Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

Yeah, inside the bag is like the most unflattering view for corals.  I bet it will look pretty good once settled (though probably not AS good as AquaSD's photo).  I'm going to stop by their store this weekend and see how true their photos are in person.  LOL.  

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Those pics are always taken under heavy blues, and corals sometimes lose color when stressed from shippping. It should look good after it settles in to your system, give it a couple of weeks. 

That’s my hope! 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah, inside the bag is like the most unflattering view for corals.  I bet it will look pretty good once settled (though probably not AS good as AquaSD's photo).  I'm going to stop by their store this weekend and see how true their photos are in person.  LOL.  

Lemme know what you figure out!

58 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

What other corals did you get? 

Zoas and a rock flower anemone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hannahhhh said:

Lemme know what you figure out!

Zoas and a rock flower anemone 

Usually the website specifies what color temp pics are taken under and camera. Not sure if they do, but I’ve seen that before on other sites.  

@Tigahboy covert ops 😂 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Usually the website specifies what color temp pics are taken under and camera. Not sure if they do, but I’ve seen that before on other sites.  

@Tigahboy covert ops 😂 

I didn’t see that anywhere, I’ll look again

15 hours ago, billygoat said:

That's sad news! Do you have anything in there that might have gone after him?

I don’t think so, nothing super aggressive

What are your thoughts on an air prime? Worth the cost to upgrade? The light that came with my fluval evo is fine, it keeps my corals alive, but it doesn’t give them a pop in their color. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

What are your thoughts on an air prime? Worth the cost to upgrade? The light that came with my fluval evo is fine, it keeps my corals alive, but it doesn’t give them a pop in their color. 

I have a prime hd over a 20g high. It's really powerful. I have my settings low lol. It's worth the money IMO. I started out with a cheaper light that crapped out and I ended up just getting a good light. Should have done it right off the rip.

• Like 3
NaturallyKait

An AI Prime is my eventual plan for my evo as well. For now we’re sticking with the stock lighting because we have 3 kids under 4 so the hood is safer, but I’m hoping to move to a prime in a year or so maybe. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have a prime hd over a 20g high. It's really powerful. I have my settings low lol. It's worth the money IMO. I started out with a cheaper light that crapped out and I ended up just getting a good light. Should have done it right off the rip.

How does it look taking photos under the prime? Do the corals come out looking pretty?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Hannahhhh said:

How does it look taking photos under the prime? Do the corals come out looking pretty?

I like to have more blue than white so they look really good. For pics I usually just use the yellow or orange filter to take out the blue. It makes them look good.

• Like 3

I run a prime hd over my 2.5 pico and love it.  Great light all around and very easy to use.  Im getting great coloration and growth too. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

I run a prime hd over my 2.5 pico and love it.  Great light all around and very easy to use.  Im getting great coloration and growth too. 

I think I’m gonna go with the ai prime hd. My stock light works fine, but I find that coral looks amazing at the reef store and then when I buy it and bring it home it looks blah. It grows well and is healthy, but the colors are super muted and brownish.  

• Like 4

AI PRIME HD is a good choice for your tank and it would give you an optimal lightning for growing corals efficently especially SPS. You may have a lil bit light bleeding on the sides but overall good choice and i am sure your corals will look better (and grow faster ah!).

Sunday2.thumb.jpg.8d1b4f95e10ec192e6e86c000722f272.jpg

Copyright Herve Reef Tools

Sorry there's some french in there lol but as you can see you will have 15 000 lux on surface 12 900 in the middle and 11 000 on the sand which is perfect!

5 minutes ago, Sunday said:

AI PRIME HD is a good choice for your tank and it would give you an optimal lightning for growing corals efficently especially SPS. You may have a lil bit light bleeding on the sides but overall good choice and i am sure your corals will look better (and grow faster ah!).

Sunday2.thumb.jpg.8d1b4f95e10ec192e6e86c000722f272.jpg

Copyright Herve Reef Tools

Sorry there's some french in there lol but as you can see you will have 15 000 lux on surface 12 900 in the middle and 11 000 on the sand which is perfect!

I assume light bleeding just means extra light goes over the edges of the tank? Is that a problem or more of a visual thing?

JK just read the rest of your post, sorry!

Edited by Hannahhhh
2 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I assume light bleeding just means extra light goes over the edges of the tank? Is that a problem or more of a visual thing?

Not a pb at all just a visual thing 👍

I got the ai prime hd! Still figuring out lighting, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! 

My watchman goby and his shrimp have moved their burrow to the front of the tank, so now I get to see them more often 🙂

I’m noticing more black spots on my clownfish. None of my other fish have them, but I still find it concerning. I’m hopeful it’s from the clown rubbing against zoas, but that just seems too convenient. 

645E253D-14C3-4CF4-AA65-EC4CBD890D34.jpeg

F5BC62CA-E22A-40D4-8D0E-89656C8B4ED0.jpeg

3C66DEDA-9CD9-475B-BDF2-832C52660A21.jpeg

• Like 6

Congrats :haha:

Pics already look a million times better.  Wait til your corals start to color up and pop even more!  I recommend using acclimation setting for first 30 days (keep it lower than 50%) you dont want to burn your corals.  You can download another reefers schedule thats what I did.  @This guy is extra salty sent me his light schedule which is awesome!  If you dont like it you can always tweek it to your liking or find someones schedule you like.  My corals on that schedule are really doing well, so very happy with the results.  Just remember dont burn your corals and acclimate them to the higher intensity gradually.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Congrats :haha:

Pics already look a million times better.  Wait til your corals start to color up and pop even more!  I recommend using acclimation setting for first 30 days (keep it lower than 50%) you dont want to burn your corals.  You can download another reefers schedule thats what I did.  @This guy is extra salty sent me his light schedule which is awesome!  If you dont like it you can always tweek it to your liking or find someones schedule you like.  My corals on that schedule are really doing well, so very happy with the results.  Just remember dont burn your corals and acclimate them to the higher intensity gradually.      

Thanks! I’m so psyched!

Can you send his schedule to me? I’d like to try it out!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

I got the ai prime hd! Still figuring out lighting, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! 

My watchman goby and his shrimp have moved their burrow to the front of the tank, so now I get to see them more often 🙂

I’m noticing more black spots on my clownfish. None of my other fish have them, but I still find it concerning. I’m hopeful it’s from the clown rubbing against zoas, but that just seems too convenient. 

645E253D-14C3-4CF4-AA65-EC4CBD890D34.jpeg

F5BC62CA-E22A-40D4-8D0E-89656C8B4ED0.jpeg

3C66DEDA-9CD9-475B-BDF2-832C52660A21.jpeg

The black spots on a clown are usually burns from whatever coral it’s rubbing. Mine used to get major spots from the Paly Patch he loved. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The black spots on a clown are usually burns from whatever coral it’s rubbing. Mine used to get major spots from the Paly Patch he loved. 

Ugh I so hope so! I never really see him rub against corals, but maybe he does it when I’m not looking. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

The schedule you have is really close to ecotech radion ab+ settings. 

40A94C09-BCC2-4275-A9AB-2D4F72527EA4.png

Thanks for sending it. I’m gonna try it out once I get home

• Like 1