ChristopherDido

Dr. Seuss's Truffula Tank - 2.5 Old School Pico

debbeach13

Moving tanks is tough. I think a couple contestants did it. Tank looks pretty good from what I can see. I hope you can find the time to clean the glass for a new FTS and a little write up on your thought on setting up and  keeping a pico. You had a couple hick ups but some nice growth. You could be in the running. Enjoy your new place.

ChristopherDido

Hey all haven't updated this in a while, life and all lol. Anyway, I started thinking shortly after getting our new house in semi-order I wanted to get this tank upgraded a bit. I loved one of the other contestants tanks with the pink sides and another with the florescent orange rim, so I started looking here and there for a "glofish neon" tank that I had seen at a pet store. However I didn't want to spend $80 on a 5.5 gallon tank. After searching Craiglist, going to pet stores and other places, someone gifted me this tank. They're grandson had lost interest in the tank, so score for me. I wanted pink, but can't say no to free lol. I plan to run all the same equipment from the 2.5, figure the only thing I may need to add is "powerhead." But I'll have to see what the flow is like first with the Tidal 35 on there.

Anyway that brings me a couple questions before I make this live. 

First of all, not sure what's in the silicone that makes it glow, do you think it will have an adverse effect on the inhabitants? 

Second, I ran water and vinegar through the tank for 48 hrs to do a good clean and wiped it down after, no leaks! 🙂 but now the question, how long should I wait after a vinegar bath before adding my contents from the 2.5?

Third, anyone have experience with these tanks and ever used one as a reef?

I know there was one more question, but I can't remember it at the moment lol.

Anyway here's what the tank looks like. Thanks for your help.

IMG_20200208_105917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

seabass
57 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

First of all, not sure what's in the silicone that makes it glow, do you think it will have an adverse effect on the inhabitants? 

Second, I ran water and vinegar through the tank for 48 hrs to do a good clean and wiped it down after, no leaks! 🙂 but now the question, how long should I wait after a vinegar bath before adding my contents from the 2.5?

I assume that the silicone (which was made for aquariums) is safe once fully cured.

After you rinse the vinegar out, it's good to go.  Actually, vinegar is used to carbon dose reef tanks, so it's pretty safe in small doses (it can have a lower effect on pH due to its acidity).

• Like 2

ChristopherDido
46 minutes ago, seabass said:

I assume that the silicone (which was made for aquariums) is safe once fully cured.

After you rinse the vinegar out, it's good to go.  Actually, vinegar is used to carbon dose reef tanks, so it's pretty safe in small doses (it can have a lower effect on pH due to its acidity).

So wait then, should I run more regular water through it, or is just draining it and drying it good? Thanks BTW

seabass
17 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

is just draining it and drying it good?

Yep, that's it. :smilie:

• Like 1

ChristopherDido
33 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yep, that's it. :smilie:

Perfect! Thanks! Planning to try to do all this tomorrow 🙂

• Like 2

ChristopherDido

Got the move over done and added a bit more love Rock... First time chiseling a big piece, so that was fun. I'll probably start a new journal just for this tank, we'll see how everything holds up tomorrow as of right now everything is super pissed lol. But here's a quick pic of what it looks like. Let me know what you think

IMG_20200209_205508.jpg

• Like 4

debbeach13

Looks good. I forget are you planning on fish.

• Like 1

ChristopherDido
13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks good. I forget are you planning on fish.

Nah... I already have a pom-pom and a clown goby in there. Thinking a trio of Sexy Shrimp would do great in there, and upping my CUC. And adding some RFAs. 

• Like 3

seabass

Looks nice.

ChristopherDido
19 hours ago, seabass said:

Looks nice.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna rearrange a rock on the right and one on the left basically move all GSP, some on backside of RFA rock, to one side and do something different on the other side some LPS maybe encrusting corals so two striking different sides. And more RFAs 🙂

• Like 2

ChristopherDido

As promised a quick photo update of the rescaped tank. I think I like it, wish it had a bit of differing height on both sides, but everything seems happy. Also, now my pom pom has settled into a spot where I can actually see him, granted he's still hiding in the rocks but can be seen. Love that the GSP mound looks more filled out now. Let me know what you think. Thanks

IMG_20200216_200548.jpg

IMG_20200216_200601.jpg

IMG_20200216_200658.jpg

IMG_20200216_200704.jpg

IMG_20200216_200714.jpg

• Like 4

seabass

Looks good Christopher.

debbeach13

Well on your way. You could just sit back and watch it grow but I know your planning some additions can't wait to see them.