Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Saltwater Experience

Jay_tankfan

Jay_tankfan

After 7 years of experience with 2 freshwater planted aquariums, I'm finally taking my first steps into saltwater. My plan is to document my experience here, post pics of my progress, purchases made, list prices paid, learn as much as possible, and hopefully help others with their experience. 

Temporary Apartment RODI Setup:

My first purchase in the pursuit of a saltwater tank was an RO unit. I purchased the AquaticLife 4 stage RODI unit online through Walmart and shipped from Big Al's Pets for $112.49, no shipping and no tax. Other prices I found online and at my local fish store (LFS) were $20 - $30 more expensive, so I opted to make this purchase online. I looked at several water connection options in my apartment, under the kitchen or bathroom sink, the shower, etc, but the plumbing wasn't the correct size and would have required some modification of the fittings etc., and I can't really make any changes to my apartment. Also, the apartment maintenance folks come into the apartment sometimes for general service and repairs and I just don't want to have to deal with any potential issues there. The best option turned out to be connecting the RODI unit to my washing machine hookup using the standard faucet connector, like you would see on the outside of a house. The connector in the box fit perfectly and by chance, I happened to have a leftover piece of scrap wood from a tank stand I made that was the perfect width of the RODI unit. So, as you can see from the pcitures, I can lean it against the washing machine, run the waste water (red) into the washer, and when done I just store the unit behind the laundry room door. I also made room under my bathroom sink for two 5 gallon buckets, with lids, that I bought at Home Depot for $13.68 (I'm in California btw so prices here with tax may be higher than in your area). This setup is perfect for me because I can store everything away easily, transport it easily, move it easily to a new apartment, etc. I filled one bucket, which took an hour, and used the waste water to wash a load of towels. I hear the waste water can be hard on clothes so I don't intend to use it to wash anything nice, but doing towels was perfect. Ok, all for this weekend. next step I think will be a 10 gallon tank 🙂       

AquaticLife 4 stage RODI.JPG

RODI Open Box.JPG

RODI Mount.JPG

RODI Setup.JPG

Storage.JPG

Under sink storage.JPG

• Like 3

Welcome @Jay_tankfan! Glad to see that we convinced you to take the plunge after all 😄 

You've certainly started off on the right foot with the purchase of an RO/DI unit. I love the way that you've set it up as well; your efficient use of rejected RO water is both very clever and environmentally friendly! Kudos 🙏

I can't wait to see what tank you end up settling on! Keep us posted on your progress ^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/7/2019 at 5:04 AM, Jay_tankfan said:

After 7 years of experience with 2 freshwater planted aquariums, I'm finally taking my first steps into saltwater. My plan is to document my experience here, post pics of my progress, purchases made, list prices paid, learn as much as possible, and hopefully help others with their experience. 

Temporary Apartment RODI Setup:

My first purchase in the pursuit of a saltwater tank was an RO unit. I purchased the AquaticLife 4 stage RODI unit online through Walmart and shipped from Big Al's Pets for $112.49, no shipping and no tax. Other prices I found online and at my local fish store (LFS) were $20 - $30 more expensive, so I opted to make this purchase online. I looked at several water connection options in my apartment, under the kitchen or bathroom sink, the shower, etc, but the plumbing wasn't the correct size and would have required some modification of the fittings etc., and I can't really make any changes to my apartment. Also, the apartment maintenance folks come into the apartment sometimes for general service and repairs and I just don't want to have to deal with any potential issues there. The best option turned out to be connecting the RODI unit to my washing machine hookup using the standard faucet connector, like you would see on the outside of a house. The connector in the box fit perfectly and by chance, I happened to have a leftover piece of scrap wood from a tank stand I made that was the perfect width of the RODI unit. So, as you can see from the pcitures, I can lean it against the washing machine, run the waste water (red) into the washer, and when done I just store the unit behind the laundry room door. I also made room under my bathroom sink for two 5 gallon buckets, with lids, that I bought at Home Depot for $13.68 (I'm in California btw so prices here with tax may be higher than in your area). This setup is perfect for me because I can store everything away easily, transport it easily, move it easily to a new apartment, etc. I filled one bucket, which took an hour, and used the waste water to wash a load of towels. I hear the waste water can be hard on clothes so I don't intend to use it to wash anything nice, but doing towels was perfect. Ok, all for this weekend. next step I think will be a 10 gallon tank 🙂       

AquaticLife 4 stage RODI.JPG

RODI Open Box.JPG

RODI Mount.JPG

RODI Setup.JPG

Storage.JPG

Under sink storage.JPG

That is a fantastic idea, I've been looking at Ro/DI units lately and given up for much the same reasons as you listed above.

How many Gallons does this produce in a day?

As a word of warning - be super, super, super careful when doing this. I'd very strongly suggest hooking it up by teeing off of the cold-water supply in your bathroom sink - you can just remove it when you move out, I did this in 3 different apartments and never had an issue - all you need is a single box wrench to install it. This way you can put your fill bucket in the tub and if it overflows or spills, it goes right down the drain.

When I first got my RODI, I hooked it up this way and one day I accidentally let it overfill and about 1/4 a gallon ended up overflowing onto the laundry room floor. Well, the overflow drain on the floor wasn't all that great and my downstairs neighbors ended up getting water in their laundry room below (thankfully it didn't cause major damage).

If you are going to keep your RODI unit in the laundry room, you absolutely need to get an overflow shutoff valve - doesn't matter if it's mechanical or a solenoid - you have to have one if your bucket isn't in a bath tub or garage.

Jay_tankfan
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

As a word of warning - be super, super, super careful when doing this. I'd very strongly suggest hooking it up by teeing off of the cold-water supply in your bathroom sink - you can just remove it when you move out, I did this in 3 different apartments and never had an issue - all you need is a single box wrench to install it. This way you can put your fill bucket in the tub and if it overflows or spills, it goes right down the drain.

When I first got my RODI, I hooked it up this way and one day I accidentally let it overfill and about 1/4 a gallon ended up overflowing onto the laundry room floor. Well, the overflow drain on the floor wasn't all that great and my downstairs neighbors ended up getting water in their laundry room below (thankfully it didn't cause major damage).

If you are going to keep your RODI unit in the laundry room, you absolutely need to get an overflow shutoff valve - doesn't matter if it's mechanical or a solenoid - you have to have one if your bucket isn't in a bath tub or garage. 

I agree, this setup is definitely prone to potential mishaps, and I'll be adapting things as needed going forward. What I did last weekend was start the water and set an alarm on my phone to go off every 5 minutes, at which time I poked my head in the laundry room and checked on it. This can develop into a huge pain but is ok for now. When making water I have to dedicate myself to the whole hour and avoid distractions, I look at it like giving an infant a bath or something. This sort of fits into my Sunday morning routine though as I generally wake up early, drink coffee, and surf the internet.

Jay_tankfan
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

That is a fantastic idea, I've been looking at Ro/DI units lately and given up for much the same reasons as you listed above.

How many Gallons does this produce in a day? 

The box says 100 GPD but it took me an hour and 10 minutes to fill a 5 gallon bucket, but my washing machine was half full! It really creates a lot of waste water, a full laundry load for sure. I couldn't really make more than that at one time. If I did I would have to pump the waste water into a separate storage barrel or something, like a brute trash can.  

Jay_tankfan
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

As an added precaution for overflow I am going to start putting the bucket into a larger bin, this way it won't go directly onto the floor if the bucket over flows. I know they make water sensing alarms too that I can put in the larger bin, so if that alarm sounds then I know the bucket has overflowed.

1 hour ago, Jay_tankfan said:

As an added precaution for overflow I am going to start putting the bucket into a larger bin, this way it won't go directly onto the floor if the bucket over flows. I know they make water sensing alarms too that I can put in the larger bin, so if that alarm sounds then I know the bucket has overflowed.

It's so much easier and cheaper to just toss the whole thing in the bathtub or shower. All you need is one of these (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-guest-angle-stop-valve.html) for $10 and a 3/8" or 1/4" box wrench depending on the cold water supply under the sink. Installs in 10 minutes, no cutting anything, and you can remove it in 10 minutes when you move out.

All you gotta do is turn the valve and it starts making water. When you are done, turn the valve off. Turn it on and forget about it - come back in a couple hours when the bucket is overflowing and turn it off.