Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae

SeaFurn

On 4/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, Tigahboy said:

Welp. I'll admit I'm dying to know what your stocking plans are now.  Lol. When will we find out?  Like as you are actually adding to the tank or sometime before??

Hmmm.....we're gonna keep you in suspense just little longer.... you'll know before I start adding to the tank though!  I'm so excited @Got Corals

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Hmmm.....we're gonna keep you in suspense just little longer.... you'll know before I start adding to the tank though!  I'm so excited @Got Corals

This hobby requires too much patience.

• Haha 6
10 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

@SeaFurn so when can I buy some Baby RFA’s from you? My Pico is quite bare

It would still look bare because the babies are still so tiny! 

I haven’t shipped any yet but maybe we could do a trial with a juvenile this summer once I’ve got the contest tank filled. 

This guy is extra salty
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

It would still look bare because the babies are still so tiny! 

I haven’t shipped any yet but maybe we could do a trial with a juvenile this summer once I’ve got the contest tank filled. 

🤤

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I've shipped one before.  I just put it in a water bottle.  Then when the recipient got it, they just cut the plastic around it to expose the anemone.  It should come off the plastic pretty easily.  I don't know if that's a better way than anyway else, but it was a water tight way to ship it; plus I figured it couldn't get crushed that way.

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I've shipped one before.  I just put it in a water bottle.  Then when the recipient got it, they just cut the plastic around it to expose the anemone.  It should come off the plastic pretty easily.  I don't know if that's a better way than anyway else, but it was a water tight way to ship it; plus I figured it couldn't get crushed that way.

Specimen containers, they’re fairly cheap!

@SeaFurn I believe I spent 8$ for 24 of them.

4907750E-8AB0-4F2B-A4F4-98B9BAF46FA2.thumb.jpeg.c9111fefde71f4d256d3fcc5460a1f63.jpeg1DB3D382-C50E-4D43-8155-C4C66CD7B5BF.thumb.jpeg.e71be242c73439ab1cb806ad434a2841.jpeg

If you have reef supplements in them and have them in your car tell the cop they’re toxic. Just a FYI (I had one cop lick/taste chemiclean, I couldn’t stop laughing🤮)

😂 

• Haha 6
  • Wow 2

@SeaFurn I'm interested in your RFAs for my pico as well.  If the price is right, I could add the following to the title of my thread: "featuring SeaFurn who is featuring GotCoral".   

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
This guy is extra salty
48 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@SeaFurn I'm interested in your RFAs for my pico as well.  If the price is right, I could add the following to the title of my thread: "featuring SeaFurn who is featuring GotCoral".   

Too funny

• Like 3
4 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Specimen containers, they’re fairly cheap!

@SeaFurn I believe I spent 8$ for 24 of them.

4907750E-8AB0-4F2B-A4F4-98B9BAF46FA2.thumb.jpeg.c9111fefde71f4d256d3fcc5460a1f63.jpeg1DB3D382-C50E-4D43-8155-C4C66CD7B5BF.thumb.jpeg.e71be242c73439ab1cb806ad434a2841.jpeg

If you have reef supplements in them and have them in your car tell the cop they’re toxic. Just a FYI (I had one cop lick/taste chemiclean, I couldn’t stop laughing🤮)

😂

Omg hilarious! 

....“I swear officer, it’s just kalkwasser!”

I actually have a bunch of those specimen cups - seems that the doctor’s office always has them stocked in this little cabinet in the bathroom - along with black Sharpie pens....

Kidding! I got them from Got Corals of course!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Haha! I’m thinking we gotta do this before the contest is over!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has been the strangest cycle.  Ammonia is down to 0.2.  No apparent nitrites or nitrates.  I did run my finger along the inside of the bucket and it's covered in brown slmy "goo" - diatoms? Cyano?  Rocks are clean though.   So maybe the "goo" consumed the nitrates?

And for you @Tigahboy here's a hint - euphyllia & LPS....and more!

40723843483_5160dc4184_b.jpg

• Like 2

Oooh.  Love me some euphyllia & LPS.   Yeah, you are having a strange cycle.  Weird no nitrites or nitrates ever.   Are you going to try to dose 2ppm ammonia again?

17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Oooh.  Love me some euphyllia & LPS.   Yeah, you are having a strange cycle.  Weird no nitrites or nitrates ever.   Are you going to try to dose 2ppm ammonia again?

I was thinking I might change half the water, add a little more MB7, dose to 2ppm ammonia, and see where I am after a day. 

Shooting to have the jank tank wet - and maybe some coral in it - by the end of next weekend!

• Like 6
21 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I was thinking I might change half the water, add a little more MB7, dose to 2ppm ammonia, and see where I am after a day. 

Shooting to have the jank tank wet - and maybe some coral in it - by the end of next weekend!

To be honest, some of these pico entries are INSANELY stocked for the competition being 26 days in. I've been hesitant to add anything to my tank aside from the hitchhiker Zoas and one tiny candy cane. I'm just sorta waiting for the CUC and letting things settle in. I'm surprised some of these tanks look like they've been running for months already!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

To be honest, some of these pico entries are INSANELY stocked for the competition being 26 days in. I've been hesitant to add anything to my tank aside from the hitchhiker Zoas and one tiny candy cane. I'm just sorta waiting for the CUC and letting things settle in. I'm surprised some of these tanks look like they've been running for months already!

I think some people were anticipating this contest given all the pre-announcement chatter and started getting their tanks ready to go. That was smart and so they are a little ahead. As impatient as I seem, I’m fine with where things are now. I’ll probably end up dropping a bunch of coral in at one time in the near future when the rocks are ready and then work at keeping it alive and hopefully thriving. 6 months isn’t all that long, so I’m not sure how filled in and lush it will look at the end of the contest but that’s fine - I hope to have this tank running for a couple years if possible. 

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I think some people were anticipating this contest given all the pre-announcement chatter and started getting their tanks ready to go. That was smart and so they are a little ahead. As impatient as I seem, I’m fine with where things are now. I’ll probably end up dropping a bunch of coral in at one time in the near future when the rocks are ready and then work at keeping it alive and hopefully thriving. 6 months isn’t all that long, so I’m not sure how filled in and lush it will look at the end of the contest but that’s fine - I hope to have this tank running for a couple years if possible. 

No, I get it. I was one of those people, and had rock in buckets with heaters and power heads before the contest began. 

I guess some people had a bunch of corals lined up admission well. No biggie, I have stuff now that I need to place in the pico. But I don’t feel like there is any rush really 

• Like 4
On 4/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, SeaFurn said:

I think some people were anticipating this contest given all the pre-announcement chatter and started getting their tanks ready to go. 

Yeah... I'm definitely not cycled or even near ready to add coral yet... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Rocks are cooked but still in holding in the bucket.  

Here's an FTS to see how the set-up looks in my office.  You can see from this picture where I'm going to have some shadowing in the tank.

Luckily, my aquascape accounts for that, so there won't be anything under the overhang of the filter in the shadows.  I think I'll be OK with this one PAR38 bulb but I've got a couple of goosenecks available and an extra bulb if it comes to needing more.   I should have it wet this weekend when I'll have some free time.  

4/30/19 - FTS

46955887144_20cdcec45d_b.jpg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

It’s wet!

46858420855_cde7b0ae3f_b.jpg

Yay!!

I like those rocks too, they have personality. I like rocks with all sorts of little nooks and crannies in them...

Suddenly I'm craving english muffins.....

• Haha 5
7 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That filter!!

What? You don’t like it? 😂😂

You think I’m over compensating for something? 

(Like maybe 2.5 gallon tank or something???)

• Haha 4
51 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Yay!!! Your rocks do look very unique (;

Let’s hope I can get them colored up quickly so @MetaTank doesn’t over do it on English Muffins...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae