Jump to content
kimdawg

Tybee Island tank going on a roadshow!!

Recommended Posts

748S911

you can use flatworm exit, that should do the trick. 

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I have never used it so I will research it.  Do you use it inside the tank or take all of the rock out and dip them individually?  I have never had a pest so I don't know much about them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wendy

Most people use flatworm exit inside the tank. There's some pretty crazy videos on YouTube!

 

I'm researching some more before I decide to go that route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

I have never used it so I will research it.  Do you use it inside the tank or take all of the rock out and dip them individually?  I have never had a pest so I don't know much about them.

same, I've never used it but people say its great.  This is my first time dealing with flatworms in forever.  The small size in gallons doesn't help. Its not an issue in my EVOreef.

33 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Most people use flatworm exit inside the tank. There's some pretty crazy videos on YouTube!

 

I'm researching some more before I decide to go that route.

I love youtube lol. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
11 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Does anybody have a suggestion on the best way to get rid of them in a stocked tank of this size?

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

If Flatworm eXit doesn't work for you, Levamisole should.  Bayer is an excellent dip for new coral frags; however, I'd encourage you to try other methods before using it to eradicate flatworms from an entire tank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
On 6/18/2019 at 5:45 AM, seabass said:

If Flatworm eXit doesn't work for you, Levamisole should.  Bayer is an excellent dip for new coral frags; however, I'd encourage you to try other methods before using it to eradicate flatworms from an entire tank.

After watching a couple videos of youtube of people using Flatworm Exit...I can't imagine it NOT working...lol...

 

@kimdawg How are things going, any decisions about how you might combat this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
9 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

After watching a couple videos of youtube of people using Flatworm Exit...I can't imagine it NOT working.

I actually had a tank which I could not clear with Flatworm eXit.  Eventually the worms even seemed to develop a sort of resistance to it.  That's when I found levamisole.  I'd try Flatworm eXit first; although it might take more than one treatment (IDK, maybe due to eggs hatching afterwards).

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
On 6/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, MetaTank said:

After watching a couple videos of youtube of people using Flatworm Exit...I can't imagine it NOT working...lol...

 

@kimdawg How are things going, any decisions about how you might combat this issue?

MetaTank,  I started with a full tank water change.  I removed each rock and shook and tried to clean each one off in old tank water.  I had moved the clown fish to my 75 gallon tank, so I added a sapphire damsel form Live Aquaria.  I hope the fish makes it because shipping left it at the airport in Columbia  and shipping was over 48 hours.  It is eating and picking at the rocks so I hope that is a good sign.  I have removed a few flatworms but I think most of them are gone.  I don't think they are the red flatworms.  They are a light tan color, not sure of the id though.  If the continue to multiply I will go chemical with the Flatworm Exit.  Thanks everyone for all of the great advice on how to handle them if I need to go that route.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

MetaTank,  I started with a full tank water change.  I removed each rock and shook and tried to clean each one off in old tank water.  I had moved the clown fish to my 75 gallon tank, so I added a sapphire damsel form Live Aquaria.  I hope the fish makes it because shipping left it at the airport in Columbia  and shipping was over 48 hours.  It is eating and picking at the rocks so I hope that is a good sign.  I have removed a few flatworms but I think most of them are gone.  I don't think they are the red flatworms.  They are a light tan color, not sure of the id though.  If the continue to multiply I will go chemical with the Flatworm Exit.  Thanks everyone for all of the great advice on how to handle them if I need to go that route.

Sounds like a solid plan to me! I hope everything works out well, and the fishy makes it! Though it’s a good sign that it’s eating, right? So that looks promising!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I think I have finally got rid of the flatworms in this tank. thanks for all of the advice.  The tiny little blue fish has taken care of them.  I hope to clean the tank up tomorrow and get some new pictures up.  I have let the tank run  on cruise control for the last few weeks.

  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Sounds great. Don't forget pictures of the tiny little blue fish.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Amphrites

Damselfish are excellent at getting rid of pests lol, honestly I'm considering just stocking a coral-pest crew in my next tank.

 

Damselfish

Possum wrasse

Molly

Mandarin

 

= World's happiest corals? Who knows lol, all really interesting and pretty fish regardless.

 

Awesome that your tank is looking clean again, fingers crossed it stays that way!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

    I did the water change really late tonight and my husband(picture taker) has already gone to bed.  I will try to get one taken tomorrow, but if we don't I will be out of town til the weekend.  I am going to visit my mom for her 90th birthday this week.

    I saw little blue fish before I started the water change and then I didn't see him when I took the rock out of the tank to clean the bottom.  I hope he is hiding in the rock work.  I looked all over the floor and have been looking at the tank and can't find him.  He is a very shy fish and hides a lot so I hope he is still in there.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy
On 7/13/2019 at 9:08 PM, kimdawg said:

I think I have finally got rid of the flatworms in this tank. thanks for all of the advice.  The tiny little blue fish has taken care of them.  I hope to clean the tank up tomorrow and get some new pictures up.  I have let the tank run  on cruise control for the last few weeks.

Great news!  Good job, little blue guy!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

I'm sure he's in there - mine turns almost black and hides when things change drastically - did you find the little flatworm vacuum machine??

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
16 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I'm sure he's in there - mine turns almost black and hides when things change drastically - did you find the little flatworm vacuum machine??

Yes I did!  I think he may have been hiding the barnacle rock when I took it out of the tank.  I always take the rock out of the tank when I change the water and I think he went for a ride in the rock.  I put it in a bucket with the old tank water while I siphon the bottom of the tank.  It had been a couple of weeks since my last water change so the bottom was getting dirty.  I can't make up my mind on the aqua scape so I change it up with each water change.  I guess I won't get pictures up until next week so none of you will ever see this rock arrangement because I am sure I will change it with the next water change!!!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

Just ordered 10 new frags for my tanks from salt critters can't wait till they get here.  Hope to do a water change tomorrow and get a picture for July up.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

      I did a complete water change yesterday and moved some rocks around between my two tanks and when the lights came on this afternoon I see the dreaded flatworms again.  I think they may have been inside the barnacle rock I moved over from my 75 gallon.  I took out the tonga rock and a bunch of the ricordea that had split in the pico tank to make room for the zoas to expand.

 

     I have decided to mainly focus on zoas in the pico tank.   I left a few of the ricordea, 2 small gsp, and one Duncan in there.  I may move the Duncan out later on.  The ricordea and zoas have been growing like crazy these past couple of weeks.  I didn't do a water change for about three weeks and I think the dirty water made them add a bunch of new polyps.

     My goals for August will be to do weekly one gallon water changes, feed the fish and the coral daily, and keep my hands out of the tank.  I like to move the rocks and corals around every few days just because I can.  It is almost like an underwater doll house to me and I love to decorate it.  I think I will see more growth if I leave it alone for a month.  I may need community support and monitoring in this goal!!!

 

July full tank shot

 

IMG_6500.thumb.JPG.7bb0eae8123ebff608693a14cf693726.JPG

You can see little blue fish in the center of the tank.  He has more flatworms to eat.  The tank is now supporting the nano-reef.com and the saltcritters.com stickers.

435886297_IMG_6509-Copy.thumb.JPG.72cc916c50a456d3a33e13322473dd1c.JPG

 

This is the left side of the tank and you can see that some of the zoas are still mad about yesterdays water change.

 

 

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.c5940a8bf3632ee96b969e633a5a1c58.JPG

 

This is the right side of the tank.  All of these pictures were taken about twenty minutes after the lights came on.  As I am posting them the lights have been on about five hours and everything is opened and looks happy but my photo man has gone to bed.

 

Sometimes I think it looks like a jumbled mess but then I look at the tank again and know how happy it makes me feel.  If anyone has suggestions about moving things around please le me here them.  I am thinking about gluing the GSP to the back wall but I would have to put my hand in the tank again.  Right???

 

One last shot just for fun.

100296384_IMG_6503-Copy.thumb.JPG.c79e24dab570cfe7cb18d174060dc843.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tempestas

Tanks looking beautiful!

 

Personally the only change I would make would be to move the ricordia that's slap bang in the middle of the main arch to the mushroom island to give the scape a sense of unity, and to prevent it from stinging the zoa when they start expanding and touching each other.

 

Other than that I love the colours you have going on.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
18 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Tanks looking beautiful!

 

Personally the only change I would make would be to move the ricordia that's slap bang in the middle of the main arch to the mushroom island to give the scape a sense of unity, and to prevent it from stinging the zoa when they start expanding and touching each other.

 

Other than that I love the colours you have going on.

I think you are right I will move that ricordia down with the pile or may just take it out of the tank.  I moved a bunch of the splits out at the last water change.  I think I want to get the loose rics on the bottom of the tank and will glue the gsp to the back wall.  It may take a while to cover the back wall but I plan on keeping this tank going long after the contest because I like the size of it.  It is easy to clean and I love watching a tiny fish grow.  When I took the clown out of this tank he bonded almost immediately with the clown in my 75.

 

Th little blue fish is about the size of my thumb nail so he can stay in here for a long time, then he will be rehomed to the 75 as well.  I only have six fish in there a sixline wrasse, 2 small blue damsels, 2 clowns, and a pajama cardinal.  It is a very open rock work with lots of caves, but they swim as a group most of the day.  I think I will have room for quite a few small fish as they grow up in this tank.

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

I haven't posted very much lately and I have really let my tank go down hill.  I have not done a water change since the end of July so it is my fault.  I have not felt great for the last couple of weeks.  The tank has cyano and hair algae in several places and a lot of the zoas look kinda sad.  I have noticed that there are only a few of the contest tanks posting regularly on here.  I plan to do a water change this weekend and commit to posting at least weekly so that my tank doesn't continue to suffer.  I think I need to order a small cleanup crew and put in there for a little while to help clean it up.  I will order from reef cleaners.  Do you think a emrald crab would bother my small blue damsel in a tank of this size?

Quote

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope a little TLC will bring your tank back. I am not sure about the crab. Ask John and also ask if he has any small crabs. Cyano comes and goes I usually just turkey based it and manually remove if it is really bad. Also manually remove hair algae. Tooth brush dipped in 3% hydrogen peroxide after I pull off what I can. Feel better.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Juno
On 4/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, kimdawg said:

I am so excited to join this contest.  Since this is my first tank journal I want to try new things.  This will be my smallest salt water tank ever, the first time I have used a HOB filter on one and my first bare bottom tank, and yes I do live on Tybee Island.

 

I'm heading your way for Labor Day weekend. My first visit...

 

Great little tank!

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg
7 hours ago, Juno said:

I'm heading your way for Labor Day weekend. My first visit...

 

Great little tank!

Are you coming to Tybee?  If you are let me know and we will take you for a spin around the island in our golf cart unless you rent your own when you get here.  It is the best way to explore the island.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
caas1496

Emerald crabs are definitely effective algae eaters. I had one in my pico for a while to clear up some bubble algae. Just keep an eye on them. Mine had a taste for zoas once the algae was gone! so he was banished to my 20G. Have you tried growing any zoas on the tank bottom. This is my first time trying a bare bottom tank too and that is my favorite part. I think it would look so cool to have a whole carpet of zoas on the bottom. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...