Butterfly Nebulas

Sunny Delight

Scrambled Eggs

Spaceman Paly

Orange Speckles

INVERTS- Porcelain crab 

Rock Flower Anemones

Hi there, it's been a little bit!

I took a break from the hobby, but I can't help but get excited again with everyone's reef inspiration!

After a few years of being away from Nano-Reef I decided on April 2nd to take a peek & see what I've been missing out on... Now I just have to jump in & get my feet wet (literally)!

I love reading about people's reefs & seeing all the cool photos, but haven't been one to comment much. Hopefully getting involved with this old school pico reef contest will give me a boost to engage with you all more. I'm excited!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.175b793b543f1b844c04546a28009294.jpg

I'm using a tablet stand holder to mount my light & it's working great!

Screenshot_2019-04-07-17-10-20-1.thumb.png.b28528ee4e8ed2e8135e5f9647eee7d3.png

20190422_205654.jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Welcome to the contest!  Glad to see another UNS tank in this competition.  Team UNS!  👊

YES, love this rimless!!!

Thanks for the welcome & your volcano theme is looking great!

I can see a really nice tank down shot in your future with lots of corals on that rock ruble!

Question: Are you thinking you'll mount your light on your tank?

Just wondeeing, I see you haven't chosen a light yet...

1 minute ago, Wendy said:

YES, love this rimless!!!

Thanks for the welcome & your volcano theme is looking great!

I can see a really nice tank down shot in your future with lots of corals on that rock ruble!

Question: Are you thinking you'll mount your light on your tank?

Just wondeeing, I see you haven't chosen a light yet...

Thanks!  Love the UNS tank as well.  It is probably the nicest glass tank I've ever had.  

Yeah, no lights yet.  But I was planning to mount a light on the side or maybe like back wall in the corner (on the side where all my equipment is).  I have a super tiny HOB so it's easier for me to mount on the side tho.  

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks!  Love the UNS tank as well.  It is probably the nicest glass tank I've ever had.  

Every time I see your edges and zero trace of silicone....😩

• Haha 6
27 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah, no lights yet.  But I was planning to mount a light on the side or maybe like back wall in the corner (on the side where all my equipment is).  I have a super tiny HOB so it's easier for me to mount on the side tho.  

Gosh, it just makes me nervous to mount the light on this tank...

However, my husband is worried about those ideas I posted above for holding my light. I'm just ready to order now & get a move on!

I was lucky to find this tank in one of the half dozen LFS within 15 miles of me & it looks like I paid $12 more than you.

You did good on that find!

11 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Welcome to the contest!

Thank you! Your custom trey/trim is looking so sharp! 

I couldn't go with the janky tank b/c I'm not that engenious, heck I'm have trouble with mounting my light!

I knew when I saw the fixture at the LFS that it would need alterations, but it was 20% off sale & it should work well enough.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Gosh, it just makes me nervous to mount the light on this tank...

However, my husband is worried about those ideas I posted above for holding my light. I'm just ready to order now & get a move on!

I was lucky to find this tank in one of the half dozen LFS within 15 miles of me & it looks like I paid $12 more than you.

You did good on that find!

Thank you! Your custom trey/trim is looking so sharp! 

I couldn't go with the janky tank b/c I'm not that engenious, heck I'm have trouble with mounting my light!

I knew when I saw the fixture at the LFS that it would need alterations, but it was 20% off sale & it should work well enough.

Thanks, its was spur of moment kinda thing, this whole entry for me was. I was going uns all the way if I did enter. Even mapped out and planned the whole thing with Volcano man @Tigahboyuntil I found that tray. Then at that moment I went to the jankyside 👻.  On the plus side I am rimless....lol 

Go team rimless!! can I get a 🤛🤜.... anyone...fine no team rimless 😩

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Go team rimless!! can I get a 🤛🤜.... anyone...fine no team rimless 😩

Until I saw a couple of people have to order replacements I was all up for it. That would have blown my entire months budget

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Until I saw a couple of people have to order replacements I was all up for it. That would have blown my entire months budget

When I was de rimming mines I thought any min now this thing is gonna break... lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Welcome to the contest!!

Thank you! I'm really jealous of your custom stuff, just so you know (;

I'm not that great at DIY & building things so it's pretty fascinating to see what you are putting together!

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back to reefing. I know this contest will be a lot of fun. Good luck with your tank.

Thank you! There's so MANY entries that I'm working my way through everyone's threads to see what's happening!

• Like 3

Since I do not currently have a SW tank set up & just have some odds/ends sitting in a corner, I am pretty much starting from scratch.

Over the weekend, along with my husband, we visitrd a few LFS. 

I purchased the tank, light, filter, salt & live rock.

The rock has been brewing in a bucket of SW, giving me time to leak test the tank & filter.

I've also disfigured a pill bottle to use as a surface skimmer. It's not turning out how I'd like ):

Oh, I did have a bucket with some larger grain sand in it, that's been sitting in the "aquarium corner" for quit some time 0:

I rinsed that all out really well & had enough for this little tank with a little left over.

I used the cardboard top on the UNS & just eye balled the live rock when I picked out 2 pieces. Well, the larger one is just too tall for my liking, so I had to rectify that situation!

20190410_143437.thumb.jpg.468409f738fb03a0d967121f12c410ba.jpg

I was able to chizzle of 2-3 inches & it looks much better!

Now, I need to decide on which scape to go with...

1st scape is both rocks, but it pretty much covers the whole bottom of the tank.

20190410_141929.thumb.jpg.58219d92fb4d3d67aade29d8f6ff6e6e.jpg

2nd scape is the larger rock with some chipped up rubble & it's very minimalistic, but leaves more sand bed.

20190410_141806-1.thumb.jpg.b7760a90ca7cbdb65f159ff758e880f9.jpg

I went a head & put all the rock in for now & filled her up with SW water to keep it stewing (:

Lmk what ya'll think! Scape #1 or #2??

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Scape #2 looks great!  

I'm kinda leaning that way too..

6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I like scape 2 since there is more sandbed.  A lot may depend on what coral you are thinking of keeping.

With the 2 rocks it already seems crammed...

I want to go a different route than I normally do. I usually do some kind of macro tank.

This time I've got my mind set on zoas, acans & some ricordias.

• Like 5

Agree with everyone on number 2............also could bust up the other rock and maybe try making something with the rubble.

I know when I made my scape it took a few runs with the rock to find something. Even in the end when I thought it was done I changed it..........

• Haha 1
Lostandfound

#2 with less sand. Be very conscious of livestock mounting space on both the rock and sand bed. Need the most area possible in these tiny tanks.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wendy said:

I'm kinda leaning that way too..

With the 2 rocks it already seems crammed...

I want to go a different route than I normally do. I usually do some kind of macro tank.

This time I've got my mind set on zoas, acans & some ricordias.

I think scape 2 is perfect for zoas, acans and ricordia!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wendy said:

Since I do not currently have a SW tank set up & just have some odds/ends sitting in a corner, I am pretty much starting from scratch.

Over the weekend, along with my husband, we visitrd a few LFS. 

I purchased the tank, light, filter, salt & live rock.

The rock has been brewing in a bucket of SW, giving me time to leak test the tank & filter.

I've also disfigured a pill bottle to use as a surface skimmer. It's not turning out how I'd like ):

Oh, I did have a bucket with some larger grain sand in it, that's been sitting in the "aquarium corner" for quit some time 0:

I rinsed that all out really well & had enough for this little tank with a little left over.

I used the cardboard top on the UNS & just eye balled the live rock when I picked out 2 pieces. Well, the larger one is just too tall for my liking, so I had to rectify that situation!

20190410_143437.thumb.jpg.468409f738fb03a0d967121f12c410ba.jpg

I was able to chizzle of 2-3 inches & it looks much better!

Now, I need to decide on which scape to go with...

1st scape is both rocks, but it pretty much covers the whole bottom of the tank.

20190410_141929.thumb.jpg.58219d92fb4d3d67aade29d8f6ff6e6e.jpg

2nd scape is the larger rock with some chipped up rubble & it's very minimalistic, but leaves more sand bed.

20190410_141806-1.thumb.jpg.b7760a90ca7cbdb65f159ff758e880f9.jpg

I went a head & put all the rock in for now & filled her up with SW water to keep it stewing (:

Lmk what ya'll think! Scape #1 or #2??

It reminds me of a pic I took in Cozumel with that slope. 

GPTempDownload.jpeg

• Wow 5