Top Shelf Aquatics

Mysterious starfish on lakemichigan shore

Jaycurby

Howdy, I found this on the shore on Lake Michigan, I know starfish aren’t native to the Great Lakes. I’m mainly curious on what species it is and how it could’ve gotten there, thanks a lot! P.s. the box represents 1 inch squared

E552D1D1-C538-4733-95E1-077A6CD4CACC.jpeg

5457117F-C329-452F-9E99-CCAF4ABFBC8A.jpeg

Probably not going to find an exact species here since none (or 1) of us are marine biologists or know where it was found originally. Cool find though.

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Firefish15 said:

There aren't any known freshwater echinoderms. It probably just got dropped by someone.

Who in the world would take a starfish out of a saltwater body of water and drive all the way to the Great Lakes, just to drop it off?? 

Could this be something new? Undiscovered species?

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Who in the world would take a starfish out of a saltwater body of water and drive all the way to the Great Lakes, just to drop it off?? 

Could this be something new? Undiscovered species?

They're pretty common on decorations and stuff, little 1" ones like that. Companies use them on candles or decorative wreaths. I'm guessing it just fell off of one.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

They're pretty common on decorations and stuff, little 1" ones like that. Companies use them on candles or decorative wreaths. I'm guessing it just fell off of one.

Decorative starfish are usually bright colors, not bland like this one. I wish the op could tell us more

Did it feel dried out like a decorative star? Or did it feel alive?

15 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Decorative starfish are usually bright colors, not bland like this one. I wish the op could tell us more

Did it feel dried out like a decorative star? Or did it feel alive?

When I found this it was dried out. It wasn’t brittle, that’s all I could describe. the color hasn’t changed at all. Also would like to point out it was found on a more remote part of the shore. Really the only way to get there is to walk along the shoreline, thanks for the feedback!!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Jaycurby said:

When I found this it was dried out. It wasn’t brittle, that’s all I could describe. the color hasn’t changed at all. Also would like to point out it was found on a more remote part of the shore. Really the only way to get there is to walk along the shoreline, thanks for the feedback!!

So what do you think? Do you think that someone put it there, or was it living there? Does it smell like a dead starfish?

It's very likely just a decorative starfish. 

It somehow got outside, blew around, ended up in the lake, floated a bit, and you found it. Basically just a piece of trash that happens to be a starfish. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
33 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

It's very likely just a decorative starfish. 

It somehow got outside, blew around, ended up in the lake, floated a bit, and you found it. Basically just a piece of trash that happens to be a starfish. 

That is quite a coincidence

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Is there a way to figure out if the starfish once lived in saltwater or freshwater? By looking at the microscopic anatomy? I’m not a marine biologist yet, but I think that you could do that

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is there a way to figure out if the starfish once lived in saltwater or freshwater? By looking at the microscopic anatomy? I’m not a marine biologist yet, but I think that you could do that

I think you are overthinking this.  There are no known freshwater starfish. 

Storms can carry debris for miles. It’s basically “trash” that has wound up in a remote place. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I think you are overthinking this.  There are no known freshwater starfish. 

Storms can carry debris for miles. It’s basically “trash” that has wound up in a remote place. 

Are there any saltwater bodies of water near Lake Michigan? I may be overthinking this, but it would be awesome if this was a new discovery.

12 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Are there any saltwater bodies of water near Lake Michigan? I may be overthinking this, but it would be awesome if this was a new discovery.

🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That is quite a coincidence

Well, scientists have now found plastic trash at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. So it's probably not much of a stretch at all.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

20190404_104226.jpg

Shut up, I’m not stupid😂

Just now, Firefish15 said:

Well, scientists have now found plastic trash at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. So it's probably not much of a stretch at all.

Yea I guess

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Had to come back here to make sure this wasn't posted on the 1st... it wasn't.

That’s what I thought at first, but it wasn’t😂

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
25 minutes ago, MarieH said:

Someone bought it dried in Florida and left it there to freak you out lol.

That would be crazy😂