ReefCleaners.org

Dr. Seuss's Truffula Tank - 2.5 Old School Pico

ChristopherDido

5 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:
On 4/8/2019 at 10:52 PM, 748S911 said:

background looks like cocoworms lol

Not sure if that's a compliment or not lol

I could totally see a some feather dusters, coco worms, and feather duster clusters to match the background. That would look awesome!

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Thanks! I'm hoping I can do it justice and bring it to life.

That is my goal, with maybe a free flourishes of extra whimsy 🙂

Thanks! Glad people like the theme, was afraid I was gonna get some hate for it 🤣

Not sure if that's a compliment or not lol

Not much to update right now, hoping to get a test thing of macros this weekend to see if everything is good! I did notice that the small heater is giving me too much fluctuating in temp, so gonna need to buy a different heater this weekend, what heater fits in the AC30 HOB?

Tetra HT10 (50w heater)

On 3/30/2019 at 9:38 PM, asting said:

Well, it is up and running!

First: FTS - full tank snack.

image.png.a918793966c606fc1c203bfdd1bd1875.png

From there, I pulled my cookies frags, and transferred in the rock i had curing. This is going to be my scape (with a few pieces coming along with coral), but for now i had a few rocks in a 5g bucket curing. I bashed them up and dumped them in the display. Quite overfilled. I'm hoping to avoid most of the cycle that way. Therefore, this is my only FTS for now. will pull most of the rubble next week.

Now, the fun stuff!

I made a media basket and layout for the AC30. It is very tight, but i think i have everything i need. I'm unsure on the need for macro algae, but i've got room currently.

4H4kFfM.jpg

NZtqIIw.jpg

UV1FoNt.jpg

8hdvln0.jpg

That's it for now! I'm thinking some nems in this tank, and maybe sexy shrimp? I want a clown goby or other tiny goby, but assume the nems in a tank this size would make a snack of him.

• Thanks 1
ChristopherDido
39 minutes ago, asting said:

Tetra HT10 (50w heater)

That is the exact post I remember seeing, I was hoping the person that did that would comment! Thanks and thanks for doing the hard work for me!

How's it doing holding the temp consistent?

🙂

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

That is the exact post I remember seeing, I was hoping the person that did that would comment! Thanks and thanks for doing the hard work for me!

How's it doing holding the temp consistent?

🙂

It's 78-79 constantly. I don't think i've seen it lower than 78.5, or higher than 78.9. Haven't been too worried about it so not studying religiously.

ChristopherDido
19 hours ago, 748S911 said:

I could totally see a some feather dusters, coco worms, and feather duster clusters to match the background. That would look awesome!

I will have to think about that and see if I find any I like locally. Trying to buy all locally, other than macros never had anything shipped. 

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
On 4/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, seabass said:

Dwarf fan worms are hardy; coco worms not quite as much.

Thanks for that information! 

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
On 4/10/2019 at 10:01 PM, asting said:

It's 78-79 constantly. I don't think i've seen it lower than 78.5, or higher than 78.9. Haven't been too worried about it so not studying religiously.

Got the Tetra the next day, tank has stayed consistent at 79 since I put it in there! Thanks!

ChristopherDido

Alright quick update, I may be in the running for winning worst pests lol. As temp has leveled out, I've noticed a few things popping up on my live rock. I knew I had Aptasia the next day after adding the rock, been trying to kill them with fire, not quite working so going with the Aptasia X.

IMG_20190412_213220.thumb.jpg.2d4c3bfe7a68c8557c3b35815918c32e.jpg

But last night I see this guy. Pretty sure it's a majano, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've never had majanos.  I'm debating if I should kill them, they do look pretty cool, but I've read and heard they can get out of control quick.

IMG_20190412_213154.thumb.jpg.ec20845791c08ee4a79dd416f312125b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
45 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Yeah, but they look so cool.  I wonder how many you'd have at the end of the contest if you target fed them. :unsure:  Although it's probably best to get rid of it, if you plan on keeping other corals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, ChristopherDido said:

Alright quick update, I may be in the running for winning worst pests lol. As temp has leveled out, I've noticed a few things popping up on my live rock. I knew I had Aptasia the next day after adding the rock, been trying to kill them with fire, not quite working so going with the Aptasia X.

IMG_20190412_213220.thumb.jpg.2d4c3bfe7a68c8557c3b35815918c32e.jpg

But last night I see this guy. Pretty sure it's a majano, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've never had majanos.  I'm debating if I should kill them, they do look pretty cool, but I've read and heard they can get out of control quick.

Most say Majanos don’t spread as fast. I think they are pretty. Lots of people on NR would want it if you don’t. 

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
56 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Don't kill the majano.  I will take it or you can list it in the Market Place.  

I don't plan on killing it, someone told me how to remove them, although I will say I'm not sure if ship it maybe find someone local.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Yeah, but they look so cool.  I wonder how many you'd have at the end of the contest if you target fed them. :unsure:  Although it's probably best to get rid of it, if you plan on keeping other corals.

I'm wondering considering their color, kinda works with my plan, if they could be isolated to that side of the tank. 

44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Most say Majanos don’t spread as fast. I think they are pretty. Lots of people on NR would want it if you don’t. 

Maybe I'll just grow out that rock and sell it later on lol

• Like 1
  • ChristopherDido changed the title to Dr. Seuss's Truffula Tank - 2.5 Old School Pico
ChristopherDido

Update! Tank is good to go! Added first corals! Got them for $5 each! Gonna start my "grassy" hill and my first "Truffula." They were just added so they are not open yet and I haven't glued them down yet, still need to decide on the majano, it's pretty, still considering trying to isolate them on that rock, not even sure if that's possible. 

Here's a couple pics.

IMG_20190413_193954.jpg

IMG_20190413_193959.jpg

• Like 11

You could heat and bend acrylic rods adding a small platform to attach your coral to.  I know the rods come in colors but I don't know if you can paint them.  

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Nice choice.

Thanks!

On a side note, realized last night that I forgot to get a cuc from the LFS while buying the corals. Thinking a trochus and Turbo. Or should I go with something else?

29 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Thanks!

On a side note, realized last night that I forgot to get a cuc from the LFS while buying the corals. Thinking a trochus and Turbo. Or should I go with something else?

Might be pretty cramped for those two. I'd start with something like 1 cerith. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Thanks!

I’d avoid the turbo... would prob knock things around a bunch (and they’re poop factories).

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, ChristopherDido said:

I don't plan on killing it, someone told me how to remove them, although I will say I'm not sure if ship it maybe find someone local.

I'd take it if you'd ship!

fishfreak0114
On 4/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, 748S911 said:

I agree, they totally resemble less colorful truffula trees!

@ChristopherDido I love your theme!  Can't wait to see how it ends up 🙂