Pod Your Reef

Krish's Waterbox Cube 7 - The Lost Ruins of the Sacred Elegance

Krish87

@dling Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 

Yes, love the Elegance corals. I agree, they are indeed a center of attraction with their color and appearance. One of my favorite LPS corals for sure.

• Like 1

Today was a fruitful day. Mission Return Pump upgrade was successful! Finally, got a Cobalt Mini MJ 606 at around 120 GPH power. 

Many thanks to @BehindGlass for the idea to use hot water to expand the return pump tubing. Dude — it worked awesome 😊

Now that I’ve got the pump upgrade done, I’m hopeful and positive that my algae battle will reduce considering the flow and water volume turnover has increased by a significant extent.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Krish87 said:

And after all the clean-up and water change, here we go . . . 

The Splash of Colors

1318043231_ColorSplashWB7.thumb.jpeg.2737cba1d809b6a8cf1a90ddd3bd427c.jpeg

Looking good!!!!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

That MiniJet 606 will be a nice upgrade, they're perfect for tanks of this size! Is it quieter than the pump it replaced? That elegance coral is a stunner!

Keep up the good work @Krish87, you're over a lot of the early tank hurdles now!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That MiniJet 606 will be a nice upgrade, they're perfect for tanks of this size! Is it quieter than the pump it replaced? That elegance coral is a stunner!

Keep up the good work @Krish87, you're over a lot of the early tank hurdles now!

Hello Chris 🙂 

1. The Minijet 606 is really quiet. I can barely hear any sound. Thoroughly impressed with the build and the power-adjustment aspect of this little powerhouse.
  2. The stock pump that Waterbox sent with this model is the Aquatop NP-80 (it is not a good choice for a saltwater, but will work well if you want to keep this as a Betta tank or so).
  3. Now I'm seeing a faster water volume turnaround which is going to be a very good thing for this tank as I believe it should solve all the major roadblocks I was seeing before.

Btw - whenever I see Zoas, I'm always reminded of you! There is one more rock that is currently empty - I am thinking of more Zoas for that one. Kinda get my Zoa collection going . . . :smilie:

53 minutes ago, BehindGlass said:

Tank is looking great. Think the 606 will work out well for you and hopefully resolve some of your algae problems. 

Amen!

Could you post a screenshot of your light settings?  I'm running a 4G with a Prime LED and I'd love to compare to what you're running and happy with.  I also upgraded my tank to the MJ606 and I'm super happy with it. I thought about slapping an RFG on it since I had the extra power with the pump. 

5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Could you post a screenshot of your light settings?  I'm running a 4G with a Prime LED and I'd love to compare to what you're running and happy with.  I also upgraded my tank to the MJ606 and I'm super happy with it. I thought about slapping an RFG on it since I had the extra power with the pump. 

Hello @TatorTaco - I'm more than happy to share my settings. Would a screenshot be convenient enough? I can also send my settings to your email, and you can import those to your myAI app and check it live! 

It was a real struggle to get the settings right for the 7G as you know AI Prime is a powerhouse. Trying to find the optimum settings was a real challenge. But somehow, I think I have got it right. Hoping for the best. 

Let me know what you prefer, and I can do the needful.

Thanks!

• Like 1
On 7/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, Krish87 said:

Hello @TatorTaco - I'm more than happy to share my settings. Would a screenshot be convenient enough? I can also send my settings to your email, and you can import those to your myAI app and check it live! 

It was a real struggle to get the settings right for the 7G as you know AI Prime is a powerhouse. Trying to find the optimum settings was a real challenge. But somehow, I think I have got it right. Hoping for the best. 

Let me know what you prefer, and I can do the needful.

Thanks!

Please share the screenshot if you can. I actually just ordered a 7g for my daughter on EBay and would love to benefit from your testing. Thank you.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, jgaepi said:

Please share the screenshot if you can. I actually just ordered a 7g for my daughter on EBay and would love to benefit from your testing. Thank you.

Hey @jgaepi - here you go. Sorry for the delay.

And @TatorTaco - hope this helps!

Let me know if you guys need the file. I can share it via a DM.

@BehindGlass - I modified the plan a little. Let me know if you are OK with the older version I shared, or you want this one. Thanks!

1369588401_KrishsWaterbox7Cube.thumb.png.adc47e19196fce79fe66897ec81605a0.png

On 7/31/2019 at 1:45 PM, TatorTaco said:

Can you DM me the file?

I just tried. But it doesn't allow to send .aip files. Let me know if there is an email I can send it to.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

I just tried. But it doesn't allow to send .aip files. Let me know if there is an email I can send it to.

Thanks!

Pretty sure there is a forum or something on the AI site that has settings you can share. I’ll look for it and post the link if I can find it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sancho said:

Pretty sure there is a forum or something on the AI site that has settings you can share. I’ll look for it and post the link if I can find it. 

Hey @Sancho - I’ve the file ready. I just need to send it to @TatorTaco. Direct messaging on NR doesn’t allow any attachment other than the ones for pictures.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:10 PM, Firefish15 said:

Cool photos! Do you use a lense?

Hey brother! Yes, I use a lens. It is a complete filter kit that comes with a Macro and wide angle. If you check page 6 of my BioCube journal, I have shared the pics of the whole kit in there :-) 

Sorry about the delayed reply.

Alright, so here is an update long overdue on this tank. Apologies for the delay. This little tank sure did go through some changes, but for the good.

PHASE 1 - AQUASCAPE

The first major change or resetting, not to put too fine a point on it was with the aquascape. I thought my first rock work was pretty sturdy but I believe I was not completely correct. Therefore, a little change here and there. In fact, I remove 2 pieces of rock, which made more space for water flow and of course, it helped to reach my final vision and plan that I have for this little nano! :smilie:

PHASE 2 - FLOW CONTROL (What a Serendipity it was!)

This one was a fortunate accident! So, one fine day I decided to take my powerhead out for cleaning. I usually soak it overnight in cleaning vinegar and usually put it back the next day morning. This time I forgot to put it back in the morning, as I was tied up work. When I got back home in the evening, I was in awe to find that all the corals had opened up more than normal, my Elegance coral was looking so attractive, the leather corals had extended polyps, and believe it or not - the Green Star Polyps were looking so great. The only flow in the tank was produced through the return pump (Cobalt Mini MJ 606 : Full power @ 159GPH). :whoa:

PHASE 3 - Coral Placement

Did a little rework around the coral placement and they look very happy where they are right now! Given that now I have less rock, more space for water movement and decent flow with a simple filtration setup, I believe everything worked for the good  :happy:

So . . . what am I trying to do special with this tank?! Well, here you go!

The Pyramid of the Green Star Polyps

IMG_1830.thumb.jpeg.5e706d17941af1d3d1cb299dcb2624f0.jpeg

The Armor of God Palys with a Friend tagged along! :smilie:

IMG_1829.thumb.jpeg.ba3348b10e1caf3109488ade9cf20826.jpeg

The Zoanthids Splash

IMG_1828.thumb.jpeg.58dd63d8cb096c4b8f50b57f33268f40.jpeg

The Ever Stunning - ELEGANCE Coral

IMG_1827.thumb.jpeg.f1ddb95b525277f747afd6687ffd328c.jpeg

Look at the tips! They are so pretty . . . you can keep admiring it all day.

A couple of FTS to wrap it up!

IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.41ec009cdf7c9f46ba8ad29096776331.jpeg

IMG_1826.thumb.jpeg.aba797398c47a2abf9b13d8b42ed497b.jpeg

It will be awesome when the tonga rocks that make the pyramid are completely encrusted with the GSP. Wish me luck! 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

So now . . . the only flow in the tank is through the return pump. All corals are loving it. Still a good movement within! Hope I am able to succeed in what I am envisioning for this tank. 

And maybe down the road, I might add a Taispot Blenny :smilie:

• Like 1

Looking clean! Everything is looking happy! I don't often believe more flow is beneficial myself - and most LPS and softies prefer lower flow; the idea is to influence, observe and cater to coral responses anyways. Great work so far - keep it up!

• Thanks 1

My LFS is an official Waterbox seller. I had just gone in yesterday to check on some new setups they have to get a sense of the new systems.

It was just then that I found this beauty :smilie:

The Cute Little Grape Coral

IMG_1837.thumb.jpeg.08675dcc2e626e19ea0ed3fd18e96d4e.jpeg

This one is a brown base with golden strands as its inner texture. I got one more which is a pink base (pic below) with white tips. Both are aqua-cultured, and were decently priced. I honestly thought they would cost me a fortune, but I was lucky!

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.b53701b7052316e85fdb2c6a0b467066.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1