hobby for the last 10 years I got the itch to get a tank up and going again. 

I've always been into the AOI Nan's and love the KISS method so I went with a Biocube 16. 

Added the Intank media chamber and a Koralia powerhead and got it rocking and rolling. 

Added 10# of dry rock, 5# of live rock from the LFS, 10# of Caribsea sand and a bottle of Bio-Spira. Added the Clown the next day and flew through the cycle. 

There is a Chicago area frag swap in a couple weeks, plan to do some heavy coral stocking at that time, mainly Hammers, Paly's and Acans. 

Can't wait to see it grow!

20190412_0939404.jpg

• Like 4

There is a big frag swap coming up in a couple weeks, will be fun to get stuff for it then. 

Hit the LFS for some snails and walked out with this Blasto and Acan today! 

20190414_194733.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And my Blue Leg Hermit decided to switch shells, a bad hermit took out one of my Margarita Snails so this guy moved in 😂

20190427_153804.jpg

More pics tomorrow when things are settled. 

Got an ORA green polyp birdsnest frag, so far it's doing good, wanted to see if SPS in here up high can work. 

Got a ton of great looking mushrooms, and some more LPS. 

Thanks! There is one coming up in mid-May (Starved Rock swap in Utica), most of the same vendors as this one. Then, Aquashella is in the fall, that one should be nice and is like 15 min from my place 🙂 

Everything after the swap is looking good today. The frogspawn in the top right is not happy, I cracked the skeleton in half when removing it from the disk so I am hoping that it can recover fully but everything else is doing great. 

Current corals:

Green Polyp Birdsnest

3 Florida Ricordia

2 red/pink Mushrooms

1 Frogspawn

1 Pink Yuma

1 Favia

2 Blasto Welsi

2 Acans

1 Green Candycane

On the Zoa/Paly front I can't remember all of the different ones but I know I have:

Rasta's

Nuclear Green

Purple Death

Magician Paly

Blue Hornet 

My plan is for the zoa's to grow on the disks, frag them and get them slowly to the rockwork and let them grow out while keeping the frag rack as a backup. 

Can't wait for it to grow in. 

FTS 4.28.19.jpg

• Like 1
colinadam

In the process of losing my clown. 

He has always had stringy poo, I didn't know that was a sign of a parasite. He was acting a little odd Friday and Saturday and took a turn for the worse yesterday. 

He was still kicking this morning but he's not long for this world. Dont really want to tear apart the rock to fish him out but I will this evening if I have to. 

The lows of this hobby are really low, i had forgotten that. 

6 weeks no fish to make sure the parasite dies out then i can think of my next steps. 

• Sad 1
banasophia
30 minutes ago, colinadam said:

In the process of losing my clown. 

He has always had stringy poo, I didn't know that was a sign of a parasite. He was acting a little odd Friday and Saturday and took a turn for the worse yesterday. 

He was still kicking this morning but he's not long for this world. Dont really want to tear apart the rock to fish him out but I will this evening if I have to. 

The lows of this hobby are really low, i had forgotten that. 

6 weeks no fish to make sure the parasite dies out then i can think of my next steps. 

Sorry to hear about your fish 😔

Sorry about the fish loss. 😞 

What is the 6 week waiting time for? Is that based on the life cycle of a suspected parasite? 

colinadam

Yeah. I dont know exactly which parasite it is since the symptoms match a couple different ones (Brook is what I am leaning towards). 

It looks like the longest fallow period needs to be 6 weeks, some are less but I'm going to suck it up and go for the full 6, if not a little over. 

• Thanks 1

Broke out the DSLR and have been toying around with pictures the last couple days. Haven't found the perfect time or settings but I am happy with these. 

Frogspawn.jpg

LPS.jpg

ORA Green Birdsnest.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered some new goodies from Aqua SD, was looking for a show piece Milli, going to be a fun weekend getting everything settled, break out the super glue gel and epoxy 🙂

And my Blasto Welsi's were looking happy tonight! 

20190523_142842.jpg

20190523_211900.jpg

• Like 1

The new Milli I got from AquaSD (pic doesn't do it justice) along with the Pulsing Xenia and Frogspawn 

20190527_105135.jpg

• Like 1

Other SPS: 

2 Digi's 

1 Cap 

2 Encrusting Monti's 

Ora Green Birdsnest 

Need to get the Grinches Monti and the Orange Cap mounted 

20190527_104844.jpg

20190527_105008.jpg

• Like 1