inTank Media Baskets

Wendy's Old School Pico Reef

Wendy

SOS!!! I have a cerith snail murderer in my pico!!!

20190602_155439-1.thumb.jpg.fcaad83bfb2af8af8fd264609ccb1446.jpg

I was wondering what in the world was this snail up to until I saw some blob hanging out under the cliff of the rock.

I tried to catch it with some tweezers, but it slithered into a tiny hole in the rock.

Oh. MY. Gosh!!!! How am I going to eradicate this thing & what in the world is it???

• Sad 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Looks like my brother Brad aka a polyclad.  

Was this picture taken with the lights on in your pico?

-Chad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Looks like my brother Brad aka a polyclad.  

Was this picture taken with the lights on in your pico?

-Chad

Yes, lights were on... I had the hob off because I was getting ready to do a water change.

My husband called me to help him with something for a few minutes & I came back to this D-bag finishing his dinner.

I just picked up these darn snails today too!

You can try to catch it with a plastic bottle trap.  Like cut the top of the bottle and invert it back into the rest of the bottle so it can slither in easily but have a harder time slithering out.  Put some bait in there and place it near the rock where you last saw it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

That polyclad was hungry. 

This is how I dealt with my polyclad.  Pull the rock it is in and put into a separate tank or big container.  I used an Oceanbox breeder (or possibly a Tupperware) on its side with bait (clam in half shell from lfs frozen section).  It took a few hours but the polyclad eventually came out to eat and I yanked the box out of the tank.  The polyclad literally extended half his body to try and get out of the container he was captured in.  

I did try Tigahboy's idea but I was impatient and Chad had a lot of food choices that didn't involve him leaving the rock.  

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thank ya'll for the quick replies!

@EfrainChicagoDeepdish & @Tigahboy

What about a fresh water dip? I know what hole it slithered into & it's at the top of the rock. I could put that top part in fresh water & see if it comes out.

Since this tank is so tiny, I'd really like to eradicate it ASAP!

Now I know why my other cerith snails mysteriously died.

• Like 1
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

I've heard a freshwater dip will get a polyclad to jump ship.  Give it a go.  I have read they can release a toxin when stressed so keep that in mind.  

• Like 2

Well, I had Bingo with the girls this evening, so I wasn't able to try...

Even though it's driving me crazy knowing that monster is in there with new victims to devour!

However, I did pick up some wine in little plastic bottles before Bingo.

I'll head to the Asian market for some clams tomorrow & have wine with lunch(;

We'll see if I can catch the lil d-bag with a trap 1st, b/c I'm concerned about it releasing toxins. If the trap doesn't work, worse case I'll fresh water dip the top of the rock.

I have a pretty big order of corals coming on Wednesday too & I really do not want to add them to this Monster's lair!!!

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Holy moly @Tigahboy!!!

Geesh, it ate your clam!?!?!

How many inches long was it? Hard to tell in the video.

Also, how long did you have to wait before you trapped it?

Yeah, I believe it did.  I think it was a few inches but that was like almost 10 years ago so I don't remember for sure how long it was.  I think I left it for a few hours and found it in the trap (tho again, my memory is not solid on that).  But yeah, easier to leave the trap out longer in a bigger tank than in a tiny pico.  Definitely don't want the bait to be sitting in the pico for too long.

• Wow 2
17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Here's the one that I caught a long long time ago using the plastic bottle method:  https//youtu.be/n_wpdSQjyKU

Didn't embed the video here bc it's gross.  Click the link at your own risk.  Lol. 

Damn! thats a cool worm its huge!!

Also, you could use one of your ceriths as live bait... He'd be taking one for the team. 😈 Haha. Jk jk.  That option wouldn't foul the water tho... Just throwing it out there.  But again, I'm just kidding... Or am I?  😇

7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

It was a combination of freaky, disgusting, and cool I guess.  Haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hitch hikers never bothered me much unless it was killing stuff.  I had a giant eunicid worm before in a five gallon bucket his head passed its tail and then some!!  I was like where the hell had this thing been this whole time!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Also, you could use one of your ceriths as live bait... He'd be taking one for the team. 😈 Haha. Jk jk.  That option wouldn't foul the water tho... Just throwing it out there.  But again, I'm just kidding... Or am I? 

Yeppers, I've definitely considered this!

The D-bag has gotta GO & ASAP!!!

11 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

It is kinda neat, but YIKES! Why does the snail murderer have to be in my pico?

• Haha 2

I've had plumbing chock full o worms too. Now that was disgusting! 

Any time I plumb anything its straight up and down...you start using elbows and straight across things start to move in lol.  Soo gross!

• Wow 1

I've had the bottle trap in the tank a couple hours now with the lights turned down. I put a live cerith snail & some pellet food in there.

The porcelain crab was attracted to it & hanging out right were the polyclad's hole is. I scared the porcelain off & I'm keeping a close watch!

20190603_143030.thumb.jpg.6e6a607f675a1f10b65bd9b03315a36f.jpg

No snails were harmed last night, so I hope the D-bag is hungry enough to go into the trap!

• Like 2

Well Boo, I have not caught the polyclad yet...

On another bad note, I lost one of my RFAs. It was irritated after some tank cleanup on Sunday & then I had to move the rock on Monday morning to fit the trap into the tank.

That RFA was hanging out at the very bottom of the rock near the sand bed & just got royally pissed. It moved a bit, was mouth gaping throughout the day & dropping tips of it's tenacles by night time. RIP little lovely 😞

• Sad 5

I had a polyclad worm once. Lucky for me, it holed up in a rock with no corals so I was able to get it out by taking the whole rock out. Ugh... nasty worms... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I had a polyclad worm once. Lucky for me, it holed up in a rock with no corals so I was able to get it out by taking the whole rock out. Ugh... nasty worms... 

That was really convenient! Did you try to eradicate the polyclad from that rock once it was removed from your tank?

Just curious... If so, what method did you use?

9 hours ago, Wendy said:

That was really convenient! Did you try to eradicate the polyclad from that rock once it was removed from your tank?

Just curious... If so, what method did you use?

That rock went in the trash!! 😯

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Wendy,  have you noticed any more shells being vacated by the polyclad?  I would assume he was really hungry and that's why he came out with lights on.  

Maybe do a water change and keep the water.  Dip the rock in fresh until he comes out and then rinse/shake the rock in your discard water well to remove any toxins?  

In my research to remove Chad I read they release toxins so I thought I'd mention it as a more safe then sorry.  

• Like 1