Nknoll

Brand new old aquapod 24g, first saltwater tank, many questions.

Nknoll

Hello everyone, first time posting. Also my first time building a salt water tank. Very excited to start the hobby and learn as much as I can. I had actually planned on starting a saltwater tank many years ago but real life got in the way, hence first part of my title to the thread. I recently opened and started an aquapod brand new 24g all in one tank that I had stored away for a long time. I realize the product is now discontinued and initially came on shelves more than a decade ago and I'm wondering if I made a mistake already starting my tank, since the only relevant information I can find about it seems to be on very old threads in random reef forums. Really hoping someone here has some experience with the tank because from what I've read it's not so great with stock components.

So what I know about the aquapod from the manual and what I've read is that it's a curved glass tank that has a two chambered back with on section containing a 260gph pump attached to an adjustment nozzle pointing into the display portion of the tank and the other section has a grate on the front and contains filter media including two sponges on top, two bags with ceramic rings underneath and black plastic bioballs on the bottom. The lid contains 3 lights of which I'm not entirely sure of their specifications but I do know one is an actinic light, one a day time light and third is an LED light. The lid also contains two fans, which are activated by turning on the day time light.

So far all I've done is added water and 7lbs of cured live rock from my local store exactly 9 days ago. I also removed all of the LED wiring out of the hood because it was the only component that didn't work out of the box.

Today I am adding a heater and an ice cap 1k gyre into the tank and replacement LED strip in the hood. Hopefully after that I will add what I understand as a "clean up crew" because I do believe I'm seeing some algae growth.

In the future I plan on adding a 15g sump underneath the tank which will house a nyos torq filter media to add more over all water to the system (39g total) and replace the stock aquapod filter media, from which I've read is not very good. I also plan on adding a pax bellum macro reactor underneath the tank in lieu of a refugium.

In terms of livestock I would like like a couple of clown fish, a dragonette, sps and lps and a handful of other fish I haven't decided on.

Does anyone here have experience with this tank? What ended up happening with it? What kind of modifications did you make to it?

Does anybody know the exact specifications of the stock lights in the lid of my tank and if so are they good enough as is or should I upgrade them? Is there a way to upgrade my lights using the stock fixture?

Can anybody identify the algea growing in my tank? What is the best suited clean up crew for my tank in it's current state?

Does anybody have any experience with the pax bellum reactor or the nyos torq filter media? Are these good upgrades for my tank? Does the algae reactor replace the need for a refugium as I've read? Will the nyos torq filter media accomplish and replace what my tanks stock media is supposed to, while in a sump? Will these two upgrades be able to sustain all the potential needs for my tank or are there other upgrades I should consider as well?

Here are pictures. Please excuse any rambling or run in sentences.

IMG_20190405_040642.jpg

IMG_20190405_040620.jpg

IMG_20190405_040447.jpg

IMG_20190405_040502.jpg

IMG_20190405_040537.jpg

IMG_20190405_040600.jpg

Nknoll

Snow_Phoenix

:welcome: to NR. Unfortunately, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Aquapod series (today is my first time hearing of it, actually), so I can't help much. Waiting for someone with more experience to chime in.

Nknoll

Nknoll

Clown79

Welcome to nano

I don't know anything about the aquapod.

you can easily make a media basket and ditch the stock media to use filter floss and carbon in the media basket.

The lighting is PC lighting, so the bulbs will need changing at around 8 months, unless you are replacing completely with LEDs.

PC lighting is old, not sure how easily they are to replace these days, depends on location.

Here I have not seen them available in a long time.

You could retrofit led in replacement or buy an led fixture and ditch the hood.

Can't comment on reactors or skimmers, I don't use either on my tanks.

With cured liverock you most likely will not go through s cycle, possibly a small spike that will process quickly.

The algae looks like diatoms which are normal and exhaust on their own. Adding a small cuc can help.

Clownfish are great but do a ton of research on dragonettes. They require special and dedicated care.

Nknoll
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Welcome to nano

I don't know anything about the aquapod.

you can easily make a media basket and ditch the stock media to use filter floss and carbon in the media basket.

The lighting is PC lighting, so the bulbs will need changing at around 8 months, unless you are replacing completely with LEDs.

PC lighting is old, not sure how easily they are to replace these days, depends on location.

Here I have not seen them available in a long time.

You could retrofit led in replacement or buy an led fixture and ditch the hood.

Can't comment on reactors or skimmers, I don't use either on my tanks.

With cured liverock you most likely will not go through s cycle, possibly a small spike that will process quickly.

The algae looks like diatoms which are normal and exhaust on their own. Adding a small cuc can help.

Clownfish are great but do a ton of research on dragonettes. They require special and dedicated care.

Thanks so much for the response, I greatly appreciate it 😊

What exactly is PC lighting? Do you have a good clean up crew in mind? Specific snails?

Clown79
1 hour ago, Nknoll said:

Thanks so much for the response, I greatly appreciate it 😊

What exactly is PC lighting? Do you have a good clean up crew in mind? Specific snails?

You're welcome.

PC lighting is power compact fluorescents. You can use them, people used them years ago. The down side is possible temp control, having to replace bulbs, and limitations to corals possibly.

I like to have a few nassaurius and ceriths which help keep the sand bed clean(recommend vacuuming sand during waterchanges as well)

Trochus snail and spiny star astrea.

Nknoll

I ordered the extra small clean up crew off of Marine Depot. 

Are replacement PC bulbs hard to find now a days? How long before I may need to replace them? If I decided to switch to a different form of lighting after these stock bulbs burn out, can I do it instantly or is there some sort of transition process?

If it turns out that the bulbs are just not stocked anywhere I will probably upgrade to an LED light system.

More pictures tonight after I add the equipment I ordered.

Nknoll

I put in a replacement LED light that strobes like a disco dance party. It was cheap and easy to do.

Also installed the heater.

Tomorrow the ice cap 1k gyre

IMG_20190405_205334.jpg

IMG_20190405_220529.jpg

MVIMG_20190405_220540.jpg

IMG_20190405_220549.jpg

Nknoll

Nknoll

Clown79

Bulb replacement depends on your location.

Here in Cda, I haven't seen PC bulbs in a long time, t5 is even limited.they will need replacing every 8 months if keeping corals.

You'll need to check online for availability of bulbs.

Yes you will need to acclimate any corals from PC to Led.

Nknoll

I think I'll be switching to a proper LED lighting system for reef tanks.. I can't seem to find a single replacement bulb that has the prongs I need for my lid. I also think my actinic light is half broken. It sounds like something is rattling inside of it and one half of the bulb looks slightly dimmer than the other side.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a LED lighting system on a 24gallon? I would remove the lid obviously but I'm not sure if a clip on the side light, a hang above light or one that rests on the rims of the tank (don't know what that set up is called) would be best.

I also have a clean up crew arriving tomorrow that I have questions about. I bought the extra small clean up crew from aquarium Depot which contains 

• 5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Red Leg Hermits
  • 2 Scarlett Leg Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Turbo Snails
  • 5 Nassarius Snails
  • 3 Cerith Snails

I'm wondering what to expect from the shipment? Will some be dead? Should I expect the clean up crew I put in now to be permanent residents? What kind of bio load do they add to the system over all? Does it affect the total amount of fish I can put in my tank? Is this a good clean up crew for my 24g tank with suspected diatoms?

Nknoll

Oh and will my clean up crew be affected by the actinic light being at 50%

asting
6 hours ago, Nknoll said:

Oh and will my clean up crew be affected by the actinic light being at 50%

Nope, no issue there!

You could ditch the hood, and get a clamp on light, or add in LED strips. Possibly mount a light under the old head.

I agree half your actinic is gone.

That is a lot of crabs (more than i'd want, since they tend to pick at things), but should be fine.

Privateer

Just a word of warning...gyre 1k moves a lot of water...I tried one in my 24x24 x12 30 gallon and lps couldn’t tolerate the flow at its lowest possible setting even with only 1 head configured....everything was blown all over..your experience may differ though.  Aqupods are neat little tanks I had one several years ago and liked it...good luck!

• Like 1

Clown79
18 hours ago, Nknoll said:

I think I'll be switching to a proper LED lighting system for reef tanks.. I can't seem to find a single replacement bulb that has the prongs I need for my lid. I also think my actinic light is half broken. It sounds like something is rattling inside of it and one half of the bulb looks slightly dimmer than the other side.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a LED lighting system on a 24gallon? I would remove the lid obviously but I'm not sure if a clip on the side light, a hang above light or one that rests on the rims of the tank (don't know what that set up is called) would be best.

I also have a clean up crew arriving tomorrow that I have questions about. I bought the extra small clean up crew from aquarium Depot which contains 

• 5 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Red Leg Hermits
  • 2 Scarlett Leg Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Turbo Snails
  • 5 Nassarius Snails
  • 3 Cerith Snails

I'm wondering what to expect from the shipment? Will some be dead? Should I expect the clean up crew I put in now to be permanent residents? What kind of bio load do they add to the system over all? Does it affect the total amount of fish I can put in my tank? Is this a good clean up crew for my 24g tank with suspected diatoms?

I never buy cuc packs. I buy them separate because if there isn't enough food source for them, they will die.

As for LED lights. There are tons to choose from in various budgets.

You could do one of the following

Ai Prime HD. Fantastic light.

nanobox- never used 1 but loved by many

viparspectra chines box - has great reviews, used by many.

Kessil- down side, you gotta buy the controller separately.

Nknoll

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Currently having issues getting my water parameters to the right levels. I'm not sure if my tank is not done cycling or if the filter media I have is bad. I put live rock and sand into the tank exactly 3 weeks ago. About 10 days after that a bunch of diatoms (I think) began to grow. Worried because the clean up crew is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm currently getting around 7.8 pH. 8.0 ppm ammonia, 0.5 ppm nitrite, 10 ppm nitrate, specific gravity 1.025. Using API saltwater master test kit.

Nknoll

These are levels after doing 25% water changes on back to back days.

Nknoll
On 4/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, Privateer said:

Just a word of warning...gyre 1k moves a lot of water...I tried one in my 24x24 x12 30 gallon and lps couldn’t tolerate the flow at its lowest possible setting even with only 1 head configured....everything was blown all over..your experience may differ though.  Aqupods are neat little tanks I had one several years ago and liked it...good luck!

It seems to be working great in my tank. I did have one small issue with the sand being blown out of the corner of the tank over the course of an entire day, but some repositioning of the live rock has definitely fixed that issue.

Nknoll

Tamberav

Aquapod was my first reef tank!!!

I used the stock lighting, grew softies great! I never tried LPS under it as I was just keeping it easy so can't help there but softies thrived, nepthea, zoas, mushrooms, xenia, cloves, toadstools, ect.

I think you can still get replacement bulbs online?? What kind of pins do they use? I forgot. 

These? 

http://www.suburbanreef.com/32-watt-dual-actinic-sunpaq-pc-lamp.html

http://www.suburbanreef.com/32-watt-dual-daylite-sunpaq-pc-lamp.html

I upgraded the return pump to a maxijet and ditched the media it came with. Instead I turned the middle chamber into a cheato area by scraping some of the black off the back and mounting a light on the back. In the first chamber I made a DIY media rack out of egg crate and did floss > carbon > purigen I think?

Nknoll
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Aquapod was my first reef tank!!!

I used the stock lighting, grew softies great! I never tried LPS under it as I was just keeping it easy so can't help there but softies thrived, nepthea, zoas, mushrooms, xenia, cloves, toadstools, ect.

I think you can still get replacement bulbs online?? What kind of pins do they use? I forgot. 

These? 

http://www.suburbanreef.com/32-watt-dual-actinic-sunpaq-pc-lamp.html

http://www.suburbanreef.com/32-watt-dual-daylite-sunpaq-pc-lamp.html

I upgraded the return pump to a maxijet and ditched the media it came with. Instead I turned the middle chamber into a cheato area by scraping some of the black off the back and mounting a light on the back. In the first chamber I made a DIY media rack out of egg crate and did floss > carbon > purigen I think?

Thanks so much for the reply. The bulbs have a square pin formation or German format. I've found one spot that has bulbs with these pins but I'm not entirely sure if they will work in my hood.

http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/contents/en-us/d557_55_Watt_Power_Compact_Bulbs.html

Why did you end up replacing the pump and filter media? We're they bad or just not good enough?

Nknoll

My clean up crew is now officially in my tank and most of them went right to work on the live rock. There do appear to be 4 that are either dying or dead... They've remained in the same spot since I put them in. Wondering how long I should give them to show some life before I consider them dead.

I'm also having a bit of a cloudy water issue at the moment. Not sure why but I'm hoping the issue resolves itself.

Pictures of the snails and crabs to come.