inTank Media Baskets

Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae

SeaFurn

2 minutes ago, asting said:

Yes, but where will the heater fit?

I assume it will go on the left, that whole open chamber to the left of the media rack goes all the way to the bottom, since the pump for the Tidal is technically in the tank itself

4 minutes ago, asting said:

ah that makes sense!

I just looked over this filter on the site. The "maintenance" alert is pretty funny.

Yeah that feature seems a little ridic. 🤪

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I have a soft side for these janky tanks.  They take me back to my childhood!

I read you're in Savannah in another thread.  Very cool!  How often do you get to ATL?   

Yes, I've got lots of baby RFAs and fingers crossed for bunches more in about 6-7 weeks! They are pretty small still and will be for awhile as they grow pretty slowly but when they are bigger I'm sure we can work something out!

! am really loving all of these small tanks.  I watch my tank more than I do my 75 now.

My mom lives in Dalton so we go through Atlanta 8-9 times a year.  I would love to get some RFA from you sometime, I have about 16 but they are all smaller.  The biggest is about 2 inches across now and the smallest is about an inch across.

• Like 3

Cut up a plastic binder for the background.  Waterproof. Easy to clean.  Kinda janky....but doesn't look bad.  Matches the rim. 😂

40583060403_98a08281ae_b.jpg

Working on the bottom of the tank now. The silicone job is bad so getting this to seal flat to the bottom on the edges is gonna be a challenge. 

33672417248_6119f960a6_b.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, asting said:

Haha nice background. Why not just paint?

Didn't have any paint and had the binder just laying around!   Lazy I guess....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Cut up a plastic binder for the background.  Waterproof. Easy to clean.  Kinda janky....but doesn't look bad.  Matches the rim. 😂

40583060403_98a08281ae_b.jpg

Working on the bottom of the tank now. The silicone job is bad so getting this to seal flat to the bottom on the edges is gonna be a challenge. 

33672417248_6119f960a6_b.jpg

Sweet, easy home diy upgrades.

28 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Didn't have any paint and had the binder just laying around!   Lazy I guess....

Maybe I'm just a hoarder but I've got maybe 10-15 cans of rattle from various projects.

If I wanted mauve I'm sol, but black and white are good.

Not much new....

Got the ABS attached to the bottom of the tank.  Had to trim the corners to get it to lay flat.

46642956335_99bbeb6ba2_b.jpg

Media rack glued together.  Also figured out the heater holder - using egg crate and a silicone ring at the bottom of the heater itself.

46642958775_3f2a1dbd8f_b.jpg

Rocks are still cooking in the bucket.

47558594351_8629b869a6_b.jpg

Lots of ammonia...no nitrites yet.

47505657242_038068f060_b.jpg

• Like 5

Can't tell for sure with that Red Sea kit, but I might guess that it's over 5 ppm.  If that's true, your cycle will slow down.  I'd do a big water change to try to get it down closer to 2 ppm.  That should get things going again.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Can't tell for sure with that Red Sea kit, but I might guess that it's over 5 ppm.  If that's true, your cycle will slow down.  I'd do a big water change to try to get it down closer to 2 ppm.  That should get things going again.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I did hit the bucket with a little more MB7 when I saw that color! 

Ammonia is back down to ~2 ppm after a partial water change the other day.  Added more MB7.  Yawn....

Maybe I should practice cutting some glass while I wait.

40623205393_2978c49ae7_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm just waiting around for my cycle too.  May we both have a speedy one!  🙂

I hope we do!

I’m trying to be patient. I may tinker around with it a bit this weekend.

Need to consult with @Got Corals on the NOTORIOUS plan! 

At least yours is wet and has a cool scape that’s the talk of the town already!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I hope we do!

I’m trying to be patient. I may tinker around with it a bit this weekend.

Need to consult with @Got Corals on the NOTORIOUS plan! 

At least yours is wet and has a cool scape that’s the talk of the town already!

Really looking forward to seeing what you will be stocking with Got Corals!  

I don't know about talk of the town, but it is definitely the first to get aiptasia (and I'm sure there will be more).  I think there's a pest category, right?  😂

2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I don't know about talk of the town, but it is definitely the first to get aiptasia (and I'm sure there will be more).  I think there's a pest category, right?  😂

You definitely are in the early lead for the Worst Infestation bonus award! 😂

• Haha 4
11 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Mine is super slow too.   Maybe there should be a category for slowest cycle.  

I think maybe there should be!

My impatience is just showing. I’m really excited to get going on this one. We’ve got an awesome plan brewing! 

Ammonia had dropped to 1.2 but there was nada of nitrites or nitrates. I would have thought that since some ammonia had processed, I would have seen tinges of one of those at least. I’m wondering if my test kits are expired or maybe it could be user error. 

I don’t test for either of those that often but you’d think I could follow directions...

Changed a little more water, hit it with more MB7, and turned up the flow in the bucket. 

Now to to catch up on some of the other contest threads. These contestants are prolific in their posts! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
36 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I think maybe there should be!

My impatience is just showing. I’m really excited to get going on this one. We’ve got an awesome plan brewing! 

Ammonia had dropped to 1.2 but there was nada of nitrites or nitrates. I would have thought that since some ammonia had processed, I would have seen tinges of one of those at least. I’m wondering if my test kits are expired or maybe it could be user error. 

I don’t test for either of those that often but you’d think I could follow directions...

Changed a little more water, hit it with more MB7, and turned up the flow in the bucket. 

Now to to catch up on some of the other contest threads. These contestants are prolific in their posts! 

Could be that it was processed to nitrates, and then consumed by algae, coral, etc.

Welp. I'll admit I'm dying to know what your stocking plans are now.  Lol. When will we find out?  Like as you are actually adding to the tank or sometime before??

On 4/20/2019 at 10:04 AM, asting said:

Could be that it was processed to nitrates, and then consumed by algae, coral, etc.

I'm not seeing any algae in the bucket at all and there are no corals.  It's just so weird.  Will test it again tomorrow and see where things are at.

• SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae