ReefCleaners.org

The Devils Roar -- old school contest pico

Lostandfound

Lostandfound

Changed a few frags about. Added a small mushroom mid level, GSP up top.  Traded my yellow polyps frag for some new frags; lords and zoas. They are likely to go up top where the gsp reside. Recently dipped so more photos to follow when they are happy again. Added three blue leg hermits to the party. 

IMG_20190504_160549.jpg

IMG_20190504_160908.jpg

• Like 7
14 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Changed a few frags about. Added a small mushroom mid level, GSP up top.  Traded my yellow polyps frag for some new frags; lords and zoas. They are likely to go up top where the gsp reside. Recently dipped so more photos to follow when they are happy again. Added three blue leg hermits to the party. 

IMG_20190504_160549.jpg

IMG_20190504_160908.jpg

I love acans, good trade 

Lostandfound

I am using an aquaclear 30 and have been struggling with rock/coral placement because of the constant "waterfall" downward flow it causes on nearly half of the tank. The xenia are hidden behind it.  I positioned the rocks in the area circled just so, to cause a wavebreak effect which has helped. 

Any high flow tolerant corals other than zoas?

20190505_065845.jpg

I too love your addition of acans!

I haven't really kept them before & mine are not down close the the rock like yours are... Do you think if they're kinda stretched up that they need more light?

I'm slowing ramping up my light...

Someone else was also having that waterfall issue with their aquaclear & they installed a "deflector"...

Gosh, I just can't remember who that was, but they're doing the old school pico contest.

• Thanks 1
Lostandfound

I will be moving the acan coral to their proper positions in about a weeks time. I like to let them settle in after a dip and brushing. Zoas are starting to show their heads. Thank you. My wife picked all the new additions.  

Fish freak, would my weak, 8w wavepoint support toadstools? Nearly bought one.

IMG_20190505_170439.jpg

IMG_20190505_170849.jpg

• Like 2

I had trouble with the waterfall in my AC20.  I first tried a piece of plastic underneath it which helped but looked horrible.  Today I tried placing the sponge that was included into the outflow.  That helped tremendously so I think I may cut it down and place it there permanently.  

• Thanks 1
fishfreak0114

I’m not familiar with that light, but I have toadstools at all levels in my tank. They love light and flow, but I have some at the very bottom as well and they’re ok. 

• Thanks 1
Firefish15
15 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Any high flow tolerant corals other than zoas?

I've got a 10g with an AC70. I've got a green sinularia leather right in the flow path, you can see it in the back right corner. Also, if you raise the water level some, the flow tends to shoot across the surface of the water, hit the front glass, then go down to the sandbed. Kind of misses the middle with the fastest current.

IMG_20190504_154137347.jpg

• Like 1

I’m running an AC50 in my pico, and the flow does shoot across the surface, hit the glass, and go straight down when the flow is up past medium. You could always reposition the filter too maybe? 

• Like 1
Lostandfound

Few more photos just because I'm recovering from surgery and I'm bored. Happier today.

Most if not all of these are taken using a pixel2 with nightsight, and a cheapo handheld magnifying glass.

IMG_20190506_192203.jpg

It.jpg

IMG_20190506_190352.jpg

IMG_20190506_185913.jpg

IMG_20190506_190236.jpg

• Like 10
22 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

Few more photos just because I'm recovering from surgery and I'm bored. Happier today.

Most if not all of these are taken using a pixel2 with nightsight, and a cheapo handheld magnifying glass.

IMG_20190506_192203.jpg

It.jpg

IMG_20190506_190352.jpg

IMG_20190506_185913.jpg

IMG_20190506_190236.jpg

Lovely pics! I’m glad to hear you are feeling a little better today! And I totally did the cheap Magnifying macro lens trick forever until I just got my reef lens. Those cheap magnifying glasses work well! 

Everything looks wonderful too! Speedy recovery!

• Thanks 1
Lostandfound

I present to you.... my swapmeet special macro lens. All credit of the nice photos are the Google pixel 2 using the "nightsight" feature

20190507_192131.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Lostandfound

I have seen a bit of talk about Reefroids, or equavaltent products.  Also target vs broadcast feeding, and pumps ON or pumps OFF while feeding. 

Figured I would share what I have used for a while and the process of it all.

**DIY feeding rig is made of a cheap pharmacy syringe, small plastic tubing from the LFS that I heated and bent over a candle, pieces are joined together with a piece of air line tubing.**

*I use a mixture of reefroids and frozen mysis shrimp*

-PRE-MIX coral food per directions and store in water bottle, refrigerated.

-PUMPS OFF-LIGHTS ON- 

-TARGET feed with DIY feeding rig, take your time this is an enjoyable time to observe your corals closely.

-DONT WASTE- do your best to not let much of anything hit the sand bed.

20190508_173848.jpg

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

I have seen a bit of talk about Reefroids, or equavaltent products.  Also target vs broadcast feeding, and pumps ON or pumps OFF while feeding. 

Figured I would share what I have used for a while and the process of it all.

**DIY feeding rig is made of a cheap pharmacy syringe, small plastic tubing from the LFS that I heated and bent over a candle, pieces are joined together with a piece of air line tubing.**

*I use a mixture of reefroids and frozen mysis shrimp*

-PRE-MIX coral food per directions and store in water bottle, refrigerated.

-PUMPS OFF-LIGHTS ON- 

-TARGET feed with DIY feeding rig, take your time this is an enjoyable time to observe your corals closely.

-DONT WASTE- do your best to not let much of anything hit the sand bed.

20190508_173848.jpg

nice looking feeding apparatus!

• Like 2
Firefish15

That looks a lot more maneuverable than the little pipette I use, plus sticking my whole arm in the tank. Good idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Lostandfound
On 5/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, Firefish15 said:

That looks a lot more maneuverable than the little pipette I use, plus sticking my whole arm in the tank. Good 

Thanks! Pretty easy to make, and works well

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

Not the best shot but here is where they lie for now.

Pico.jpg

Looking good!

• Like 1

Tank looks sharp.  I'm a fan of the window tint.  I did that on one of my sumps; neat to see it as a background film.