Jump to content
Jaag

2.5 Gallon Pico Heater

Recommended Posts

Jaag

Just starting a 2.5 gallon pico and I need a reliable heater. What are you guys using?

Share this post


Link to post
Narzyzz_12

Neotherm 25w

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

I use a tetra. I've been using 1 in my betta tank for 2 yrs and it's been very reliable. 

 

I also use the same brand in my pico's.

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn

Cobalt mini-therm 10w with a Finnex temp controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy
29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use a tetra. I've been using 1 in my betta tank for 2 yrs and it's been very reliable. 

 

I also use the same brand in my pico's.

Is your tetra pretty constant in temp?  My tetra 50w fluctuates quite a bit but never beyond 1 degree.  

 

18 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Cobalt 10w with controller of choice.

Archaea 25w nano aquarium heater with included controller.

Get any constant on heater and couple it with a controller like the inkbird, finnex, or this cheapo I just scored.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+6780+5370&pcatid=5370

 

I was very tempted to buy that one too. Such a great deal!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911

Aqueon mini 10 watt, small, tiny, pico approved. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy
9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Aqueon mini 10 watt, small, tiny, pico approved. 

I'll check that out.  Can't seem to find the Cobalt 10w anywhere.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Is your tetra pretty constant in temp?  My tetra 50w fluctuates quite a bit but never beyond 1 degree.  

 

I was very tempted to buy that one too. Such a great deal!

Ya. Mine keep my tank at 77.

 

I got the preset which goes up to 78.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
49 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'll check that out.  Can't seem to find the Cobalt 10w anywhere.  

Both the aqueon and cobalt need a controller as they stay on constantly. 

 

I have the aqueon 10w. I could fry fish with it. 

I even tried with a timer with it on only 3 times a day and my tank would reach 84.5 and drop down to 74.

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Both the aqueon and cobalt need a controller as they stay on constantly. 

 

I have the aqueon 10w. I could fry fish with it. 

I even tried with a timer with it on only 3 times a day and my tank would reach 84.5 and drop down to 74.

Wow 😮 im at 79.5 right now and the heater has been running since last night. 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
4 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Wow 😮 im at 79.5 right now and the heater has been running since last night. 🤔 

They aren't designed to turn off and that's the issue. So you need a controller.

 

In the betta community they are known as fish fryers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They aren't designed to turn off and that's the issue. So you need a controller.

 

In the betta community they are known as fish fryers. 

 

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They aren't designed to turn off and that's the issue. So you need a controller.

 

In the betta community they are known as fish fryers. 

😂 thanks for the heads up, just looked at directions your right. Im getting a controller for this thing anyways so i should be good

F903B723-25A5-4BEC-961A-46C0665269AA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll

did you let it marinate for 30 min before you started cooking?  (third step in their unnumbered list)

 

I dunno, but it may need the actual water temp to correctly calibrate itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
8 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

did you let it marinate for 30 min before you started cooking?  (third step in their unnumbered list)

 

I dunno, but it may need the actual water temp to correctly calibrate itself.

🤣 I dont think I have ever Looked at any directions for my reef gear.... 😂 only thing I think ive read was back of bottle, testing stuff, thats about it. hahahahhahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
748S911

My heater is simmering now... just checked the temp im at 81.7 now 🥵

just in time for my chiller trial...gonna see how long my twin jets take to cool this puppy down. 

72388BC4-B377-4E8A-BF6C-346D46BAC203.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
19 hours ago, mcarroll said:

did you let it marinate for 30 min before you started cooking?  (third step in their unnumbered list)

 

I dunno, but it may need the actual water temp to correctly calibrate itself.

Yes. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
asting
On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, 748S911 said:

My heater is simmering now... just checked the temp im at 81.7 now 🥵

just in time for my chiller trial...gonna see how long my twin jets take to cool this puppy down. 

72388BC4-B377-4E8A-BF6C-346D46BAC203.jpeg

Why not just get a heater with a thermostat, or add a controller? simultaneously heating while blowing fans to cause evaporative cooling is hyper counter-productive.

 

I use the HT10, as it was the smallest heater i could find with a thermostat.

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
9 minutes ago, asting said:

Why not just get a heater with a thermostat, or add a controller? simultaneously heating while blowing fans to cause evaporative cooling is hyper counter-productive.

 

I use the HT10, as it was the smallest heater i could find with a thermostat.

Im squishing a Prime in the hood and need lots of cooling, didn't know my heater didn't have a thermostat.  I figured all those baby heaters had max cap at 78 degrees. All is great cause now I have a really hot heater and very chill fans with the thermostat I will be able to keep it at my desired temp all the time. So I have full control of my temp for less than 50 bucks 🙂. I'm not worried about evaporation. 

Share this post


Link to post
asting
36 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Im squishing a Prime in the hood and need lots of cooling, didn't know my heater didn't have a thermostat.  I figured all those baby heaters had max cap at 78 degrees. All is great cause now I have a really hot heater and very chill fans with the thermostat I will be able to keep it at my desired temp all the time. So I have full control of my temp for less than 50 bucks 🙂. I'm not worried about evaporation. 

no problemo! there are controllers that do both so you don't have to counter-act.

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
1 minute ago, asting said:

no problemo! there are controllers that do both so you don't have to counter-act.

like? and under 50 bucks? 

Share this post


Link to post
748S911

With the ai prime under the hood im sure in summer im gonna hit 85-88 degrees.  I didn't want to drop 200 on the csx1 chiller. 

Share this post


Link to post
asting
13 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

like? and under 50 bucks? 

Yep. The Inkbird 308 is the first that jumps to mind, which is $24 or something at BRS right now.

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
Just now, asting said:

Yep. The Inkbird 308 is the first that jumps to mind, which is $24 or something at BRS right now.

Im with you on that..The inkbird will not cool a tank at 88 degrees. It will just cut off heater. I need a full on chiller with the prime under the hood of a 2.5 gal pico. 

 

 The cheapest chiller I found was on amazon the vivo sun for 400 bucks 

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Ultrahigh-Refrigeration-Efficiency-Freshwater/dp/B07B7LBB47/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=aquarium%2Bchiller&qid=1554685785&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2-spons&th=1

 

 

I'm using two usb fans at 7.99 each and a 9.99 heater with a 24 dollar temp controller.....I cant justify using a 400 dollar chiller, this was my best bet.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...