Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nerites per gallon?

A.m.P

I love these saltwater nerite snails but I think I may have ended up with one too many, I currently have 4 in a 12 gallon innovative marine atoll alongside two ceriths (for the small rockwork). I'm running high enough par it may have literally cooked the diatoms off my upper rockwork (for a Maxima clam) and don't plan on stocking the tank with much besides coral and something small like a clown goby. Ideally I want a fairly low-water-change tank I dose with two-part and allow some nutrient to exist for the clam and corals. Should I take one of the nerites back to the LFS? I've read conflicting information ranging from 1 per 2 to 1 per 5 gallons, but the rating all seem to be for freshwater tanks. Atm I do 5% once a week and powder a single marine pellet every two to three days so I can keep the tank cycled and the inverts fed. 0 nitrates and phosphates, bare-bottom w/ 25 lbs live rock and enough matrix and "denitrate" for a 75 gallon tank in the filter chamber, alongside a chemipure blue nano satchel +carbon and 100 gallons worth of brightwell no3 out cubes (which I'm slowly removing because they're dissolving).

It depends more on the amount of algae that grows in your display for them to eat. They should be fine, but if you're worried you can always drop in a small bit of cucumber or algae sheet, although I doubt that would be necessary. 

Yeah, I was thinking about dropping in blanched cabbage or something for them, for now there's a fair bit of algae growing in the shade on the underside of the rockwork. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them ^^ Ended up somewhat concerned by the 1 per 5 gallon suggestions I kept seeing, didn't want to run into problems down the line. That said the atoll tank has the footprint of a 20 gallon, with half the height so maybe I have enough surface area anyway.

Appreciate the advice though, thank you.