inTank Media Baskets

crabs with personality for a 3 gallon pico jar

Friendly

what crabs do you feel have the most personality that would be comfortable in a 3 gallon pico jar? I;m hoping for a species that accepts more than one of their kind in the same tank...or perhaps a couple different species with 'personality' that would co-exist.

looking for recommendations that will keep my grand kids thrilled 🙂

Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what crabs do you feel have the most personality that would be comfortable in a 3 gallon pico jar? I;m hoping for a species that accepts more than one of their kind in the same tank...or perhaps a couple different species with 'personality' that would co-exist.

looking for recommendations that will keep my grand kids thrilled 🙂

Pom Pom crab/Halloween Hermit is what comes to my mind. Pom pom might be a bit tiny though and can 'vanish' and 'reappear' so you might not get to see them often. Halloweens are peaceful though and they're not as big as a jerk as most of the other hermits (this is BME). Another option is a Porcelain nem crab - I *think you can keep a pair in a jar, provided they each have their own corals to host. 

I like porcelain and pom pom but both hide in the rocks all the time so you never see them.

Personality wise,, Halloween and hermits. Hermits are entertaining and always cleaning.

• Like 1

well, I will have rock, but not a lot and don't intend to have much for hideholes...perhaps overhangs for shadows they can hide in while still being visible. unless of course they burrow, in which case they're welcome to it.

that said, what corals are porcelain crabs known to host? I would love to have that...kids would definitely find that awesome.

the other week I tried to explain to my grandson (he's 5) that I was going to get a nemo. he couldn't wrap his head around the idea/concept, so I'm sure he's going to be gobsmacked once I can setup a proper tank!

10 minutes ago, Friendly said:

well, I will have rock, but not a lot and don't intend to have much for hideholes...perhaps overhangs for shadows they can hide in while still being visible. unless of course they burrow, in which case they're welcome to it.

that said, what corals are porcelain crabs known to host? I would love to have that...kids would definitely find that awesome.

the other week I tried to explain to my grandson (he's 5) that I was going to get a nemo. he couldn't wrap his head around the idea/concept, so I'm sure he's going to be gobsmacked once I can setup a proper tank!

Anemone hosting porcelain crabs will host anemones, certain ones can be found in some sps like stylo's, other porcelain crabs do better in pairs, need lots of rockwork to hide, no fish, are filter feeders.

Mine was under a rock and never came out.

Pom poms are notorious for being seen rarely, they hide all the time. Even in my pico jar, I rarely saw it.

seems the halloween hermit is known to get aggressive with tank mates...would that include others of its species? or are there other hermits that are known to be peaceable with their kind or others?

16 hours ago, Cdeg4 said:

I say scrap the crab and go sexy shrimp.. I have three and are my favorite inverts in the tank

that's not a bad idea. what anemone do they like to host? are they known to hosting any types of corals?

They love the flowers, I have three flowers and they jump to all of them, they also really the torch and Duncan's I have. I have BTA that they will watch from a distance because the porcelain crab I have let's nothing near it... But they all move around and don't pick a singular thing to host constantly.

• Like 1

is there anything special to do to get a mated / bonded pair of porcelain anemone crabs? they don't like their own kind so don't want to get two who would only fight.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, Friendly said:

is there anything special to do to get a mated / bonded pair of porcelain anemone crabs? they don't like their own kind so don't want to get two who would only fight.

Some sites will sell them in pairs. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Some sites will sell them in pairs. 

that's very cool...hope I get that here in Canuckistan!

• Like 1