Pod Your Reef

Two Questions, 1 Algae and 1 unknown.

Trinatis

Ok Question number 1, when i had a salt water tank in the past i never ran into this issue with algae, idk what this is called would it be hair algae? Its on the rocks and sand and also growing on all shells on snails and hermit crabs. Pictures below 😄 

Second question is what is the 2 translucent blobs on the piece of coral rock, They react when u get close and flatten when u slightly touch them, i know the rock has a bunch of worms i do not remember the names of tho. 

Any sort of info would be awesome 😄

20190408_193539.jpg

20190408_193553.jpg

20190408_193606.jpg

20190408_193609.jpg

20190408_193619.jpg

I'd say it is hair algae, but could be some bacteria colonies as well?  Not sure about "blobs", but they could be a little polyp of some sort if they are "reacting" to touch.  

New tank I assume?

yea its about 3 months old, things where solid for a bit then this started to happen and i was cleaning daily with a toothbrush and it never endeddd

Ok a little blue i will try that, and by 3-5 days you mean a small amount each day? And should i do anywater changes within that period?

A Little Blue
8 hours ago, Trinatis said:

Ok a little blue i will try that, and by 3-5 days you mean a small amount each day? And should i do anywater changes within that period?

For every 10 gallons of water volume in your tank dose 1ml of peroxide. 

So if your tank is 20g, add 2ml, if it’s 5g, add 0.5ml. Once per day for 3-5 days. 

It’s a conservative dosage for full stocked reef tanks. If you don’t have sensitive corals, you can bump dosage up to 1.5ml per day. 

The first thing I would do is is determine the cause of the algae out break.

There is always a cause and that needs to be corrected or else any drastic treatment will only be a short term benefit.

Have you tested your phos and nitrates? 

Do you have a decent cuc? 

What is your maintenance routine?

- vacuum sand

- Turkey baste rocks

- filter media type and how often its changed

- water source

- over feeding

Dosing peroxide is fine but it does kill off some beneficial life, so it should be done as a last resort.