dasrkrain

Dasrk's 5 Gallon Nano Journal

dasrkrain

My tank is two months old, and I was finally starting to add my cleanup crew. Then the worst happened... My buddy (who got into this at the same time I did) completely jumped the gun, added fish before his tank was ready and he lost a bunch. He decided this hobby was to much for him so he handed the remaining fish to me, so I have livestock introduced way earlier than I am comfortable with. And it's not stuff I'd ever want in a five gallon setup, so after I gain a little experience I'll be upgrading to a larger tank.

Here is break down of my tank as it sits:

CUC:

2 red leg hermit crabs

2 blue leg hermit crabs

1 Margarita snail

1 Nassarius snail

The biggest bristle worm ever that hitchhiked over from live rock

Inherited livestock and reason for needing a bigger tank so urgently:

2 Ocellaris clownfish

1 Condy anemone

1 bleached to all heck Acro SPS

The clowns are both younger and only just over an inch in size, so the tank seems to be fine for now, as they play and dance in the waves and run around the rocks, but I spoke to LFS / did some research here, and I won't be able to keep them in this tank for much longer as they will most likely more than double in size.

The Condy must be a strong breed. He survived that other tank of dred, the trip over to my place, and now my young tank and he seems to be taking it like a champ. Right now he's mad because my power head failed and I just ordered a new one rush shipping! Not enough flow in the tank with that stock pump.

The Acro SPS is all but gone. It was green when it was purchased, but by the time I got it there is just the tiniest little bit of green at the base and the rest is almost bone white... I'm not sure if anything is even left. I am right in the middle/end of my Diatom bloom (those little crabs really went to town on it) and the diatom algae has started growing on the poor acro. I'm not sure I have the ability to bring this thing back if it's even possible. Some advice would be appreciated. 

Hardware:

Top Fin 5 Gallon Glass Aquarium

Stock filter pump (90 L/h so need to replace soon)

21 watt Hygger Blue White LED 

NICREW Submersible Aquarium Heater (in anticipation of the larger tank) 

Hydor Koralia Nano 

I'm using activated carbon and zeolite crystals as well.

I did a seven day round of Seachem Stability when I first put those inherited fish int he tank, and use Seachem Prime to help keep levels stable until my tank can mature a bit more as adding these little guys and gals has definitely thrown off my plans.

Also ignore the cheesy background. I put it up because one of the clown fish kept seeing his reflection in the back of the tank and wouldn't stop chasing it and hitting the glass... those guys are very strange. 

IMG-7019.JPG

IMG-7018.JPG

• Like 1

dasrkrain

I have been told that the SPS is to far gone to save, but there is just the slightest hint of green at the base, so I didn't want to give up just yet. I moved it to a slightly darker spot in my tank as I read somewhere that I should try this to bring back a bleached Acro SPS. Here's an updated pic and I think you can see the green a bit better. Not sure what I can do about the Diatom on it though. I read that it will grow over the algae when it comes back?

IMG-7045.JPG

• Like 1

Clown79

Hi and welcome to nano 

So sorry things got dumped on you and but it's good of you to take on the livestock.

Condy's get very big. It may limit you.

If it's not what you want, I would try to rehome it or trade into lfs.

The clowns are tiny and don't get huge right away, so you have time.

You could do them in a 15g or 20g.

Unfortunately the acro looks dead. 

What aquarium were you considering for upgrade?

• Like 2

dasrkrain
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Hi and welcome to nano 

So sorry things got dumped on you and it's good of you to take on the livestock.

Condy's get very big. It may limit you.

If it's not what you want, I would try to rehome it or trade into lfs.

The clowns are tiny and don't get huge right away, so you have time.

You could do them in a 15g or 20g.

Unfortunately the acro looks dead.

Thanks! I am definitely concerned for the size of the Condy, so I will watch it. What size do you think would work for it? 80 gallon maybe?

Glad to hear that I have a little time on the clowns though.

Thanks for the acro advice. Probably going to pull it tomorrow since the general consensus is that it's gone. 😞 

dasrkrain

Quick update on my situation, everyone is still happy and well, but I did pull the Acro SPS per the advice on the forums. I fragged off the little green bit I thought might still be alive and we will see if that ever does anything, but the rest was becoming sad to look at. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

dasrkrain

Got this strange red algae starting... at first I thought maybe my coralline was finally spreading from my live rock, but I know that more realistically it’s the start of a Cyano bloom. Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

58D197E6-4374-4FC9-8B07-68AE4B31D6B9.jpeg

dasrkrain

I did some research and it looks like this is like the green algae that also just started, in that it's a normal part of the tank cycle and I shouldn't worry.

• Like 1

dasrkrain

Poor nem got caught in my power head today. I got it out, and it's fine, but you can see it split the tips of some of the tentacles a bit... Any advice on how this can be avoided in the future would be great. I know Condy's like to travel around so I knew this might happen, but I figured the Koralia Nano's cover would stop that. My snail actually crawls all over it without issue.

IMG_0006.JPG