Coral Vue Hydros

Mantis ID requested

ValerieR

Can I get some help getting an ID on my new mantis? Green, about 4" long, SPEARER, out and all over in the daytime. Likes to dig under broken rock rubble instead of going over them like any other normal thing would do. Likes PVC caves/tunnels. Currently going by Mr Pickles. Very photogenic, especially if I show him the pictures afterwards, so if you need more photos, I can see what I can do. 

The Berkley mantis ID site seems to be down. 

20190407_182145.jpg

20190407_195812.jpg

20190408_173604.jpg

20190408_173621.jpg

20190408_174705.jpg

20190408_175436.jpg

IMG_22961.jpg

I don't have an ID, but I do know if you have where it came from, that can help narrow the search a bunch.

I do know Spearers like a deeper sandbed but glad it seems happy in the PVC

Added plus, he will eat thawed krill out of a big grabber thing with no hesitation. First feeding attempt since I got him Sunday afternoon. It got a spikey bear hug and when I let go he ran down his tunnel with it. I was worried I'd need to buy live fish or frozen silversides. 

I thought that little guy looked familiar! I'm glad to hear he's eating well for you, and I love the way your rock scape turned out!

- The tall guy from Neptune

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AugyBear said:

I thought that little guy looked familiar! I'm glad to hear he's eating well for you, and I love the way your rock scape turned out!

- The tall guy from Neptune

Lol, small world. Do you guys know where he might have originated? I'm thinking he might be a pseudosquilla ciliata, but not sure. Based on raptoral appendage size, I'm also thinking he might be a she, but still looking into it. 

Thanks (re: rockscape). I wish you guys sold this Liferock type. I love it so far. At least my snails will be safe with a spearer. If only those Threadfin Cardinals would eat. But if they want to be mantis food, that is certainly an option. 

I'm actually not sure where he's from, I'm not the one who picks up our livestock from the wholesaler. I can definitely check our paperwork though and see if there was any descriptive information. A lot of the time when more exotic critters come in they're just labelled with common names like "green mantis shrimp" and we have to do the legwork on our own time to figure out species ID, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1