Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae

SeaFurn

On 5/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, kimdawg said:

Your tank looks great, have fun on your vacay.

Thanks!  We were in Nokomis/Venice FL and had a great time.   Weather was awesome, found some sharks tee'th on the beach and saw the biggest hermit crab I've ever seen on a rock in some shallow water as I was paddling a kayak back to the landing.  This thing had to be the size of my fist.  I was bummed I didn't have my camera with me. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

The tank fared well on vacation as far as I can tell.  The only real issue was a ricordia had been knocked off the rocks by a snail and was upside down in the tank.  The Bob Marley zoas are closed  up and have been since I got back.  Not sure what's up with them. The cat eyes are open so maybe the BM's are getting too much flow.  I w as going to glue some things down today but not sure I should glue those just yet.  

I also seeded the tank with some copepods and dosed some live phyto yesterday. 

Question for the group - since I just seeded the tank should I wait to do a water change?  I don't want to suck the copepods right out...but maybe that's not really an issue.

I bought @William 's Kessil A80 since he got the Nanbox Tide, so I'm excited to get that on the tank.  It's got a little more power than the ABi Tuna Bue PAR38 but I'm looking forward to a little controlability, a little less blue light, and not having a big lamp hanging over the tank.  Pics to come. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

The tank fared well on vacation as far as I can tell.  The only real issue was a ricordia had been knocked off the rocks by a snail and was upside down in the tank.  The Bob Marley zoas are closed  up and have been since I got back.  Not sure what's up with them. The cat eyes are open so maybe the BM's are getting too much flow.  I w as going to glue some things down today but not sure I should glue those just yet.  

I also seeded the tank with some copepods and dosed some live phyto yesterday. 

Question for the group - since I just seeded the tank should I wait to do a water change?  I don't want to suck the copepods right out...but maybe that's not really an issue.

I bought @William 's Kessil A80 since he got the Nanbox Tide, so I'm excited to get that on the tank.  It's got a little more power than the ABi Tuna Bue PAR38 but I'm looking forward to a little controlability, a little less blue light, and not having a big lamp hanging over the tank.  Pics to come. 

I actually really started to like the light after I bought the tide and you paid me. I think you are going to love it, it should hopefully be arriving shortly 

tbh if you hadn’t already paid me i would have most likely just kept it.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, SeaFurn said:

Heading down to FL for a vacation this week so I’ll get my May FTS posted now.

Took this shot a week ago which was a few days after I had got the corals into the tank. They were still acclimating and are in there randomly. I can’t wait to get them glued down. Definitely have a lot of “green” in the tank so going to need to add some other colors. 

And I’m now officially in the reef sticker club! 

May 19, 2019

47935806827_83bf54afdf_b.jpg

nice sticker placement

• Like 3
On 5/26/2019 at 8:29 AM, SeaFurn said:

Heading down to FL for a vacation this week so I’ll get my May FTS posted now.

Took this shot a week ago which was a few days after I had got the corals into the tank. They were still acclimating and are in there randomly. I can’t wait to get them glued down. Definitely have a lot of “green” in the tank so going to need to add some other colors. 

And I’m now officially in the reef sticker club! 

May 19, 2019

47935806827_83bf54afdf_b.jpg

Tank is looking sweet!!! 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

nice sticker placement

The Nano-Reef sticker coming in the mail that I won is going to perfect on the right side. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Changed the scape slightly and finally got the coral glued down - well, except for the ricordea. Not sure where I want that to go.  I've got one in a cup of rubble in back hoping it attaches.

Dosing a little phyto regularly.  The 3 snails in the tank are keeping things clean.  Weekly 100% water changes are a breeze!  Other than that, just letting things settle.  Still need to get my Nano Reef sticker on the tank and put the new light on, although, the coral are looking good under the Par 38 so not sure about that just yet. Here are some photos...let me know if you have any suggestions/comments on the coral placement so far.

48046769667_1a38d23fba_b.jpg

48046717503_af1fe97906_b.jpg

48046729353_66cbbb4227_b.jpg

48046785237_f255b92209_b.jpg

I put coral on my Father's Day wish list!  Need to fill this tank up!!

• Like 12
This guy is extra salty
On 6/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, SeaFurn said:

Changed the scape slightly and finally got the coral glued down - well, except for the ricordea. Not sure where I want that to go.  I've got one in a cup of rubble in back hoping it attaches.

Dosing a little phyto regularly.  The 3 snails in the tank are keeping things clean.  Weekly 100% water changes are a breeze!  Other than that, just letting things settle.  Still need to get my Nano Reef sticker on the tank and put the new light on, although, the coral are looking good under the Par 38 so not sure about that just yet. Here are some photos...let me know if you have any suggestions/comments on the coral placement so far.

48046769667_1a38d23fba_b.jpg

48046717503_af1fe97906_b.jpg

48046729353_66cbbb4227_b.jpg

48046785237_f255b92209_b.jpg

I put coral on my Father's Day wish list!  Need to fill this tank up!!

I asked for the same thing

• Like 1
On 6/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

I asked for the same thing

Get anything good??? 

I got some shirts...but I’m supposed to work from home on Tuesday...”to meet a guy about a painting quote”.  🤔

Hoping that guy actually drives a FedEx truck full of coral!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

New additions for Father’s Day! 

Just a couple of pics of the ones that weren’t still pissed from the dip and scrub last night. Stay tuned for pics of the others!

48088966601_aca2409030_b.jpg

48089002378_11c864592d_b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 3
  • 2 weeks later...

We had an AC failure yesterday so I worked at keeping the tanks cool all day. The pico maxed out at 84.  I had fans blowing full blast on it. Evaporation was unbelievable. All the inhabitants seem fine. Glad it didn’t get above 84. 

AC unit is getting replaced right now. Definitely puts the screws to the coral budget. 

More pics soon. 

• Like 3

Glad you were able to keep things safe. I've cycled 3 modest sized containers of frozen RODI in/out of the aquarium to keep temps safe during similar emergencies. Once, I came back to around 84 - 86 F temps on several systems (evap line punctured); there were no losses, mild damage - for an idea of threshold. Really good thing you were there  😅  Looking forward to the pics!

• Like 2

It’s agonizing (and fascinating) watching this hammer split. It just seems like it hurts, especially since it’s been all shriveled up like this as it’s been going through the process. 

48268668686_9e6a01a48d_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
On 7/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, SeaFurn said:

It’s agonizing (and fascinating) watching this hammer split. It just seems like it hurts, especially since it’s been all shriveled up like this as it’s been going through the process. 

48268668686_9e6a01a48d_b.jpg

It's really cool seeing corals split or grow.

My frogspawn looked like it was going to explode one day...it was just splitting. Lol.

• Like 2

Sorry for lack of updates and responses to all

of your amazing pico tanks. It’s been a busy summer and I have been traveling a lot for work. Hopefully I can find some time to get caught up. Here’s a quick update on my pico. 

New additions to the tank include some dwarf ceriths and this blue leg hermit. He’s been doing a great job keeping the tank clean and he’s quite entertaining, much to the chagrin of the corals.

48351630732_42d9bf64cf_b.jpg

For the most part everything is doing well. I’m see new sprouts on some of the zoas, the hammer is splitting, and the sps is encrusting well - almost covering the frag plugs! (Check out an earlier pic of the green one for comparison.)

The bubble gum digi seems to have lost some color and PE has been limited. It’s encrusting has slowed as well.  I’m not sure what’s going on since the others are doing well. 

I’ve been feeding the tank twice per week with coral frenzy and I’ve also been adding phyto a couple of times per week.  Needless to say, nutrients are still non-existent. 

I’m doing full water changes and changing the floss each weekend. I’m changing the carbon every month. 

In the FTS I’ll post below, you’ll see I’m using a pipette as a diverter on the filter. It’s really helped get water moving to the right side of the tank. 

And finally, the tank is sporting the N-R sticker I won. Love it! Thank you @Christopher Marks

July FTS and top down:

48351504796_e4efd709cb_b.jpg

48351643252_47f5628bcb_b.jpg

Need more coral!! 

• Like 7
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae