Top Shelf Aquatics

New Mantis Shrimp 13.5 tank

ValerieR

I ended up, on a whim, at my LFS and was shocked to find a little Green Mantis. I haven't had a tank since my daughter was born (she's 8), but I'm jumping back in for this guy with a Fluval Evo 13.5. I set up the tank on Sunday (March 31, 2019) and have live sand, chaeto, and Dr Tim's. I was going to add a firefish for cycling/movement but they ran out and I grabbed 2 Threadfin Cardinals instead (bad idea... too shy). Main question, how soon can I add my mantis? The LFS won't let me "hold" him, but insists no one else has been interested in him. I'm worried I just set everything up and he'll get snagged. He looks like a Veridis to me, anyone else have any thoughts on what he is? Excuse the bare tank... the rock will be here Friday. There is a full network of PVC tunnels under the sand for him though. 

IMG_22961.jpg

20190403_201251.jpg

• Like 1

My LFS only had the big chunks of rock, and I ordered CaribSea Liferock shapes. I'll be buying some rubble if I don't end up with some in my rock box so he can build up around his 3 entrances/exits. I'm planning (however foolish) a mixed reef with him. I will need lots of glue. 

You could buy live rock and skip a cycle from your lfs.  He is a smasher, he will live in the rock not in the sand.

he will use the rubble to board up his entrances and exits at night.

• Like 1

No, I tried to pay for him but they wouldn't let me. They use Square, so returns (in case they kill him in the meantime) are a hassle they want to avoid. They put him down low so he's not obvious, but wouldn't put a "hold" or "sold" sign on him.

I know he's a smasher; I was just hoping to give him some starter tunnels so he doesn't bust everything up, including the glass. I was hoping the more hiding spots he has, the more he'll come out. Also hoping since he's been living in a PVC pipe for 2 months that he'd take to it quickly and be comfortable. 

Snow_Phoenix

I think a more natural environment consisting of LR will be suitable for your mantis. Since the mantis is a smasher, like others have mentioned, it will build its own burrows and tunnels in the rock and seal it with loose pieces of rubble for the night. The PVC pipes will become redundant then. 

And you have to consider any fish choices carefully. You need fish that swim fast and linger in the upper water column like damsels or clowns. Avoid perchers or bottom dwellers like gobies or blennies because they will become mantis-snacks. And you'll need to feed your mantis small pieces of chopped shrimp, clam or squid once/twice a week max. 

And if you're putting in any CUC, be prepared to replace them often. 

• Like 1

Anyone know what kind he is?

How soon I may be able to add him? Dr Tim's says not to add over 1" of fish in the first month, which will put me in a pickle, even if I pull the other 2 fish. I thought they were more like Banggai Cardinals, and I was wrong. I've seen a LOT of videos of people filling/setting up a tank and immediately plopping their Mantis in. Are they that hardy?

Like I said, the rock is on the way, will be here tomorrow. And if he doesn't like the pvc, it's easy enough to either cap off or yank out. I'll let him decide, since I haven't seen it done yet. Unless there's more first hand knowledge that I missed? There's a lot of stuff on here. 

Adding good liverock will help prevent or quicken the cycle and mantis need sand, rocks and rubble, it's part of their natural habitat.

The store has him with PVC because it's not a permanent home and easier to catch him for selling.

Is it dry rock or wet liverock you are getting?

If dry rock, you will most likely be looking at weeks for cycling to complete before it's safe to add the mantis.

It's Caribsea Life rock, so dead. Between the macro I added and Dr Tim's One and Only, the tank has fully cycled (tested all 3 req daily). I installed the rock, and I picked up Mr Pickles today. I also got 2 large snails, a frogspawn, and some zoanthids. He took to the pipes I installed right away, and is exploring the tank pretty fearlessly. 

20190407_195812.jpg

20190407_182145.jpg

20190407_195657.jpg

20190407_181713.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
Just now, ValerieR said:

It's Caribsea Life rock, so dead. Between the macro I added and Dr Tim's One and Only, the tank has fully cycled (tested all 3 req daily). I installed the rock, and I picked up Mr Pickles today. I also got 2 large snails, a frogspawn, and some zoanthids. He took to the pipes I installed right away, and is exploring the tank pretty fearlessly. 

20190407_195812.jpg

20190407_182145.jpg

20190407_195657.jpg

20190407_181713.jpg

He is gorgeous! I love your scape too. Those arches look cool. 

1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

He is gorgeous! I love your scape too. Those arches look cool. 

Thanks, I think he’s pretty awesome too. I’m pretty pleased with the rock pieces I got. I have one more arch that just wouldn’t fit, and a circle shaped piece. I’ll set them aside for another day and a bigger tank. 

We’ll see how the Zoanthids and Frogspawn like their tank locations before I glue them in. Other than some digging in an attempt to get beyond the glass, Mr Pickles hasn’t started moving much around... yet. I’m sure that will change once he settles in. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, ValerieR said:

Thanks, I think he’s pretty awesome too. I’m pretty pleased with the rock pieces I got. I have one more arch that just wouldn’t fit, and a circle shaped piece. I’ll set them aside for another day and a bigger tank. 

We’ll see how the Zoanthids and Frogspawn like their tank locations before I glue them in. Other than some digging in an attempt to get beyond the glass, Mr Pickles hasn’t started moving much around... yet. I’m sure that will change once he settles in. 

Keep us updated! I love mantis threads. 🙂 

Change in plans, Mr Pickles is a spearer. I was curious because he's digging up a storm today. So I got a better look and took some pictures... well, tried anyway. They're long curved spears. 

1554770319978925991276.jpg

20190408_173621.jpg

1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

How do you feel about that?! He’s beautiful though! 

I don’t mind, it just means I should have bought silversides instead of krill. He’s a beautiful color, and out all the time so far, so I’m happy. I was hoping to put a fire fish or something in with him, but looks like once my threadfin cardinals are devoured, he’ll have to go solo. He seems to be happily fortifying his PVC cave with sand and Little Rock pieces. Maybe to molt? He was at the shop for upwards of two months, is he about due? Do I need to test for iodine? I don’t have a test kit for it yet. At least he’s comfortable in there. I’d like to eventually get the PVC covered in GSP or Xenia.

It’s also a big relief to not worry that he could bash through the glass.

• Like 1