Cultivated Reef

Is my clam ok? (With pics)

risk1994

Got this derasa about a month ago, seems to be doing fine, not quite as twitchy when i put my hand over but otherwise fine.

I just put in some spirulina powder in the tank which i rarely do and clam started doing this within minutes...

Is this ok?  Im hoping this is just feeding behaviour?  His intake has never opened so wide!

20190402_214026.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Lovemyreef2015

I would say the clam is just trying to filter out the large particles from the spirulina powder you used. My clams would do that sometimes when I would feed my corals. Clams don't need to be fed. Light and the nutrients in the water is all the clam needs. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies.  The clam is still doing fine...I posted pics below.  He seems to have lost his cool stripes and like always seems to happen with my corals is less colorful.  But hes growing and has nice mantle extension, he closes up every night and opens up fully every morning.  FWIW I never fed him again.

Also take a look at the little monti in the top left of the original pic...check out all the growth! funny how the original colony seems almost like it died but there is all that growth all around it.  For a 10G tank Im pretty happy with how its going.

Resized_20200103_190831.jpeg

Resized_20200103_190846(1).jpeg

Resized_20200103_190828.jpeg

Resized_20200103_191501.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Just died last night.  

Biggest change is  I started using a skimmer about a month ago...currently nitrates 0 however I think nitrates have pretty much always been zero for me.  Working on addressing this issue now.