ReefCleaners.org

Wow Zoanthids Not Growing and Upset

EastCoastScpaing

EastCoastScpaing

I was wondering if anyone has some wow zonathids and has had any success with them? Mine wont grow and are not looking happy. I have mine in a high flow area  with low light. My tank is a im10g with a aquamaxx prism, the coral is on the sand bed below the light. Could I need more or less flow? or More light? Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, EastCoastScpaing said:

I was wondering if anyone has some wow zonathids and has had any success with them? Mine wont grow and are not looking happy. I have mine in a high flow area  with low light. My tank is a im10g with a aquamaxx prism, the coral is on the sand bed below the light. Could I need more or less flow? or More light? Any help would be appreciated.

Picture of the coral and a fts would help.  No zoanthid likes to be in the sand bed either, unless you are just starting it low for light acclimation.  

EastCoastScpaing
22 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Could be a lack of nutrients.

Not all zoas like low light, some light high.

Well Usually my No3 are between 5-10ppm and I feed reef roids 2 times a week to my zoas, mushrooms, duncan and trumpets. I can check my No3 again to see if the skimmer is pulling too much, it has been skimming alot more out daily recently. My best guess was the light not being strong enough.

22 hours ago, Dutchymomo said:

A lot like low-ish flow

Ill try to move them into a higher light spot with lower flow to see if that helps

21 hours ago, patback said:

Picture of the coral and a fts would help.  No zoanthid likes to be in the sand bed either, unless you are just starting it low for light acclimation.  

My most recent picture is 2 weeks old and you cant see the zoas that well so ill take another picture tonight to upload 

4 minutes ago, EastCoastScpaing said:

Here are te pictures 

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

Whats that stuff growing around them? Algae? You might want to try cleaning up that plug. It looks like the zoas themselves have a bit of algae growing on them. 

EastCoastScpaing
23 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Whats that stuff growing around them? Algae? You might want to try cleaning up that plug. It looks like the zoas themselves have a bit of algae growing on them. 

Its hard to tell in the picture but its diatoms algae, the tank is 2 months old but the algae has finally started to slowly die off. Do you think a dip in coral revive might help incase there is some sort of infection or pest botehring them?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EastCoastScpaing said:

Its hard to tell in the picture but its diatoms algae, the tank is 2 months old but the algae has finally started to slowly die off. Do you think a dip in coral revive might help incase there is some sort of infection or pest botehring them?

It couldn’t hurt, especially if it’s an infection. 

• 4 weeks later...

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.

EastCoastScpaing
20 hours ago, mcarroll said:

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.

Tank has a reef glass skimmer, ato, stock filter socks, and has a media bag with some rox 0.8 carbon and some gf0, stock 90gph filter pump and a hydor nano koralia on a timer (15min on, 45min off). One fish, and a few cerith snails. My salt is red sea coral pro salt and I dont dose anything else other than reef roids 2 days after my 3 gallon waterchanges. Dkh sits are 9.5 post wc and falls down to 8 by the end of the week when I do another wc. No3 is between 2-5ppm using a Red Sea No3 test kit. Po4 I cant test for but my ph is 8.2. I already have a front tank shot that shows the tank, just not the skimmer and ato

If you can't test for phosphate, then I'd remove the GFO and see if things improve.

Does the skimmer seem to be producing normally?

How is flow in that corner right in front of the mp10?  Could it be more intense than the coral wants?