SaltCritters.com

William

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

This little tank is looking great! Did you figure out why the salinity kept dropping?

The top off water had a SG of 0

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, William said:

The top off water had a SG of 0

Maybe try a new bottle of calibration fluid for the Refractometer. My old bottle compared to the new bottle from brs has a 5ppt difference. Both my tanks were about 40ppt salinity or 1.3sg

• Like 1

I always just calibrate with distilled, it isn't quite as accurate, but it will give you consistency and put you between .024-.027 even on bad equipment. I think the OP probably had a mixing issue or something of the sort.

30 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Maybe try a new bottle of calibration fluid for the Refractometer. My old bottle compared to the new bottle from brs has a 5ppt difference. Both my tanks were about 40ppt salinity or 1.3sg

It definitely goes off. I had to replace my 2 year old bottle.

8 minutes ago, asting said:

It definitely goes off. I had to replace my 2 year old bottle.

Definitely. I just went through the same thing.

Thought my refractometer was messed, nope. It was my calibration fluid. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Nanobox Tide on the tank yesterday (have been on vacation in Mexico City for a week). 

No new pics of the tank yet as I need to clean it. 

But here is one of me and a pyramid 

D6D598CF-BD03-43EE-BACC-46A0341A943F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Welcome back!  Mexico City is definitely on my list of places I need to travel to.  All my friends that have been rave about the amazing food, architecture, etc.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Welcome back!  Mexico City is definitely on my list of places I need to travel to.  All my friends that have been rave about the amazing food, architecture, etc.

I highly recommend it, it was a wonderful experience. 

• Like 2

Next week is going to be stressful though, im moving apartments (upper east side to midtown west) in manhattan. I’ll be moving my RSR nano, and both of my picks..... 😱

• Wow 2
5 minutes ago, William said:

Next week is going to be stressful though, im moving apartments (upper east side to midtown west) in manhattan. I’ll be moving my RSR nano, and both of my picks..... 😱

That’s gonna be a long day

• Like 1
pricewayne
2 minutes ago, William said:

🤞🏻fingers crossed it isn't a walk up lol. Moving to HK?

2 hours ago, pricewayne said:

🤞🏻fingers crossed it isn't a walk up lol. Moving to HK?

No it’s an elevator building and yes 50/8

• Like 1
pricewayne
On 5/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, William said:

No it’s an elevator building and yes 50/8

Nice, I miss blockheads 🍹🌯

pricewayne
1 hour ago, William said:

Are you in NYC ?

Moved to LA for work just almost a year ago from there. Two of my good friends live in the building on the northwest corner of 50th//8th 👋🏻

21 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Moved to LA for work just almost a year ago from there. Two of my good friends live in the building on the northwest corner of 50th//8th 👋🏻

What is blockheads? Is it like a frozen confectionary store? If so, they have one on Sawtelle between Santa Monica and Pico

On 5/17/2019 at 12:40 AM, Clown79 said:

Tank is looking great.

Did you confirm dino's?

I have it in my 2.5g, slowly dying off now.

Had them in my 25g...super fun stuff.

Dino seems like such the norm these days...an evil norm. I had it in my 2.5g too.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, William said:

Thanks! 

I will hopefully get my nanobox tide in this week, as I feel my coral (all came from my RSR nano) looked better under the Nanobox spectrum. 

💯 percent this! I get good/average looking corals and put them under the nanobox and in a few weeks they explode with color.

Good luck with your move!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Dino seems like such the norm these days...an evil norm. I had it in my 2.5g too.

💯 percent this! I get good/average looking corals and put them under the nanobox and in a few weeks they explode with color.

Good luck with your move!

I wonder why it's become a common issue?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I wonder why it's become a common issue?

Global warming. :wink:

Nah, it's most likely due to using dry (or man made) rock.  In the past, almost everyone used live rock.  Then (primarily to save money), people started using a mixture of live and dry.  Now (to avoid pests and impact to natural reefs), many people use all dry rock in their tanks.  So there is much less diversity on the rock.  I also speculate that our aggressive coral dips lessen the biodiversity which had been previously introduced with new corals.  This reduced diversity (or competition) could be the reason that more people seem to get dino blooms today.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Nah, it's most likely due to using dry (or man made) rock.  In the past we all used live rock, then people started using a mixture of live and dry.  Now, many people use all dry rock in their tanks.  There is much less biodiversity on the rock itself.  I also speculate that our aggressive coral dips lessen the biodiversity introduced with new corals.  This lack of diversity (or competition) could be the reason that more people seem to get dino blooms today.

Totally makes sense.

I actually prefer liverock myself for all those reasons. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Nah, it's most likely due to using dry (or man made) rock.  In the past, almost everyone used live rock.  Then (primarily to save money), people started using a mixture of live and dry.  Now (to avoid pests and impact to natural reefs), many people use all dry rock in their tanks.  So there is much less diversity on the rock.  I also speculate that our aggressive coral dips lessen the biodiversity which had been previously introduced with new corals.  This reduced diversity (or competition) could be the reason that more people seem to get dino blooms today.

I see it with live rock fairly often too I feel like.  Even aged old tanks on reef2reef.

My pico was dry rock so I can forgive that...but my other tanks....the rock has been wet for probably 8 years and I still got it. Its actually completely covered with a light pink coralline and critters but that doesn't show in the pics.

I got dino years ago with all gulf live rock too but a different kind of dino. 

I have gotten really good at killing dino.

• Like 4