Jump to content
NC_Reef

Innovative Marine 40 College Reef 2.0

Recommended Posts

NC_Reef

Starting my build thread on Nano-reef since I just downsized but upgraded to an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40. My old, and first ever, tank was a 36x18x18 non-drilled tank that I had a HOB overflow box with a wet/dry sump that was very noisy and very low quality. Since I was unhappy with my Frankenstein set up and I wanted a tank that would be easier to move by myself since I am graduating college soon. I opted for an IM Nuvo 40 since the LFS I work at had the peninsulas and they seemed to be quality tanks. Many online forums had good reviews for the tanks as well so I ordered one. I then switched everything from my 50 to the new 40 in one day.... I had created a small cave with some epoxy and old live rock for my eel then the rest of the rock was taken from my 50, I bought 40 lbs of Fiji Pink sand since I did not want to mess with my old sand. I put the water, rocks with coral, and fish into a garbage can while I took the 50 off the stand and put the 40 on. 

Equipment:

2 x AI Prime HD+ (coral+ lighting schedule)

Eshopps Nano Skimmer 

Seachem Matrix

Chemipure Elite

Marinepure shperes

Eheimm titanium heater

*IM media reactor (Aquavitro Biogen 4/21/2019)

 

Fish: 

Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish

Snowflake Eel (Mac)

Melanurus Wrasse 

Cleaner Shrimp

3x white hermit crabs

3x blue leg hermit crabs

2x turbo snail

 

Coral:

Caribbean gorgonian

Yellow finger gorgonian

Torch

3 hammers

Toadstool

Sinularia

Christmas favia

Zoas (don't know the trade names)

Chalice

Pulsing Xenia

GSP

Orange acan

Samacora

Plate coral

Monti Cap

20190405_201602769_iOS.thumb.jpg.8c3a79a51ba3545ad4ecc50c2a3648da.jpg20190404_162441356_iOS.thumb.jpg.d401839b127c39971d90b9df7ca87f11.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Friendly

very cool!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William

Love it, is that a yellow fuzzy? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
Just now, William said:

Love it, is that a yellow fuzzy? 

Not particularly sure, came into the store not labeled as a fuzzy yellow specifically, but since I've had him/her the yellow has appeared on the fins.

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

very cool!

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
minimal

Oh this is very pretty! I had the same idea in mind for an old 40 breeder. It never made it into reality though :sad:

 

Love the aquascape! How has care been for the gorgs? Would love to try one out in my new tank. 

 

Also, what do you feed your lion?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
asting

Awesome! needs more photos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
23 hours ago, NC_Reef said:

Starting my build thread on Nano-reef since I just downsized but upgraded to an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40. My old, and first ever, tank was a 36x18x18 non-drilled tank that I had a HOB overflow box with a wet/dry sump that was very noisy and very low quality. Since I was unhappy with my Frankenstein set up and I wanted a tank that would be easier to move by myself since I am graduating college soon. I opted for an IM Nuvo 40 since the LFS I work at had the peninsulas and they seemed to be quality tanks. Many online forums had good reviews for the tanks as well so I ordered one. I then switched everything from my 50 to the new 40 in one day.... I had created a small cave with some epoxy and old live rock for my eel then the rest of the rock was taken from my 50, I bought 40 lbs of Fiji Pink sand since I did not want to mess with my old sand. I put the water, rocks with coral, and fish into a garbage can while I took the 50 off the stand and put the 40 on. 

Equipment:

2 x AI Prime HD+ (coral+ lighting schedule)

Eshopps Nano Skimmer 

Seachem Matrix

Chemipure Elite

Marinepure shperes

Eheimm titanium heater

 

Fish: 

Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish

Snowflake Eel (Mac)

Melanurus Wrasse 

Cleaner Shrimp

3x white hermit crabs

3x blue leg hermit crabs

2x turbo snail

 

Coral:

Caribbean gorgonian

Yellow finger gorgonian

Torch

3 hammers

Toadstool

Sinularia

Christmas favia

Zoas (don't know the trade names)

Chalice

Pulsing Xenia

GSP

Orange acan

Samacora

Plate coral

Monti Cap

20190405_201602769_iOS.thumb.jpg.8c3a79a51ba3545ad4ecc50c2a3648da.jpg20190404_162441356_iOS.thumb.jpg.d401839b127c39971d90b9df7ca87f11.jpg

 

 

Great fish pic!

The tank looks nice. 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
On 4/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, minimal said:

Oh this is very pretty! I had the same idea in mind for an old 40 breeder. It never made it into reality though :sad:

 

Love the aquascape! How has care been for the gorgs? Would love to try one out in my new tank. 

 

Also, what do you feed your lion?

 

 

Care for the gorgs has been fairly easy. Orange fingers in the back left are non photosynthetic but I spot feed a mixture of reef roids and seachem zooplankton. They haven't been extending their polyps much since I moved tanks a little bit ago. Purple gorgs are Caribbean photosynthetic, only thing with them was making sure there is enough flow to keep them clean. I think gorgs are overlooked by a lot of people for some reason. I think they're good at adding movement and depth, not to mention they're generally pretty cheap for what you get. 

 

On days I feed my eel she gets the LRS Chunky scraps, on days I feed her but not my eel I feed frozen mysis. Having a lionfish eat frozen food makes them easy to keep. I've fed all different kinds of seafood that I get at the grocery store.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

More pics

20190411_235515577_iOS.jpg

20190413_212715203_iOS.jpg

20190413_182737060_iOS.jpg

20190405_201629351_iOS.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

Got some new goodies for the tank today. I purchased an Innovative Marine minimax media reactor which is running aquavitro biogen (2 tbsp) and a wavereef ATO. I am not totally confident with the ATO which worries me but that will just take time and attention. I'm hoping the biogen will help with my nitrates and rid the tank of some nutrients. Still need to tackle the aptasia problem since it is only getting worse.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

Some pictures I took today using the aquaclip lens and aquarium cam app. Not as good as regular camera but can get decent quality for quick pictures.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

Also noticing a lot better picture quality through the crystal clear glass used in the IM tanks versus my cheap tank. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
3 minutes ago, NC_Reef said:

Some pictures I took today using the aquaclip lens and aquarium cam app. Not as good as regular camera but can get decent quality for quick pictures.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

 

That eel is so bad ass. 😃😄

 

i think the pics look great.......very clear. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
uwharrie

Nice!!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
uwharrie

Am really liking this build. I have issues with my biocube  and keep looking for a slightly bigger build.

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
4 hours ago, uwharrie said:

Am really liking this build. I have issues with my biocube  and keep looking for a slightly bigger build.

What problems are you having? I looked into biocubes but felt they looked a little outdated with the hood and general shape. What do you have in your back chambers?

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

 

That eel is so bad ass. 😃😄

 

i think the pics look great.......very clear. 

Thanks! He keeps pissing me off by sweeping the sand out of his cave which makes my tank cloudy. Probably doubled in size since I bought him which is so cool to watch grow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Sancho

Awesome tank 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William

Looks amazing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
uwharrie
20 hours ago, NC_Reef said:

What problems are you having? I looked into biocubes but felt they looked a little outdated with the hood and general shape. What do you have in your back chambers?

right now the issue is lighting. the fan on the Steve's retro went out and hubby fried the whites. we thought it was the LEDs but now looks to be the driver or board.  I have floss and Chempure in first  chamber and Chato in second also running a reactor with GFO in third.

 

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef
On 4/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, uwharrie said:

right now the issue is lighting. the fan on the Steve's retro went out and hubby fried the whites. we thought it was the LEDs but now looks to be the driver or board.  I have floss and Chempure in first  chamber and Chato in second also running a reactor with GFO in third.

 

Lighting is tough. I had a Current USA before my 2 AI primes that killed so much coral because it wasn't strong enough. In general I really am pleased with the AI primes. I had one that shipped that did not work that they replaced promptly and hassle free. I sometimes have to reset them because the 'child' won't connect over WIFI. Another thing is I wish they came with a diffuser because the disco effect is real. Grows and colors coral very well.  

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

Was trying to figure out where to put these NPS gorgs then I thought up this idea. I had them on this rock which is a bunch of smaller rocks epoxied together which was going to be an arch but never found a spot for it. Thought about using a magnet but did not want to go through that hassle quite yet. So I tied a knot around the rock with some fishing line then hung it on the back so it looks like it's floating. Makes it very easy to clean the back glass but still have the ability to create a cool look. Not to mention it frees up space! Let me know what you think, I probably could go with more thin fishing line but this works for now.

IMG_2428.thumb.JPG.5891ec78ca9c89905c9f5c095479c27b.JPGIMG_2430.thumb.JPG.3facd1d57975d100a909ca16fc52d6f5.JPGIMG_2429.thumb.JPG.7527597a577c9bba5bec27160528519a.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
NC_Reef

Tank is going under a transformation. Due to high bioload and not wanting to be so involved with my tank, I am selling my lionfish and eel to get smaller fish. Today I got a pair of pink skunk clownfish, green mandarin, burgundy starfish, and a marbled wrasse. I also traded for some tonga w/ gsp on it and a frogspawn for an old tank. Will post pics later today

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
uwharrie

BTW which LFS do you work at?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...