inTank Media Baskets

Can I add fish?

Mmotux

Starting tank on Friday 😂 yes I know I have a long ways to go. But my question is. If this coral I picture here is alive. And my snails are also alive. Is the tank cycled? 

C4BA3311-94E1-40E3-9F2E-215B543B2CC3.jpeg

You should be patient and allow the beneficial bacteria some time to build up. Also you should be testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. For a tank to be fully cycled it will most likely take a month, it’s important to be patient and not rush adding things to your tank so soon. 

• Like 1

More I for would be needed to properly answer.

What rock was used, have you tested.

Researching the nitrogen would be the first thing recommended. 

Going slow is the other

tidepooldreamer

You can't judge if your tank is cycled just by looking at it; testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates will let you be certain that the system is ready for fish. When you have tested over the course of days/weeks, and seen the spike in ammonia, then in nitrite, and then finally nitrate, you will know the cycle is completed and the tank is ready.

If you have enough of a biological filter already (from live rock, etc), you might not see a cycle - but you will be able to confirm that case by adding ammonia and checking to see that it is fully consumed within 24 hours. There are many guides online for dosing ammonia to cycle that give details about how much to dose and what to look for. Good luck with your new tank!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mmotux said:

Starting tank on Friday 😂 yes I know I have a long ways to go. But my question is. If this coral I picture here is alive. And my snails are also alive. Is the tank cycled? 

C4BA3311-94E1-40E3-9F2E-215B543B2CC3.jpeg

Have you done water tests to ensure the tank is cycled?  Have you seen your Diatom (brown algae) bloom come and go?  These are the indicators I would be looking for.  

Noticing brown diatoms coming in very lightly. Fluval evo 5g with about 7 pounds of live rock. And 10 pounds of live sand. No tests yet. I don’t think I’ll see much of a cycle. Thoughts? 

Also noticed a little tube type worm. Harmful? Any ID? Has a little fan that goes in if I tap the glass. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

You have to test. That is the only way to know.

Running a reef tank requires testing during cycling and then other tests for corals 

There is no ability to avoid this.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Mmotux said:

Noticing brown diatoms coming in very lightly. Fluval evo 5g with about 7 pounds of live rock. And 10 pounds of live sand. No tests yet. I don’t think I’ll see much of a cycle. Thoughts? 

Also noticed a little tube type worm. Harmful? Any ID? Has a little fan that goes in if I tap the glass. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s a feather duster.  It’s not harmful. I have a few and I enjoy mine!

• Like 1