Pod Your Reef

Corals and Dino problems

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt
  • Hello I’m relatively new to the saltwater hobby and I purchased some frags from my lfs I recently moved the live rock in my tank because it was touching the glass and I have been having an algae issue and one of my corals is closed up now and won’t open I’m unsure what corals I have I can’t seem to identify them anywhere I have a 13.5 gallon flu val tank with 2 clowns a emerald crab a hermit crab and 6 snails as well if anyone has any advice to get rid of the dino algae and help my corals open up I would really appreciate it

How do you know its dino's?

Dino's need to be identified to properly treat the tank. Best way is under microscope.

Different dino's are caused by different factors.

Can be from too much nutrients to too little to none in the tank.

Aidanburkhardt

I did a lot of research on what it could be and none of the different forms of algae and diatoms were what I was experiencing but when I researched dino it was exactly what I have in my tank

23 hours ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

I did a lot of research on what it could be and none of the different forms of algae and diatoms were what I was experiencing but when I researched dino it was exactly what I have in my tank

You have to identify what strain of dino you have to properly get it back into a dormant stage.

You need a microscope.

Without proper identification, you could possibly make the situation worse by trying to treat with the wrong treatment

I just had dino's and the improper treatment made them worse.

Once I identified the strain, I had it under control in 2 weeks and now back to dormant stage- 0 visible under microscope.

A $10 microscope not only helps identify dino strains but is needed to ensure progress of dino treatment.