inTank Media Baskets

Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae

SeaFurn

This guy is extra salty
17 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

What? You don’t like it? 😂😂

You think I’m over compensating for something? 

(Like maybe 2.5 gallon tank or something???)

Lol 😂 

Behind the scenes shot.

33951076218_aa6429ae1f_b.jpg

The tank will be sitting in a plastic container lid. Definitely janky but it will catch all my spills and Mrs. Seafurn is happy I  won’t ruin the cabinet (since it’s not really a fish tank stand.) If you look back at the previous photo you probably didn’t even notice it was sitting in a lid. 

I’ve organized the wires a bit.

The temp has been steady all week at 77 and evaporation hasn’t been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. 

I scraped some coralline from the 45 and seeded the pico. 

Recent tests: 

Salalinity: 1.025

Alk: 8.9 dKH.

(Using RS blue bucket)

And the BIG news is corals arrive on Tuesday! 

• Like 9

Wow!  Could this be coralline already?  I just seeded the tank a few days ago.

32904416207_b978426d8d_b.jpg

Corals are arriving this morning!!  :happydance:omgomgomg

• Like 8

Everything is still a bit pissy, especially the acan that I scrubbed with a toothbrush, but here's a top down teaser!   And everything is just in there in random spots right now. 

Added today from @Got Corals - frogspawn, hammer, a couple ricordia, cat eye & Bob Marley zoas, bubble gum digi.  I pulled an acan and some GSP on a frag plug from my 45. 

Sandy also sent an RFA, which I said I wasn't going to put in this tank, but I may after I find spots for the coral and glue it down.  Finding the right spot for the coral is my challenge because I don't really have a good eye for it.  I may make that frogspawn a centerpiece though.  Gonna need a lot more coral!!

47851938941_30d9b41c1d_b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 4

I’m loving the frogspawn...which appears to be loving the tank!

This picture is about how my eye sees it. The purple tips are a little more purple in reality. 

32914727717_e5e43aeca3_b.jpg

• Like 10
12 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I love frogspawn.  If I had the space, I'd add one too.  

Yours is really nice.

Thanks!

I don’t know how fast they grow but I know they get big. So I need to take that into consideration when placing it and be prepared to frag it to keep it pico friendly. 

• Like 1

Coral is settling in!

Tank has been running a little warmer (79) the last several days but shouldn’t be a problem. Not sure why though.

Still scheming where to eventually place the coral. Not gonna mess with until I have a plan.

I want more already!!! 

47822317432_b7ef50ac87_b.jpg

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Coral is settling in!

Tank has been running a little warmer (79) the last several days but shouldn’t be a problem. Not sure why though.

Still scheming where to eventually place the coral. Not gonna mess with until I have a plan.

I want more already!!! 

Corals look nice. 😊

• Like 1
On 5/18/2019 at 6:35 AM, SeaFurn said:

Coral is settling in!

I want more already!!! 

Coral is addicting, I know the feeling...lol! I’m trying to hold off for an event on June 2nd, but finding it impossible to stop myself from picking up a frag here and there

I was traveling for work this week so didn’t really do anything with the tank. Did come home to find some GHA starting to form on some of the rocks. I’m guessing it was introduced from one of the frags from the 45. I’m pretty sure I don’t have any phosphates and nearly 0 nitrates so not sure why this is taking off.

Did do a full water change this morning and scrubbed the rocks with a little peroxide so hopefully that will nip it for now. Love how fast you can do a water change in these picos!

Any one know why my frogspawn has this “bubble”? It looks like some kind of membrane that’s covered its mouth. It’s been this way for about a week. 

47929467061_2d1694f94e_b.jpg

• Like 2

Eeew aaaww... Really like your coral selection!

I love the frogspawn, however I have no idea what that bubble is.

When you say you're scrubbing your GHA on the rocks with peroxide...

Could you post in a little detail what you do that works for you?

I have a couple spots on my rock that need attention & eradication. Any help is very much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Wendy said:

Eeew aaaww... Really like your coral selection!

I love the frogspawn, however I have no idea what that bubble is.

When you say you're scrubbing your GHA on the rocks with peroxide...

Could you post in a little detail what you do that works for you?

I have a couple spots on my rock that need attention & eradication. Any help is very much appreciated!

Since the coral isn’t glued down and it’s easy to take the rocks out of the tank, it’s an easy process. 

I simply mix part hydrogen peroxide and part tank water in a small cup and then dip a brush (new toothbrush or similar) in it and scrub the rocks where the algae is. I then rinse it thoroughly with clean salt water and put it back in the tank. 

The peroxide will kill the algae but you ultimately have to find and eliminate the root of the problem. It’s usually caused by excessive nutrients in the tank.  But, in my situation, I don’t think that’s my problem, so I’m going to have to figure out what’s going on if it comes right back.  It’s definitely diamtoms which you’d expect with a new tank and it’s not cyano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Amphrites said:

From what I've read the bubble can mean it's splitting into two heads.

That’s interesting. It would be cool if it did...but I kinda need it to stay small! Haha!

I watched a hammer split in my reefbowl one time and it just looked like crap through the whole process. 

• Like 1

Heading down to FL for a vacation this week so I’ll get my May FTS posted now.

Took this shot a week ago which was a few days after I had got the corals into the tank. They were still acclimating and are in there randomly. I can’t wait to get them glued down. Definitely have a lot of “green” in the tank so going to need to add some other colors. 

And I’m now officially in the reef sticker club! 

May 19, 2019

47935806827_83bf54afdf_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae