Jump to content
William

William’s “why am I doing this” ... old school pico

Recommended Posts

Lingwendil

That's how mine is. The reef has a construction paper backing so that it very subtly lets a bit of light from the rear but has it's own light.

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank

I like the idea of putting the picos next to each other as well, like @Lingwendildid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William

So I move apts In June and May relocate my Red snapping shrimp to my pico when I move. 

 

 

2D9EA77B-2877-447B-B20A-A0D10EFC73CA.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
William

Tank arrived 

086CC062-7EC3-43FD-A6E3-FCE59AB9199F.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks
On 4/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, William said:

So I move apts In June and May relocate my Red snapping shrimp to my pico when I move. 

That will be a cool shrimp to feature in your pico reef! Will this be your first time moving the other tank? At least picos transport easily 😄 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
William
11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That will be a cool shrimp to feature in your pico reef! Will this be your first time moving the other tank? At least picos transport easily 😄 

Yes this will be my first move 🙏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
On 4/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lingwendil said:

Do it! I'm doing sister tanks-

 

IMG_20190331_093816.thumb.jpg.5549f6e671f15c32edb16a3b0daffb9d.jpg

That bulbasaur tho

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
William

Does anyone know of any breeders selling truly dwarf clownfish (specifically bred to be small)? 

Share this post


Link to post
William

I think it’s getting wet today 

A0858995-A56D-449E-B6F0-50044D469310.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
William

Slowly making progress 

D2658D48-D1A3-4389-BEB0-08B1D9DBD380.jpeg

F4E6EF18-23DB-4C5C-957C-A4AA5C9B40B2.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty

That view! It’s almost as good as the tanks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
William

Decided to change the front sandbed in my plated pico. I think it fits better with the Pico Reef next to it 

6B23CED3-D681-4839-88E6-BB1A2C69ECFD.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
William

And now with life. (all sand and rock came from my existing aquarium, as well as marinepure balls) I waited 5 hours and then did a water test (all clean). I then moved my wayward anemone to his new home. 

6AF5E4DB-82EB-4C39-A028-CD40C0E593FB.jpeg

 

 

*side note, for anyone new to saltwater aquariums, please do not do what I have done and add livestock to your tank the same day you set it up. This is generally a big “no no.” 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
William

A1D6FBFD-D7E4-4290-9A8E-CD4BC6C3B399.jpeg

 

The water is still pretty cloudy from the sand (I rinsed it twice in freshly made salt water before adding it) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
William

I bought some dragons breath Macro Algae to put on there (should arrive later this week).

here is a last picture of everything together. 

1EF7CF1D-D6DE-4F4E-BD1C-9F0721706409.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

I love the duo, they look great side by side! Even cooler you carried the sand bed depth over! Great to see this up and running as an anemone tank, picos are great to focus on certain specimens. Any other additions you have in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
3 hours ago, William said:

Slowly making progress 

D2658D48-D1A3-4389-BEB0-08B1D9DBD380.jpeg

F4E6EF18-23DB-4C5C-957C-A4AA5C9B40B2.jpeg

such a cool shot, love the fresh, next to salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
William
11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I love the duo, they look great side by side! Even cooler you carried the sand bed depth over! Great to see this up and running as an anemone tank, picos are great to focus on certain specimens. Any other additions you have in mind?

I may have already gotten something ....(currently in quarantine), kinda breaks all the rules (will move to my RSR when it gets bigger) and the **** police may arrest me (not a tang, don’t worry). 

 

** I’m pretty much breaking all of the “good husbandry” rules in one day... 🤷🏼‍♂️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
William

Maybe I’m just used to my Nanobox leds on my RSR nano, but im

not sure I love the spectrum my Kessil A80 is putting out....

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
4 hours ago, William said:

im not sure I love the spectrum my Kessil A80 is putting out

I'm sort of in the same boat.  The spectrum of the white channel on my fixture is more red and yellow than I'd like.  Anyway, nice start.

 

8 hours ago, William said:

I may have already gotten something ....(currently in quarantine), kinda breaks all the rules (will move to my RSR when it gets biggerand the **** police may arrest me (not a tang, don’t worry).

So when do you reveal the juvenile clown?

Share this post


Link to post
William
5 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm sort of in the same boat.  The spectrum of the white channel on my fixture is more red and yellow than I'd like.  Anyway, nice start.

 

So when do you reveal the juvenile clown?

No clown, my LFS had a 1/2” ****** *********

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
William
5 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm sort of in the same boat.  The spectrum of the white channel on my fixture is more red and yellow than I'd like.  Anyway, nice start.

 

So when do you reveal the juvenile clown?

And I’m going to see if I can stomach it, if

 not I may have to see what Dave at NBR has laying around. 

Share this post


Link to post
William

The anemone is not cooperating, I had to make a screen for the power filter intake .... 🤦🏻‍♂️.... 

 

Ill be picking up some additional rock today, should hopefully be able to finish the scape. 

2007B968-D206-4375-AEB8-93742F62F03C.jpeg

3903DEAA-0ECD-490D-A766-52D3B79D373A.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
mariahranch
17 hours ago, William said:

I may have already gotten something ....(currently in quarantine), kinda breaks all the rules (will move to my RSR when it gets bigger) and the **** police may arrest me (not a tang, don’t worry). 

 

** I’m pretty much breaking all of the “good husbandry” rules in one day... 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think several of us may be “breaking some rules” or perhaps pushing the limits of what is expected in a pico tank. Hopefully we will all be able to manage our adventurous decisions and prove the rules were wrong!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
44 minutes ago, mariahranch said:

I think several of us may be “breaking some rules” or perhaps pushing the limits of what is expected in a pico tank. Hopefully we will all be able to manage our adventurous decisions and prove the rules were wrong!

I think as long as you have a backup plan/system for when a fish outgrows the pico, you are fine. I was looking for a cherub for my larger tank so he/she will grow up a bit in the pico then go to my bigger tank. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...