inTank Media Baskets

NC Man Charged with Neglecting Pet Fish

Jay_tankfan

i call BS on this.

If you can get charged for that, i can see a LOT of LFS owners and PETCO's especially getting arrested and full on RAIDED by SWAT

2 hours ago, Naekuh said:

i call BS on this.

If you can get charged for that, i can see a LOT of LFS owners and PETCO's especially getting arrested and full on RAIDED by SWAT

It is a slippery slope. I am assuming this particular case was egregious for charges to be brought. How many people's aquariums are dirty and/or riddled with disease? They'd have to create a special task force just to deal with "aquarium crimes".

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Humblefish said:

It is a slippery slope.

I agree.  Can a person with a malnourished Mandarin goby be charged?  What about an unsuccessful attempt at propagating coral?  Are poor water parameters grounds for charges?

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

No reason to let people torture and abandon animals.

I also agree.

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I agree.  Can a person with a malnourished Mandarin goby be charged?  How about someone who doesn't properly feed a BTA and it dies?  What about an unsuccessful attempt at propagating coral?  Are poor water parameters grounds for charges?

In this case it sounds like he made no attempt to keep the fish alive and left it to die. It was more than being a nooby. Like those people who leave dogs and cats to starve locked inside when they move out of a house and leave them.

• Like 1

I agree with the abandonment charge.

What if he couldn't find a home for it?  Should he have euthanized it?  That certainly wouldn't fly for a pet dog.  Are there pet shelters for fish?  Do corals enjoy the same rights?  While I don't disagree with this particular case, I feel it has the potential to get a bit fuzzy.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, seabass said:

I agree with the abandonment charge.

What if he couldn't find a home for it?  Should he have euthanized it?  That certainly wouldn't fly for a pet dog.  Are there pet shelters for fish?  Do corals enjoy the same rights?  While I don't disagree with this particular case, I feel it has the potential to get a bit fuzzy.

There are LFS that will take fish but I have called the animal shelters many years ago when I had cichlid fish and needed to move. They said they would take the fish as long as it came with everything to care for them... so dropping of the tank with them + fish food, ect. I didn't end up doing that as the LFS took them.

You can usually find somewhere for them to go if you try hard enough. 

Since the fish was in such poor condition, I doubt the guy even tried. 

• Like 1
timeconsumer

“He’s eating and that’s a great sign. He wasn’t eating the first couple days while he was here so it’s good to see him back on his feet.”

I couldn't help but laugh a little at this line.

• Haha 3

I think it's more of a abandonment charge then neglect. cuz that would be a slippery slope but I agree with the abandonment charge. no one should abandon their animals no matter what type of animal it is.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Do corals enjoy the same rights?

Honestly, corals should probably have more rights and regulations regarding their care. As communities, coral reefs are in much more danger than cats and dogs. I don't really have an idea of what that would look like or how it would be implemented. Still though, responsible hobbyists don't let things go from the ocean to straight down the toilet.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ha! I see nothing wrong with it. No reason to let people torture and abandon animals.

until you see a cockaroach in your kitchen. 

Then you go full terminator on that with bug spray and bait!  😱

• Wow 1
9 hours ago, Naekuh said:

until you see a cockaroach in your kitchen.  Then you go full terminator on that with bug spray

You're not wrong.  We try to differentiate between pet and pests.  In some cases, one person would consider one a pet and someone else would consider it a pest (like snakes and mice).

We do the same thing in our tanks (like with asterina stars, and certain worms, snails, crabs, anemones, etc.).

21 hours ago, Naekuh said:

until you see a cockaroach in your kitchen. 

Then you go full terminator on that with bug spray and bait!  😱

I never seen a cockroach here but....I put spiders outside when I see them. 

I recently had a 120 spring a leak on me. It so happened to house a 3.5' Tessalated Moray, temporarily of course. I attempted every venue locally to find him a new home, as I'd been resigned to housing him in a brute trash can in order to stop the flooding. After day 5 I was desperate, his living conditions where deplorable and the last thing I wanted was for him to succumb that way. After contacting every LFS in a thousand miles radius I was put in touch with an individual who is passionate about large predators. I loaded up the truck with the kids, secured the eel in a woefully undersized styrofoam cooler and drove four hours to meet this gentleman half way. Eels still doing great I'm told.

The moral of the story could be interpreted either way. I was abusing this animal, although that was hardly my intention, I doubt it is in most cases. I also went out of my way and at a good deal of personal expense to rehome him when everyone else told me it's just a fish, euthanize it. The funny thing about gray areas is that they take the shape of whomever is looking at it, and at what point in time they're seen. 

I suppose the actual moral of my story is that I'm bored and stirring a pot for no reason but, you know. Internet. 

• Like 6

The state legislature might now amend the relevant statues for next time. Other states could follow suit. Which would be a mixed bag the way I see it.