ReefCleaners.org

Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae

SeaFurn

Better late than never so here we go!   I had so much fun a couple of years back in the 100 Days of Nano's contest that I thought I'd join in on the fun on this one!  I can't promise that I'll be able to keep up with all the action on everyone's' contest pages but I'll try my best. 

My hope for this tank is that, even though it's going to be janky on the outside, it ends up being beautiful on the inside, with stable parameters and thriving corals.  Future TOTM?  Probably not, but it's good to have a stretch goal, right?

Speaking of corals, that's going to be my focus in these 2.5 gallons - so no RFAs or baby RFAs in this one.  

And who better to help me with that than my friends at @Got Corals !   Since my RFA obsession  began, Sandy has been so helpful with all my RFA's.  When I mentioned doing this contest and having her help me, she didn't even hesitate!  I'm really looking forward to the collaboration on this! We are still kicking around ideas so stay tuned. 

Tank - Tetra 2.5 gallon

Filter - Seachem Tidal 55 - this thing is a beast - flow won't be a problem. Probably won't use the intake tube at all.  Plan on making a media and heater holder from egg crate.

Heater - Cobalt Mini-therm 10w

Temp Controller - Finnex

Lighting - ABi 12w Tuna Blue Par 38 bulbs - we'll see

ATO - manual top offs for now   XPAqua Duetto

Substrate - going bare bottom on this one; will probably use white ABS over the bottom glass

Lid - have an Aqueon glass lid but need to watch @seabass 's glass cutting tutorial first - so I gave it a shot....I got it cut but it's also jagged and cracked.  DIY is not my thing.

Livestock - Coral, CUC, possibly an invert

Shark nose goby from Algae Barn

Ricordia  (Got Corals)

Zoas  (Got Corals)

Sexy Peach Galaxy palys (from @Weetabix7 orginally in reefbowl)

Pink Lemonade acro 

Bubblegum digitata  (Got Corals)

Forest Fire digitata  (Got Corals)

Psammacora  (Got Corals)

Rainbow Stylophora  (Got Corals)

Frogspawn  (Got Corals)

Hammer  (Got Corals)

Acan (originally in reefbowl)   

GSP  (from @Weetabix7  originally in 100 Days of Nano's tank)

Dwarf ceriths  (Reef Cleaners)

Florida ceriths  (Reef Cleaners)

Rock's are cycling in a bucket.  May throw some rocks from my 45 into the bucket to speed things up.

Now for some pictures - 

46814825644_60e899ac2d_b.jpg

32596017527_e018304457_b.jpg

46814831614_65d99f705d_b.jpg

47538488001_d312f503fa_b.jpg

More to come.....

• Like 11

Wow that 55 is HUGE!!! LOL...What a beast!

What is the rock in there? thats really neat!

29 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Wow that 55 is HUGE!!! LOL...What a beast!

What is the rock in there? thats really neat!

It is BIG!  At first I was thinking it was too big, especially when I was seeing how little space some of the others' filters were taking up...but I'm getting used to it.  I think it's going to work well.  The flow is fairly adjustable and I've been playing with some promising ways to adjust the flow direction.  It's quiet and I like the skimmer feature.  The basket is huge and there's plenty of room to DIY a media rack. I don't like how much it overhangs into the tank though.  WIll probably have to have the lights more out front and point back into the tank.

The rock is just some Aquamaxx rubble rock I got a while back. It also came with some dry tonga along with it - but I'm saving that!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

It is BIG!  At first I was thinking it was too big, especially when I was seeing how little space some of the others' filters were taking up...but I'm getting used to it.  I think it's going to work well.  The flow is fairly adjustable and I've been playing with some promising ways to adjust the flow direction.  It's quiet and I like the skimmer feature.  The basket is huge and there's plenty of room to DIY a media rack. I don't like how much it overhangs into the tank though.  WIll probably have to have the lights more out front and point back into the tank.

The rock is just some Aquamaxx rubble rock I got a while back. It also came with some dry tonga along with it - but I'm saving that!

How is the water level with the skimmer box on it? I was SOOO close to getting a Tidal 35 for this comp, but I went with an old Aquaclear that actually cleaned up well

22 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

How is the water level with the skimmer box on it? I was SOOO close to getting a Tidal 35 for this comp, but I went with an old Aquaclear that actually cleaned up well

I don't remember actually. It's been a while since the tank had water in it for it's leak check.  I think it was pretty high up - if anything, I may have had it overfilled and it was above the skimmer feature.  Will let you know when I get water in it again.  I should be able to boost the filter up a bit if the water level is too low for my liking.

I had planned on using an Aquaclear - but thought I'd give something new a try. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

10 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

Following along

Awesome! I'm following yours too! 

• Like 2
Just now, SeaFurn said:

I don't remember actually. It's been a while since the tank had water in it for it's leak check.  I think it was pretty high up - if anything, I may have had it overfilled and it was above the skimmer feature.  Will let you know when I get water in it again.  I should be able to boost the filter up a bit if the water level is too low for my liking.

I had planned on using an Aquaclear - but thought I'd give something new a try. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Yeah, i'm pretty stoked with how things are turning out. I'm LOVING watching everyone and all their different setups. It's so neat to see how different everything is when we all have pretty much the same setup! Totally outta my league, but loving every second of it!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Yeah, i'm pretty stoked with how things are turning out. I'm LOVING watching everyone and all their different setups. It's so neat to see how different everything is when we all have pretty much the same setup! Totally outta my league, but loving every second of it!

So true my favorite part  really is to see how different we all can be with the same setup its amazing how great everyone is doing im so excited to see how we all do

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

2 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

So true my favorite part  really is to see how different we all can be with the same setup its amazing how great everyone is doing im so excited to see how we all do

Couldn't agree with you both more!  In the last competition I was in, I also loved seeing how people changed their tanks over the course of the contest and how they highlighted the uniqueness of their tank.  People are so much more creative than me!

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Welcome to the contest! Cool rock!

Thanks!  Spent a bunch of time making spots for corals.  Maybe went a little overboard but I think it will pay off. 

33662680928_bdcd7d04c2_b.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome to the janky side.  I like your rock and can't wait to see what you add.  We live about 3-4 hours apart I think, if you every sell baby RFA's I might be interested in the future.

12 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Lid - have an Aqueon glass lid but need to watch @seabass 's glass cutting tutorial first

I'm having technical difficulties with my microphone.  I'll try to get my video up soon.  I got the job done, but didn't really do it right.  You should watch a couple YouTube videos before you do it (I didn't, but my cut was straight, which is pretty easy).  Here's a video that might be more pertinent to cutting a curved cutout for a filter:

Some people push the cutter, others pull.  You want a firm (but not overly hard) pressure on your cutter.  Make ONE smooth continuous score on the glass.  You probably want to use some gloves so that you don't accidentally cut yourself.  Specialty pliers can help, but aren't absolutely required.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Welcome to the janky side.  I like your rock and can't wait to see what you add.  We live about 3-4 hours apart I think, if you every sell baby RFA's I might be interested in the future.

I have a soft side for these janky tanks.  They take me back to my childhood!

I read you're in Savannah in another thread.  Very cool!  How often do you get to ATL?   

Yes, I've got lots of baby RFAs and fingers crossed for bunches more in about 6-7 weeks! They are pretty small still and will be for awhile as they grow pretty slowly but when they are bigger I'm sure we can work something out!

8 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

This is going to be interesting 

Considering the plan isn't fully baked yet, I couldn't agree more!  10" -11"of space will fill up fast!

54 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm having technical difficulties with my microphone.  I'll try to get my video up soon.  I got the job done, but didn't really do it right.  You should watch a couple YouTube videos before you do it (I didn't, but my cut was straight, which is pretty easy).  Here's a video that might be more pertinent to cutting a curved cutout for a filter:

Some people push the cutter, others pull.  You want a firm (but not overly hard) pressure on your cutter.  Make ONE smooth continuous score on the glass.  You probably want to use some gloves so that you don't accidentally cut yourself.  Specialty pliers can help, but aren't absolutely required.

I would absolutely need super glue to stop the bleeding if i did this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
52 minutes ago, seabass said:

I was just teasing you but did plan to watch how you did it.  I'll take a look at this video and a couple of others.  You could see from one of the pictures about I'm going to need to cut it in an "L" shape.  I'll feel a great sense of accomplishment if I can pull it off without cracking it!

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, asting said:

I would absolutely need super glue to stop the bleeding if i did this.

It is my favourite way of cauterising wounds 

Anyway on topic, I love the look of that HOB in the tank 

58 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

You could see from one of the pictures about I'm going to need to cut it in an "L" shape.  I'll feel a great sense of accomplishment if I can pull it off without cracking it!

Note that you'll need the corner curved or it will crack at the intersection.  If you have an old picture frame, practice on that first.  There's just a slight learning curve.

• Like 5

Check out the size of the interior filter basket on the Tidal 55. It's huge!  Built this media rack to place inside it.  Water will flow from bottom to top so the bottom section will be for floss and the top section for some carbon. I think the bottom section will be large enough to jam with floss. Need to decide before I glue it up.  Should be easy enough to pull up this rack and pull out the dirty floss to change it.

46821219834_3f69a4d581_b.jpg

Top down view with rack inside.  There's plenty of space for the heater on the left side.  Now to make a holder for that to keep it centered in the space.

33668061618_7b7c37bda9_b.jpg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Check out the size of the interior filter basket on the Tidal 55. It's huge!  Built this media rack to place inside it.  Water will flow from bottom to top so the bottom section will be for floss and the top section for some carbon. I think the bottom section will be large enough to jam with floss. Need to decide before I glue it up.  Should be easy enough to pull up this rack and pull out the dirty floss to change it.

46821219834_3f69a4d581_b.jpg

Top down view with rack inside.  There's plenty of space for the heater on the left side.  Now to make a holder for that to keep it centered in the space.

33668061618_7b7c37bda9_b.jpg

Man, that thing is a beast...lol

Nice media rack! I think it'll make life easier!

• Thanks 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to Seafurn's Old School Pico featuring Chrysophytes, Cyano, and Brown Algae