inTank Media Baskets

Tybee Island old school contest tank Retired

kimdawg

Hello All

I am so excited to join this contest.  Since this is my first tank journal I want to try new things.  This will be my smallest salt water tank ever, the first time I have used a HOB filter on one and my first bare bottom tank, and yes I do live on Tybee Island.

I got this tank wet on April 2nd and just got the nerve up to start my first personal thread on nano reef.  Before we added water we took the janky tanky for a photo shoot.

snack_tank.thumb.JPG.b50a326712e514a560f624783d221b94.JPG

EQUIPMENT LIST

2.5 topfin tank

AC 50 HOB

Asta 20 LED

Aqueon small heater

Marina thermometer

equipment.thumb.JPG.3a7b14074aab82bc1fcfcff917120d04.JPG

Do you think the two clowns will be to big for this tank?

I plan to keep this tank up long term.  I have a 75 reef as well but have to depend on my husband for most maintenance due to limited use of my left arm and hand.  With a tank this small and a solo cup I will be able to add and change water whenever I want.

filled_tank.thumb.JPG.16f25c5c9201a0f0db0ebd83a758b3bd.JPG

After I added salt water I tried to glue and reef putty some of the rocks together and make a floating rock structure.  I was not successful at it so I will make do with this rock-scape.  I plan to add zoas, acans, and mushrooms at this point and let it develop from there.  If anyone has any suggestions or critiques please let me know.  I am really enjoying looking at all of the contest tanks and can't wait to see what directions they will take.

• Like 10

I'm loving it! Looking really good, I love the 'cave' in the middle!

How ya liking the Asta20 so far? Using it with the lens? I'm glad I won't be the only one using it this competition!

Also, I've been waiting for this! Glad to see you finally started your contest thread... Woot Woot!!!!

• Like 2

Welcome to the janky tanky contest!  I am glad that you started a thread and don't worry...we don't bite!  You might want to reconsider your 2 clownfish, I think they have already outgrown your tank! 😆

Seriously, you are off to a good start and I will enjoy following your tank.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

How ya liking the Asta20 so far? Using it with the lens? I'm glad I won't be the only one using it this competition!

I really like the light so far I don't think it would do sps long term but it's great for softies. About that lens, when my husband helped with light set up he was going to  glue it to the light as a wedge.  I am glad I stopped that.  I have not tried it yet. Have you?

PUT THE LENS IN!

It may change your opinion of the light a little bit....get back to me with the update... 

I dunno, the lens seems like it made a big difference to me. Might wanna take the light of the tank to put it in though, it can be a little tricky, cause the face plate holds the lens in place, so when you unscrew it, the flat one, the "180 degree" lens in there just sorta slides off...I almost lost it...lol

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

Tab soda havent seen that in a while 🤙🤙

Agreed that was nice to see, but no one else finds it hilarious/awesome the op took the tank for a photo shoot??

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Agreed that was nice to see, but no one else finds it hilarious/awesome the op took the tank for a photo shoot??

Gotta set the stage, man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So true i noticed just didnt think to comment on it because this hobby has made me do super strange stuff

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yeah, I got hooked on Tab in high school I think.( i am older than most people on here)  Our island is only 3 miles long and we ride the golf cart most of the time on the island.  I told my husband that we should have expanded the photo shoot and taken Janky to the pier, our favorite bar, etc.... but it now has water and isn't so portable.  My husband used to love to take photos but has never really taken much of my tanks, so that will be his job and way to expand during this contest.  I am going to try and handle the tank and journal by myself for this tank since there will be no heavy lifting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That is awesome I want some reviews about that light in like a couple months

Yeah, I'm running the same one, so between @kimdawg and myself, hopefully we will see if you can grow a couple corals under it!

8 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Yeah, I got hooked on Tab in high school I think.( i am older than most people on here)  Our island is only 3 miles long and we ride the golf cart most of the time on the island.  I told my husband that we should have expanded the photo shoot and taken Janky to the pier, our favorite bar, etc.... but it now has water and isn't so portable.  My husband used to love to take photos but has never really taken much of my tanks, so that will be his job and way to expand during this contest.  I am going to try and handle the tank and journal by myself for this tank since there will be no heavy lifting.

Ha ha, you must be about my age!  When we were in high school Tab and Fresca were about the only diet sodas available.  I haven't seen Tab for years and didn't even know that they still made it.

• Like 2

You can still get Tab around here at Kroger.  I turn 60 on Christmas Day this year.  I'm getting old but it is a lot better than the alternative.

22 hours ago, MetaTank said:

PUT THE LENS IN!

It may change your opinion of the light a little bit....get back to me with the update... 

I dunno, the lens seems like it made a big difference to me. Might wanna take the light of the tank to put it in though, it can be a little tricky, cause the face plate holds the lens in place, so when you unscrew it, the flat one, the "180 degree" lens in there just sorta slides off...I almost lost it...lol

We put the lens in today and it does make a big difference.  Thanks for telling me to try it.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

You can still get Tab around here at Kroger.  I turn 60 on Christmas Day this year.  I'm getting old but it is a lot better than the alternative.

We put the lens in today and it does make a big difference.  Thanks for telling me to try it.

Oooh I'm so glad! It was the game changer for me on this light!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I have the Asta's big sister, the Pixie 30.  It will be interesting to see how they both hold up.  

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I have the Asta's big sister, the Pixie 30.  It will be interesting to see how they both hold up.  

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing your light in action as well. Twice the wattage, I bet it blows the 20 outta the water. I wonder if the channels and remote settings are the same!

1 minute ago, Wingy said:

I'm not sure how similar the settings are.  I am still trying to figure it out.  

Yeah, it took me some tinkering to figure it out too. 

I found this on Amazon 

Start by pressing CH1 (make sure you’re within couple feet and aim it at the power brick, not the light!)
Use + and - buttons to adjust blues
Press CH2 then + and - for whites
CH3 for 2nd set of blues
CH4 for the green and red

• Like 2

I did almost a half tank water change today, since I started on the 2nd with old tank water from my 75 gal.  I used rock out of my sump and added some zoas, acans, candy cane, riccordea, and mushrooms on the 4th.  I also added one red hermit, one blue leg, and one pom pom crab.  I added food for everyone last night and did the water change this afternoon.  Everything looks really good and is open.  Now I just have to think of names for my new crab friends.   I don't know if I will add any more inverts or a small fish to this tank or not.  If I do it will be several weeks to let the bacteria catch up with the life.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I did almost a half tank water change today, since I started on the 2nd with old tank water from my 75 gal.  I used rock out of my sump and added some zoas, acans, candy cane, riccordea, and mushrooms on the 4th.  I also added one red hermit, one blue leg, and one pom pom crab.  I added food for everyone last night and did the water change this afternoon.  Everything looks really good and is open.  Now I just have to think of names for my new crab friends.   I don't know if I will add any more inverts or a small fish to this tank or not.  If I do it will be several weeks to let the bacteria catch up with the life.

Awesome, cant wait to see a pic