Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's up with my goby?

CanYouHearMeMeow

CanYouHearMeMeow

I've had my new yellow watchman goby for about 2 weeks now..he's been doing well. He likes hiding near the heater mostly but he does have a cave.

I got some pictures of his top fin..it doesn't look good to me. 

Anyone seen this before? 

I have a emerald crab,peppermint shrimp,cleaner shrimp and 2 red hermit crabs and a pair of clowns...I haven't noticed anyone bullying the goby and taking chunks outta him so I'm out of ideas. 

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

Looks like fin rot (bacterial infection). How big are the hermit crabs? Any chance one of them could have taken a little chunk out of him?

Can you QT? If so, he would greatly benefit from either a Methylene Blue or Acriflavine bath. Both are antiseptics.

After the bath, transfer him into a QT and treat with antibiotics: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401791-antibiotics-fish-medication-information/

I would probably go with one of the sulfa drugs (Sulfaplex or API Triple Sulfa), or alternatively Kanaplex.

• Like 1
CanYouHearMeMeow

Unfortunately when I checked on him at 1am he had passed. Damn..I haven't lost a fish in a long time.. 

I noticed his dorsal fin a bit tattered before I got him..didn't think anything of it. My guess is that injury+stress of new tank got to him and left him susceptible to further illness. He had been eating so well this whole time too,even swimming around.

*sigh*

Thanks anyway.

10 hours ago, CanYouHearMeMeow said:

Unfortunately when I checked on him at 1am he had passed. Damn..I haven't lost a fish in a long time.. 

I noticed his dorsal fin a bit tattered before I got him..didn't think anything of it. My guess is that injury+stress of new tank got to him and left him susceptible to further illness. He had been eating so well this whole time too,even swimming around.

*sigh*

Thanks anyway.

Sorry for your loss. Bacterial infections can go sideways fast.

• 1 month later...