Pod Your Reef

Are these zoas happy?

DOJOLOACH

I have never seen them this open in such a way that the tentacles on the rim are curled behind the face.. 

Is that normal? Just fed them some food but they were like that prior

55 minutes ago, jservedio said:

No - they do not look happy. It looks like they might be expelling zooxanthella - how high up in your tank are they, how long have they been there, and what kind of light are you using?

Where is that in the pics? The orange stuff in the mouths of the rear frag is reef roids. They've been there 3 weeks. 10" below surface with an sbreef 18" mounted 12" above water. Intensity is 25% White 65% blue right now

25 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Where is that in the pics? The orange stuff in the mouths of the rear frag is reef roids. They've been there 3 weeks. 10" below surface with an sbreef 18" mounted 12" above water. Intensity is 25% White 65% blue right now

How often are you feeding them? If they are like that temporarily after you feed I wouldn't be concerned, but if they are like that all the time, could definitely be too much light.

I know a lot of people argue about the merits of feeding zoas (less so palys since they actively grab food), but I would also be concerned with over feeding them - that's a lot of material going in or coming out of the zoas in the picture.

8 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Ill start with adjusting my whites intensity 

Are all the other corals in your tank happy and doing well? If they are and everything else is in check, you should just move the zoas down lower or into the shade and let them recover, and slowly acclimate to higher light.

Or, are other corals in the tank looking mad too? If so, it could be a million things - my guess about the light is based on what I've personally observed when zoas get blasted with too much light - but it's certainly not the only thing that could be wrong. Before changing things, try and figure out exactly what is wrong.

Actually, every other coral seems to be doing very well. I've never seen my acans as open as they are now. 

I do know I have an alkalinity issue though. For some reason over a week my alkalinity has dropped 1.3dkh and all I have is this frag rack. I opened another thread about this and everyone said this is wierd because none of my other values dropped. They suggested not to dose Alk.

I checked again tonight and they are not quite as curled back... maybe they were expecting to be fed or something

46 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Actually, every other coral seems to be doing very well. I've never seen my acans as open as they are now. 

I do know I have an alkalinity issue though. For some reason over a week my alkalinity has dropped 1.3dkh and all I have is this frag rack. I opened another thread about this and everyone said this is wierd because none of my other values dropped. They suggested not to dose Alk.

I checked again tonight and they are not quite as curled back... maybe they were expecting to be fed or something

If everything wis else is doing well, just move them lower. They were certainly not expecting to be fed.

How often are you trying to feed them?

When a coral is hungry, it'll be incredibly clear

20181118_013231~3.jpg

Oh ok. Yeah those polyps tentacles are reaching for food... I now understand how to tell I think lol. Yeah Im about to drain the tank and mount all my frag plugs on the rock this weekend, then replace with the same water. My zoas will be going a couple inches lower than the height of that rack, right above my acan garden I'm planning.

Feed them 2x a week

• 4 weeks later...

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.