Innovative Marine Aquariums

30 gallon reef unique stocking ideas

ThatNewGuyReefing

ThatNewGuyReefing

Ok so I'm trying to find a unique fish or other that can be kept in a 30 gallon with sump and skimmer. I recently scored a 30 with all equipment (aside from light). I'm wanting something fairly interesting and unique, I am very willing to alter the system around the inhabitant/s. I was told that sea horses and anglers are a good option, but wanted to see other opinions before settling, is there anything with a lot of personality or that I can breed in a tank like this? Thanks all!

I’m seriously considering a mantis shrimp when   I get my next tank. I have a 30 now that will be upgraded in the distant future, the mantis will take over the 30.

What sort of fish/inverts catch your eye? Do you like cryptic species, goby/shrimp pairs, active fish, predators, etc? Do you want one "showpiece" fish, or multiple?

Also, how work do you want to dedicate to this tank? Are you ok with culturing live foods? Or do you want something unique, but still easier to care for?
I'd suggest browsing through Diver's Den on LiveAquaria, they get some really cool stuff and update regularly

Get a Bloody Fart Shrimp. The constant bloody farts are a little off-putting at first (although the red bubbles look kind of cool IMO) but they've got a ton of personality.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I heard that you could keep a small eel in one. At least that’s what I read. Their pretty unique. Like a snowflake or a dwarf? Correct me if I’m wrong

4 hours ago, WhatsReef said:

Get a Bloody Fart Shrimp. The constant bloody farts are a little off-putting at first (although the red bubbles look kind of cool IMO) but they've got a ton of personality.

Google reveals nothing about this supposed creature...u have any resources to share for more info?

ThatNewGuyReefing
On 4/9/2019 at 11:13 PM, yoshii said:

What sort of fish/inverts catch your eye? Do you like cryptic species, goby/shrimp pairs, active fish, predators, etc? Do you want one "showpiece" fish, or multiple?

Also, how work do you want to dedicate to this tank? Are you ok with culturing live foods? Or do you want something unique, but still easier to care for?
I'd suggest browsing through Diver's Den on LiveAquaria, they get some really cool stuff and update regularly

Honestly I don't mind culturing live food, I want a show piece that has a nice personality. I don't mind it being a solo fish but I'm also interested in things that can breed in a system this small. What predators can I add?

You could do a dwarf lionfish, a frogfish, a toby puffer, or if your into cryptic fish you could get a pair of radial file fish live aquaria gets them in divers den quite often and I'm pretty sure they ahve one right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get. I was in a similar position as you and I got a dwarf angel that's really cool. 

timeconsumer

How about something like a jewel damsel? They're gorgeous fish that you don't see in a lot of tanks because sometimes they don't play nice with others. But one fish alone in a 30g would both be easy to maintain and low bioload and you'd have a beautiful and unique fish nobody else has.

ThatNewGuyReefing
23 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

You could also try a pair of pipefish or if your into spending a lot on a fish you could spen 4 or 5 hundred on a golden dwarf moray eel. 

Would a moray be happy in a 30 tho?

ThatNewGuyReefing
19 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, if you provide it with enough hiding places and it’s the only thing in the tank, it would be happy.

Confirmed that a true golden dwarf will do great in a 30 my lfs owner has kept them in 30s with no issues but it would have to be alone.

ThatNewGuyReefing
20 hours ago, Dutchymomo said:

You could also try a pair of pipefish or if your into spending a lot on a fish you could spen 4 or 5 hundred on a golden dwarf moray eel. 

I am between a predator tank(fuzzy lion,starry blenny, lantern bass, and possibly another fish), chill macroalgae pipefish tank (forest dragon theme) or a golden moray dragon cave. Thought about doing a mantis/lion combo but don't know if that's a good idea. My sump is a wet/dry filter with an open area for a skimmer or a refugium. 

ThatNewGuyReefing
8 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

So now the question is are you gonna do it? It would be awesome in my opinion. 

I absolutely love lionfish and pipefish. Probably going to do one of those, I have to see a golden moray in person to make my decision I suppose