SaltCritters.com

Green everywhere

krenzcendo

Hi guys, 

I'm brand new to this forum and new to the hobby so apologies if I'm breaking any rules; I'm sure this is a very basic question. 

I've had my tank up and running for like 4 months but seemingly overnight EVERYTHING turned green. 
I'm fairly certain this is normal algae and is happening because I'm shining my light too many hours during a day. 

I really liked the eastetics of the white rock. How can i get all this green gone? Is it normal algae?

Thank you friends

0.JPG

IMG-2092.JPG

22 minutes ago, krenzcendo said:

Hi guys, 

I'm brand new to this forum and new to the hobby so apologies if I'm breaking any rules; I'm sure this is a very basic question. 

I've had my tank up and running for like 4 months but seemingly overnight EVERYTHING turned green. 
I'm fairly certain this is normal algae and is happening because I'm shining my light too many hours during a day. 

I really liked the eastetics of the white rock. How can i get all this green gone? Is it normal algae?

Thank you friends

0.JPG

IMG-2092.JPG

Totally normal for the beginning. 😊 

• Like 1

how are these people lately getting that toxic green algae color? 

This is the second time ive seen it that fluorescent green.  

In all my life keeping tanks, i dont think i have ever once seen it that toxic green until i came on this forum.  

I really like that green color, but im curious on what causes it to be that bright.  

If it is algae, may i suggest you grab a couple of Astraea snails, as they will make your rock white again, and are very excellent at CUC. 

Also you may want to ask someone more familar in clowns, but i think you have too many, and they may end up declaring war on each other later on, to decide who gets to become Queen.   

5 minutes ago, krenzcendo said:

Is this something I should just leave? I don't love the way it looks. Is it beneficial? I hate green haha

I wouldn’t mess with it other than having a normal clean up crew. 

Snow_Phoenix
11 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

how are these people lately getting that toxic green algae color? 

This is the second time ive seen it that fluorescent green.  

In all my life keeping tanks, i dont think i have ever once seen it that toxic green until i came on this forum.  

I really like that green color, but im curious on what causes it to be that bright.  

If it is algae, may i suggest you grab a couple of Astraea snails, as they will make your rock white again, and are very excellent at CUC. 

Also you may want to ask someone more familar in clowns, but i think you have too many, and they may end up declaring war on each other later on, to decide who gets to become Queen.   

Technically, he can always make this a clownfish harem tank in the future once he gets his algae problem resolved. 

OP, having algae is not unusual for a young tank. And I agree with WVReefer - you need a solid CUC. Look into getting some snails especially, like turbos, astreas, turbans etc. Most of them will munch on film algae. You can also cut down your photoperiod, but I think you're just going through the 'ugly algae' stage that most new tanks go through. Some people get major diatom blooms or GHA too. 

• Like 2

Thank you everybody for the comments. Yes the goal is for this to be a clown harrem tank. I want to get some nice anemone in here once everything is nice and settled. Its 9 clownfish in a 45 gallon which I know is pushing it but I don't plan on adding any other fish. 

I put in ~30 small snails and ~30 small crabs when I started the tank. I suppose I'll get a good amount of additional clean up crew members. I'll also decrease the daylight time a bit because the green is really only a problem on the areas of the rock that are exposed directly to my light. 

Are there any other ways to get rid of this? Will it completely go away naturally if I do the above?

Thank you friends. 

• Like 2
Just now, krenzcendo said:

Thank you everybody for the comments. Yes the goal is for this to be a clown harrem tank. I want to get some nice anemone in here once everything is nice and settled. Its 9 clownfish in a 45 gallon which I know is pushing it but I don't plan on adding any other fish. 

I put in ~30 small snails and ~30 small crabs when I started the tank. I suppose I'll get a good amount of additional clean up crew members. I'll also decrease the daylight time a bit because the green is really only a problem on the areas of the rock that are exposed directly to my light. 

Are there any other ways to get rid of this? Will it completely go away naturally if I do the above?

Thank you friends. 

The tank is looking great. This is really a non issue...... there’s a reason some people call it the ugly stage. 😊 just let it ride. 

• Like 2

Coraline algae can be green, is it hairy?  Can you scrap it off?

If can scrap off, algae, If does not scrap off green coraline algae, a good thing