ReefCleaners.org

Midas blenny in a 13.5 gallon tank?

Hannahhhh

They are great fish. I have 1 in my 25g.

They do grow to 5" it may be ok as it's small and with limited tank mates but it may need rehoming when it gets to full size.

I wouldn't recommend a midas blenny in anything under 20 gallons. They are one of the few blennies I've had experience with that swim throughout the entire tank rather than sticking around rock work. If the 13.5 gallon you're talking about is the Fluval, then as an AIO there is even less actual display volume. A tailspot blenny might be a better choice as they still look pretty cool but don't get as big and hang out more around the rock work rather than swimming around.

Obviously people constantly put fish in tanks smaller than the recommended sizes and they do okay for a while and then re-home them when issues arise or they die. It's ultimately up to you but I think there are a lot better fish options for you to take a look at.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, wheach said:

I wouldn't recommend a midas blenny in anything under 20 gallons. They are one of the few blennies I've had experience with that swim throughout the entire tank rather than sticking around rock work. If the 13.5 gallon you're talking about is the Fluval, then as an AIO there is even less actual display volume. A tailspot blenny might be a better choice as they still look pretty cool but don't get as big and hang out more around the rock work rather than swimming around.

Obviously people constantly put fish in tanks smaller than the recommended sizes and they do okay for a while and then re-home them when issues arise or they die. It's ultimately up to you but I think there are a lot better fish options for you to take a look at.

I must have a very lazy midas.

Mine sits in his hole,  comes out for a few seconds, then back in. He's never swam around.

I wish he would.

12 hours ago, wheach said:

Thank you for the advice, that’s exactly what I asked. I wouldn’t want to get a fish that I would ultimately end up harming. 

• Like 1