inTank Media Baskets

Major changes in flow-yes or no?

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Ok I've got an evo that's coming to two years in October and it's beautiful.  No reason at all to mess with anything!  But I've got an ich might need talking out of. 

What at would be the drawbacks of making a major change to the flow system I've been with for much of my time and everything is stable and I believe my clown fish are on the cusp of mating.   I would like to angle my power heads in a manor that will essentially reverse the water flow of the entire tank.  I want to do this because it will push my rbta (3) Ina different direction away from a colony of utter chaos Zoas so they can be undisturbed and considerable sized toadstool will have less direct flow at it and will extra it's polyp/arms much longer.  It's grown great but I know it's getting blasted a bit currently. 

My my tanks is stock with an upgraded 32 w led and I have chaeto in Kidd chamber with stock sponge carbon and bio media in chamber 1.  185 gph pump. 

I probdvly shouldnt do this right?

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, 4Swanson2Reefer0N00b said:

Ok I've got an evo that's coming to two years in October and it's beautiful.  No reason at all to mess with anything!  But I've got an ich might need talking out of. 

What at would be the drawbacks of making a major change to the flow system I've been with for much of my time and everything is stable and I believe my clown fish are on the cusp of mating.   I would like to angle my power heads in a manor that will essentially reverse the water flow of the entire tank.  I want to do this because it will push my rbta (3) Ina different direction away from a colony of utter chaos Zoas so they can be undisturbed and considerable sized toadstool will have less direct flow at it and will extra it's polyp/arms much longer.  It's grown great but I know it's getting blasted a bit currently. 

My my tanks is stock with an upgraded 32 w led and I have chaeto in Kidd chamber with stock sponge carbon and bio media in chamber 1.  185 gph pump. 

I probdvly shouldnt do this right?

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The tank looks so good I wouldn’t change it! 😊

i doubt it would do much though other than p*ss them off for a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's hardly anything more unnatural than a reef in water that flows in only one direction/in one pattern.

On most reefs, the inflow and outflow of the tides create a strong shift in the overall current....usually creating currents in the opposite direction.

IMO, if you aren't doing something to duplicate that strong two-way pattern in your reef, then you might be doing it wrong. 😉

If your sump outlets are on different pumps, I'd run just one at a time for around 3-4 hours before shutting it off and turning on the other pump/outlet for a similar amount of time.  Each switch would be a total switch in currents moving through the tank....great for keeping detritus suspended AND for maximizing the effect of each head throughout the tank.

Not much you can do if they're on one pump.  As long as you're careful with redirecting the sump outlets and you don't end up with worse flow when you're done, then doing so may help....but not as much as putting a real rhythm into your flow.  All it takes is (at least) two pumps and a pair of appliance timers (or better).   The SCWD does something similar using only one pump if you can squeeze one of those into your config somehow.

• 1 month later...

Living things can adapt/change to better their situation as available.  

While your inhabitants theoretically could thrive even more in a different setup (conditions, flow, etc.), the fact they are doing very well (from what I can) at this point says to me you are giving them a good environment.  

The risk of any significant change (lighting, water/salt type, filtration, flow, additives, etc.) always includes the possibility of stressing the inhabitants and, worse yet, making things legitimately worse than they are currently.  

If you are doing some reasonably good things (water changes/maintenance) then the strong/positive results are due to you establishing good things for your tank.  It does not hurt to envision an even better set of conditions but I personally do not think it is the worth the risk.  

Again--tank looks great!!    

• Like 1
4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Thanks again for the feedback to everyone chiming in.  I’ve got a real crowding issue on my hands which I would say is a good problem to have and I’ve strongly considered the flow change but haven’t yet.  One of my bta just went rogue and is on walkabout after being happy for the past 9 months.  So things are on hold.   Larger tank needed 😉

34 minutes ago, 4Swanson2Reefer0N00b said:

Thanks again for the feedback to everyone chiming in.  I’ve got a real crowding issue on my hands which I would say is a good problem to have and I’ve strongly considered the flow change but haven’t yet.  One of my bta just went rogue and is on walkabout after being happy for the past 9 months.  So things are on hold.   Larger tank needed 😉

I will agree the tank is quite "full" which is both a good thing AND perfect time for upgrade.  I guess you could just frag some items, but new tanks are so much fun!  

• 4 months later...