Pod Your Reef

Torch bleaching?

ReeferWade

I’ve had this torch in the tank for a couple weeks near the top with an Ai prime. I didn’t notice when I got it the center being whiter but it looks that way now. Could it be bleaching?

C8FB662D-73C3-42A6-BA9E-9BC2DAF61CDB.jpeg

14 hours ago, ReeferWade said:

I’ve had this torch in the tank for a couple weeks near the top with an Ai prime. I didn’t notice when I got it the center being whiter but it looks that way now. Could it be bleaching?

C8FB662D-73C3-42A6-BA9E-9BC2DAF61CDB.jpeg

It might be - you should move it down as low in the tank as you can to acclimate it to your lights. Most LPS are very sensitive to big increases in light intensity.

9 minutes ago, jservedio said:

It might be - you should move it down as low in the tank as you can to acclimate it to your lights. Most LPS are very sensitive to big increases in light intensity.

Thank you for the response, I'll go ahead and move it down. The curious thing for me is that it seems like if it was too bright it'd close up. Is that not the case? 

7 minutes ago, ReeferWade said:

Thank you for the response, I'll go ahead and move it down. The curious thing for me is that it seems like if it was too bright it'd close up. Is that not the case? 

Sometimes - sometimes not. I've bleached plenty of corals from too much light, and most of them stay open. As long as you jump on it before it's fully bleached, they recover really quick. Corals can survive in extremely low light for a very long time, but too much light kills quickly.

Most corals can adapt to high light, but you need to slowly acclimate them otherwise they bleach.

Torches are tricky. Sometimes it's light, other times it's flow. Different for every torch. 

I've had a couple torches partly bleach, but as long as they are expanding they will recover. From the pic it looks like a slight bleaching, but still expanded. I'd leave it there and see how it goes. If it gets worse move it.

• 4 weeks later...

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.