SaltCritters.com

How long for new coraline to develop?

MInanoTank

mitten_reef
57 minutes ago, MInanoTank said:

In general - how long does it take for new coraline to form on the back wall and frag mounts?

All depends, live rock? Dead (dry) rock? Potential coralline source added, via small crusted rocks or a crust frag plug?

• Like 1

Coralline can start to form in a few weeks provided there are coralline spores and your tank's water parameters are favorable (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and nitrate).  It also requires a clean surface to take hold.

Coralline scrapings or even coralline in a bottle can provide the spores.  Strontium and iodine are also thought to be important trace elements.  As coralline grows, you will find that levels will drop and dosing may even be required.

• Like 2

There is 10lbs of heavily crusted live rock in the tank (Fluval EVO 13.5G) that I bought wet from the LFS at initial setup back in late February. 

I haven't seen anything developing on the back wall yet.   And I just added some frags I mounted on dry rock - so they're kind of stark white in the tank right now. 

Assuming that your tank's levels are favorable, you can take a razor blade and scrape some from your rocks.  You don't actually cut the coralline, but just scrape it like if it were a comb.  That should release some spores into the water column and help it spread.  You might turn off your skimmer and filter for a couple of hours, but leave your powerheads on to disperse the spores without filtering them out.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

When I got my new 16 gal tank, I had LR that was almost 20 yrs (some newer then that).  I have all different colors of coraline, but as of yet, none of it has spread to my walls or glass.  It's the first time this has happened.  It spreads all over my rock, but not on my walls and it's been 10 months.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:40 AM, MInanoTank said:

There is 10lbs of heavily crusted live rock in the tank (Fluval EVO 13.5G) that I bought wet from the LFS at initial setup back in late February. 

I haven't seen anything developing on the back wall yet.   And I just added some frags I mounted on dry rock - so they're kind of stark white in the tank right now. 

What lighting are you running? I was running an LED black box originally (yeah yeah yeah, I'm in college) but once I switched to t5hos my tank exploded with coralline algae. Literally took about 2ish months and the entire back wall was covered, and most of the sides lol. I'm not saying switch, but parameters and lighting definitely matter.

Now with that being said, if you have invested in some nice LED lighting I don't know why it wouldn't grow.. I just know I had no-name meh quality LEDs