SaltCritters.com

What's the best way to remove zoas from live rock?

Lognor

Looking for any tips or insight into the best way to remove zoas from live rock.  One of the zoas in my zoa garden is kind of taking over and spreading everywhere.  It would be fine if it was a really colorful or unique one, but of course it is the most bland, boring of the bunch.  I don't want it to choke out/off the colorful one's I want to grow instead.  What's the best way to remove them?  I'm thinking I am going to have to pull the whole rock from the tank and then scrape off the invasive one.  Thoughts?

IMG_9926-6.jpg

An Xacto knife, some forceps, proper PPE, and time. Zoas/ palys tolerate being out of the water pretty well, but I'd recommend dunking them every 5 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it will be easier with the rock out of the water, have the photo handy so you can remember approximately where the polyps are you want to remove.  I usually use a regular razor blade (like you use to clean the glass).  I save the 'used' glass cleaning ones for projects like this.  Can typically use it to get under the zoos and then scrape or flake some rock off with them, then glue down on some rubble to grow out and trade!

As said above, gloves and eye protection are suggested. 

Jerome

• Thanks 1