Pod Your Reef

Wendy's Old School Pico Reef

Wendy

Lostandfound

That AC50 seems to fit the side so nicely. Love your choices in stocking. Always wanted an RFA but never chose one because they dont do what they are told. Ha. Looking great so far

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the RFAs @SeaFurn! Hopefully it doesn't grab any of my live snails or I'll be having to restock what little cleanup crew I have in there.

Thanks @MetaTank! I've had a light purple porcelain before for quit awhile that I loved to watch, so hopefully this white one does well!

I know right! These Rock Flower Anemones are hot commodities right now & pretty pricey. Maybe I can find some cool ones for decent prices while I'm in Florida. That would be SWEET!!!

Yes, @Lostandfound that ac50 does fit well! I actually had the guy at the LFS open the aquaclear box so I could measure it before purchasing (;

Thanks, I hope everything does well & I'm excited about these different choices I'm making. I usually go with macros, easy zoas/ palys, leathers & shroons...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wendy said:

Thanks for the info on the RFAs @SeaFurn! Hopefully it doesn't grab any of my live snails or I'll be having to restock what little cleanup crew I have in there.

Thanks @MetaTank! I've had a light purple porcelain before for quit awhile that I loved to watch, so hopefully this white one does well!

I know right! These Rock Flower Anemones are hot commodities right now & pretty pricey. Maybe I can find some cool ones for decent prices while I'm in Florida. That would be SWEET!!!

Yes, @Lostandfound that ac50 does fit well! I actually had the guy at the LFS open the aquaclear box so I could measure it before purchasing (;

Thanks, I hope everything does well & I'm excited about these different choices I'm making. I usually go with macros, easy zoas/ palys, leathers & shroons...

Oh wow, I wasn’t even thinking that, I bet you can find some AWESOME corals and critters in Florida! They just pluck that stuff from the sea...lol...I wish you could ship me some florida ricordea mushrooms while you were there, I bet they hve some amazing pink, rainbow, and orange specimens! 

• Like 1

FTS from today...

20190507_122802.thumb.jpg.d230f7d4c1a4b8cf91f63a4eaea2fba3.jpg

Top down...

20190507_122706.thumb.jpg.b95dfcb2458f012c0d28c4a6cc15ab19.jpg

I have some diatoms in the back corner by the thermometer. I'll suck those out at next water change.

I also have a little bit of green hair algae on the rock that I'll pluck off as well.

That's all easy to take care of!

The one thing I absolutely did not want in this tank was flatworms & guess what I found on the glass a couple days ago...

I've been manually removing them from the glass with pieces of paper towel & tweezers. I'm researching ways to remove them that puts as little negative impact on the inhabitants as possible.

I haven't seen the acans, palys or the rock flower anemone close up, so the flatworms aren't bothering them.

I did dip the acans & palys in Bayer before putting them in the tank.

I used the instructions on this article-

https://boroaquatics.com/blogs/articles/17033867-proper-dipping-of-corals-the-bayer-method

I added the rock flower anemone straight to the tank per advice I found here, b/c dipping can be detrimental for them. The RFA was holding onto a shell & the flatworms show up AFTER it was added. The hitchhiking bastards!!!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Yes, @MetaTank I do hope to find some colorful pieces! Just hoping the prices are lower than I can currently find.

I tried to check out some websites of some of the fish stores around Royal Palm Beach, they do not have much info as far as corals & pricing goes.

Since we'll be staying in that area before we head home then I'll probably have to buy anything worth it there, b/c my husband does NOT want me keeping corals in a bucket at his brother's house.

Sigh...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Wendy said:

Yes, @MetaTank I do hope to find some colorful pieces! Just hoping the prices are lower than I can currently find.

I tried to check out some websites of some of the fish stores around Royal Palm Beach, they do not have much info as far as corals & pricing goes.

Since we'll be staying in that area before we head home then I'll probably have to buy anything worth it there, b/c my husband does NOT want me keeping corals in a bucket at his brother's house.

Sigh...

Well I certainly hope you find some good deals! But above all else, I hope you just have a wonderful vacation! 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Wendy said:

Sigh...

Promise him a new toy if he is good while you shop.  😂

• Haha 1
Lostandfound

Hitchhikers. Had the same happen... a free mushroom clinging to a vacant hermit shell resulted in bristleworm seeding. It was the gift that keeps giving

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been MIA the past couple weeks, was on vacation & just didn't get a chance to stock you all on NR!

We went to New Orleans & then enjoyed sunny Florida in Amelia Island & Royal Palm Beach!

My tank hung in there with the pet sitter, just had her top off water everyday...

The flatworms have multiplied, a bit of green hair algae has grown & just a good coat of film algae on the glass.

I did bring home a few goodies from Florida, poor things had to endure a 2 day road trip back home with us.

Here's a little veiw... I'll take an FTS once I've cleaned some more.

20190523_172542-1.thumb.jpg.ce8232fdbfc88b2ed0ffc3e171d6896a.jpg

The porcelain crab did at least give the little RFAs 24 hours to settle in before it claimed them as it's pretties (;

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

Gorgeous! Sounds like you had a nice vacation too! Welcome back and hope you had a blast!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your tank is making great progress.  I love your new RFA, where did you get them?  They will fill in that whole area when they grow a little bit. We loved Amelia Island when we vacationed there a few years ago. Can't wait to see the FTS.

• Thanks 1
On 5/24/2019 at 12:49 AM, MetaTank said:

Gorgeous! Sounds like you had a nice vacation too! Welcome back and hope you had a blast!!

Thanks, we had an awesome time! 

Well, except when my husband got food poisoning in NOLA... ugg...

It lasted less than 24 hours & he was back to normal.

I told him that I didn't get sick b/c I eat my veggies, lol! Do you think he'll change his lack of veggie eating ways??

Probably not...

1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

Your tank is making great progress.  I love your new RFA, where did you get them?  They will fill in that whole area when they grow a little bit. We loved Amelia Island when we vacationed there a few years ago. Can't wait to see the FTS.

Thanks, I've been slow going with it & just seeing how things are doing.

I'm working on getting it cleaned up, add some more cleanup crew & then purchase some more additions.

The 4 RFAs came from Blue Earth Corals in Royal Palm Beach, FL. That place has an amazing selection, but they're not shipping yet. 

So, we brought back the RFAs & a few recordia. I did lose a couple large RFAs, but the smaller ones did really well.

I'm not ever going to take Rock Flower nems on a 2 day road trip again! It's just a bit to keep an eye on their water & temps, then do water changes from time to time.

I'll post some of my favorite pics from Amelia Island. We loved how relaxing the place was & enjoyed the island immensely! We only spent 3 nights & had 2&1/2 days to explore, just not enough time we realized.

Next May when my husband has his little break from school I think we'll go again for at least a week.

• Like 1

I LOVE tortoises & I even have a female Leopard tortoise that just turned 20 years old!

So, when we were exploring Peters Point Beachfront Park on Amelia Island & witnessed all these Gopher tortoises munching the grass/weeds I was just so thrilled!

They're the cutest little creatures, but supposedly the locals look at them as pests.

20190515_153335-1.thumb.jpg.6c15c287ca40418aa2a80792b9b5aef9.jpg

20190515_153805-1.thumb.jpg.c47c8ee7d436259ed2cc6b498a14d061.jpg

The little one was so adorable & I just had a slight urge to snatch it up!

Note: Ya may want to put on some sunglasses for the next pic, my paleness is blinding.

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.41589d1dbcef479af7ffdaf95b2ac959.jpg

Me & my better half (he does put up with ALL my shinnagans & critter obsession)

We were checking out Fort Clinch on the Northern side of Amelai Island, that's the best beach to find shark teeth, dead corals pieces & neat shells.

IMG_3350.thumb.jpg.2f790ea2042418efc88722d9ca12c7a3.jpg

The last morning on Amelia Island we got to see a sea turtle release! 

Couldn't hear the story about the girl b/c of the noise of the waves & people.. What's important is that she was rehabilitated & released, YAY!

20190517_110753-1.thumb.jpg.fb4ace4302dc706cfbf1718791775c53.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome pics and it looks like you had a lot of fun exploring.  We already have several sea turtle  nests here on Tybee Island this year.  It always causes a lot of excitement when they start to hatch.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wendy said:

I LOVE tortoises & I even have a female Leopard tortoise that just turned 20 years old!

So, when we were exploring Peters Point Beachfront Park on Amelia Island & witnessed all these Gopher tortoises munching the grass/weeds I was just so thrilled!

They're the cutest little creatures, but supposedly the locals look at them as pests.

20190515_153335-1.thumb.jpg.6c15c287ca40418aa2a80792b9b5aef9.jpg

20190515_153805-1.thumb.jpg.c47c8ee7d436259ed2cc6b498a14d061.jpg

The little one was so adorable & I just had a slight urge to snatch it up!

Note: Ya may want to put on some sunglasses for the next pic, my paleness is blinding.

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.41589d1dbcef479af7ffdaf95b2ac959.jpg

Me & my better half (he does put up with ALL my shinnagans & critter obsession)

We were checking out Fort Clinch on the Northern side of Amelai Island, that's the best beach to find shark teeth, dead corals pieces & neat shells.

IMG_3350.thumb.jpg.2f790ea2042418efc88722d9ca12c7a3.jpg

The last morning on Amelia Island we got to see a sea turtle release! 

Couldn't hear the story about the girl b/c of the noise of the waves & people.. What's important is that she was rehabilitated & released, YAY!

20190517_110753-1.thumb.jpg.fb4ace4302dc706cfbf1718791775c53.jpg

Whoa! Awesome! That looks like a lot of fun! The tortoises are sooo cute! I actually just visited a tortoise sanctuary with my GF and we saw some African sulcatas that were about 200lbs!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Wendy said:

I'm not ever going to take Rock Flower nems on a 2 day road trip again! It's just a bit to keep an eye on their water & temps, then do water changes from time to time

Now that’s some effort!

@Christopher Marks - this belongs in a special prize category somehow! Haha! 

Good vaca pics! Looks like you had a great time. We are heading to NOLA in July!

• Thanks 1
On 5/24/2019 at 12:23 AM, Wendy said:

I've been MIA the past couple weeks, was on vacation & just didn't get a chance to stock you all on NR!

We went to New Orleans & then enjoyed sunny Florida in Amelia Island & Royal Palm Beach!

My tank hung in there with the pet sitter, just had her top off water everyday...

The flatworms have multiplied, a bit of green hair algae has grown & just a good coat of film algae on the glass.

I did bring home a few goodies from Florida, poor things had to endure a 2 day road trip back home with us.

Here's a little veiw... I'll take an FTS once I've cleaned some more.

20190523_172542-1.thumb.jpg.ce8232fdbfc88b2ed0ffc3e171d6896a.jpg

The porcelain crab did at least give the little RFAs 24 hours to settle in before it claimed them as it's pretties (;

The RFA’s look great after the road trip  😀 

• Thanks 1

Yeah @MetaTank, 200lbs is a tad too big of a tortoise, that's also a lot of stinky poops! Those sulcatas can do major damage to your fence, they're so strong. They sure are pretty though!

I opted for a Leopard tortoise b/c they do stay smaller,  my girl is 14 inches from front of shell to back & she weighs 5-8lbs.

She does rearrange the patio furniture from time to time when I let her have full run of the backyard.

20190205_142637-1.thumb.jpg.7a1bb2fd7dc4a4ae7aba008e006e7aa3.jpg

Oh & dig holes to lay her infertile eggs!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
26 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Yeah @MetaTank, 200lbs is a tad too big of a tortoise, that's also a lot of stinky poops! Those sulcatas can do major damage to your fence, they're so strong. They sure are pretty though!

I opted for a Leopard tortoise b/c they do stay smaller,  my girl is 14 inches from front of shell to back & she weighs 5-8lbs.

She does rearrange the patio furniture from time to time when I let her have full run of the backyard.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b20190205_142637-1.thumb.jpg.7a1bb2fd7dc4a4ae7aba008e006e7aa3.jpg

Oh & dig holes to lay her infertile eggs!

yes it amazes me that people buy them without realizing how large they grow! The sanctuary we went to, most of the large sulcatas were “donated” because they were too much for their owners. I dunno, I think it’s pretty irresponsible to get a pet if you can’t take care of it the way it deserves.

And omg your leopard is so cute! Great markings! How old is she?

Thanks, I'm pretty partial to the gal!@MetaTank "Turtle" just turned 20, next year she can celebrate with a drink -(;

I've had her since she was a week old hatchling & as big around as a quarter.

Oh gosh, don't get me started on people that get a pet & then realize LATER that they're in over their heads...

Check this place out! Totally different animal, but oh so beautiful!

https://www.facebook.com/insyncexotics/

They get lots of large & small cats donated/surrendered to their sanctuary. 

I love visiting this place!

Do you have a link to the tortoise sanctuary that you visited? I always like to follow those places.

Thanks for the nomination @SeaFurn!

My husband was very helpful too & also a bit over it by the time we arrived home.

Although, he would just be cruising down the highway & he'd say, "maybe we should of taken hwy10 instead,  would probably be smoother".

Lol, he still worried!

Yay, going to NOLA is awesome! Have you been there before?

We like to visit the jazz bars on Frenchmen St. b/c it is more chill than Bourbon St.

Also, the warm mafalatas at Market Cafe on Decatur St. are really yummy with their dressing sauce. Their mixed drinks are good too with lower prices (;

Just so many great places to eat!

The WWII Museum is fantastic. 

The Audubon Aquarium was cool too, especially the theatre & nice to have a break from the heat.

We went on the steamboat Natchez last year & enjoyed it very much.

Also, just watch out for people wanting to empty your pockets, lol! They get pretty ingenious...

FTS 5/29/19

20190529_155956-1.thumb.jpg.22f703321a435bf3802e92cf1f9712e8.jpg

I added some more Rock Flower Anemones & a few Florida recordia since the last FTS. I'll be ordering some more additions soon, so the recordias will be permanently placed when I mount the new stuff.

The picture below was taken with the blues turned down on the light, b/c then you can better see the ball anemone above the little green RFA.

Note: that's not aptasia to the right of the ball anemone, just the light & camera playing tricks where there's an enclave in the rock.

20190525_122712-1.thumb.jpg.6093d21316b85db0a469e261028a5f1e.jpg

Notice the next 2 pictures of recordia,

one has nice big bulbs & the other does not.

20190525_123541-1.thumb.jpg.4cbc82aa91e210ec01e8f3e319ab8227.jpg

20190525_131218-1.thumb.jpg.2e70eeddc2f5f9403d151fbdcf804738.jpg

The acan is popping out some babies.

20190525_123355-1.thumb.jpg.571680eab74c43873faaf91c1472569a.jpg

This orange recordia is having a hard time & bleaching out, so I've placed it in some shade. I'll gradually move it out to full & hopefully that helps, but sometimes these guys just melt.

I see brittle starfish legs!

20190525_123454-1.thumb.jpg.c189998a6e06f4a544995dbdf1891e7a.jpg

I've been trying to get a shot of the porcelain crab with it's feather "hands" out, but it always tucks them in when I put the camera close.

20190525_131524-1.thumb.jpg.6546b93a1441d2478e1451859367f8c6.jpg

The porcelain molted while I was away on vacation & left it's messy evidence behind.

• Like 8
  • Wow 2