ReefCleaners.org

Algae outbreak

Zmill

I have a 40Gal nuvo fusion. I have always used RO buddy water 0 TDS. I let the tank cycle for over a month and bought a hammer coral and pink eyed zoe. Both were very happy for about two weeks. I have been doing a 25% water change every Sunday. After one water change my hammer started to seem very stressed and hasn’t looked happy in 2 weeks. I had a slight diatom breakout at first. Then I bought 2 margarita snails, a diamond watchman gobie, and a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp to try and help plus I just wanted to add some bio. The algae has gotten really bad. I’m only running a mini reactor with Carbon as a filter and have been changing it frequently. Also run a smart ATO with RO water. Keep my salinity at 1.025. Have plenty of flow in the tank. Wanted to know it anyone could help me with this breakout. I will attach pictures. 

71EFEAFC-2FFC-41BC-A20F-9701EAAA751A.png

8F351E59-52EA-46F8-B0E8-4196E6C75B54.jpeg

7EE47DF7-0074-4A33-8D16-9127A8C630B5.jpeg

Temp at 78.0

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Zmill said:

I have a 40Gal nuvo fusion. I have always used RO buddy water 0 TDS. I let the tank cycle for over a month and bought a hammer coral and pink eyed zoe. Both were very happy for about two weeks. I have been doing a 25% water change every Sunday. After one water change my hammer started to seem very stressed and hasn’t looked happy in 2 weeks. I had a slight diatom breakout at first. Then I bought 2 margarita snails, a diamond watchman gobie, and a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp to try and help plus I just wanted to add some bio. The algae has gotten really bad. I’m only running a mini reactor with Carbon as a filter and have been changing it frequently. Also run a smart ATO with RO water. Keep my salinity at 1.025. Have plenty of flow in the tank. Wanted to know it anyone could help me with this breakout. I will attach pictures. 

71EFEAFC-2FFC-41BC-A20F-9701EAAA751A.png

8F351E59-52EA-46F8-B0E8-4196E6C75B54.jpeg

7EE47DF7-0074-4A33-8D16-9127A8C630B5.jpeg

Temp at 78.0

I’m not seeing an outbreak. I see some coloring of the rocks from diatoms which is normal in a new tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are air bubbles in the tank from pumps and returns. They attach to the air bubbles.

Using a Turkey baster to blast the rocks and cuc will take care of it

• Like 1