Coral Vue Hydros

candy cane pistol death of partner goby

DeltaZ

i recently lost my hi-fin banded goby to suicide, somehow he jumped into the rear chamber of my 14g bio cube, even thought i have a diy barrier that i guess is a complete failure at this point.  anyway, now i have a lonely pistol shrimp and i am worried he is not eating, since he was feed mostly by the goby feeding him, i keep putting LRS nano reef frenzy bits into his cave, but he keeps kicking it out.  i put some flakes and seems he either kicking out or is eating it, not sure.   what suggestions are there that i can do, i am trying to keep my tank fish free for 79 days cause i had an incident with itch back in Feb, two fish died from it, for some weird reason the goby did not get impacted. so i did not do anything to get rid of it, i don’t have a quarantine tank available.  Now, i have no fish, and a pistol shrimp that is probably or maybe hungry,  any ideas as to what to do???

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DeltaZ said:

i recently lost my hi-fin banded goby to suicide, somehow he jumped into the rear chamber of my 14g bio cube, even thought i have a diy barrier that i guess is a complete failure at this point.  anyway, now i have a lonely pistol shrimp and i am worried he is not eating, since he was feed mostly by the goby feeding him, i keep putting LRS nano reef frenzy bits into his cave, but he keeps kicking it out.  i put some flakes and seems he either kicking out or is eating it, not sure.   what suggestions are there that i can do, i am trying to keep my tank fish free for 79 days cause i had an incident with itch back in Feb, two fish died from it, for some weird reason the goby did not get impacted. so i did not do anything to get rid of it, i don’t have a quarantine tank available.  Now, i have no fish, and a pistol shrimp that is probably or maybe hungry,  any ideas as to what to do???

Don’t worry. The pistol will eat without the fish....... you just may not be witnessing it  🙂

• Like 1

Yep. The pistol shrimp is almost blind, hence the communal living with the goby. The shrimp protects the goby by killing anything that enters its lair to attack and the goby feeds and protects the shrimp by alerting it to big predators. They can and will live independently of each other just fine. You could try some meaty foods like Mysis if you wish, but not necessary. 

• Like 1