Pod Your Reef

pricewayne

pricewayne

I have to laugh that the RFA from LAX that claimed it would “stay where I put it!” moved half way across the tank the first night and the other two have stayed put... so far.

• Haha 4

If they are happy, RFAs are pretty good about staying where they are.  However, sometimes they like to go on a walkabout.

• Like 3
pricewayne
57 minutes ago, seabass said:

If they are happy, RFAs are pretty good about staying where they are.  However, sometimes they like to go on a walkabout.

Any thoughts on whether I should encourage the one RFA to move? Its edges are resting on the base of that birds of paradise lol. I know they have a minor sting, but I’m thinking over time the RFA may bother it too much. Would be nice to see it, I suppose, too.

pricewayne
32 minutes ago, seabass said:

It might be easier to move the birdsnest. :unsure:

Dang it... Birds nest is super glued down. I could maybe cut it off at the base and re-glue it some where? It’d prob need to be glued down just couple inches from where it is now though — not much room elsewhere.

I've not seen such a glowing pink RFA, they're so beautiful!

I also like your pipefish, such rich colors on him.

Hope he likes the sea monkeys (;

• Thanks 1
pricewayne
3 hours ago, Wendy said:

I've not seen such a glowing pink RFA, they're so beautiful!

I also like your pipefish, such rich colors on him.

Hope he likes the sea monkeys (;

Thank you!! The RFAs have been fun additions. Two new ones haven’t moved too too much so I’m hoping they’ll stay put. First one is still plugged up behind the birds nest facing the back wall lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
pricewayne

Noticed a smell from my pico so tested ammonia and nitrates. Reading .25ppm ammonia and nitrates are reading steady at 5ppm... I did my weekly water change yesterday. Am prepping for another water change now.

More info...

- during my water change yesterday, I removed the last bits of sand (there wasn't much at all -- just some small little piles that were leftover beneath my rock)

- I removed my large rock from the tank for maybe 10-15mins while I siphoned out the sand (also glued down my goniopora and alveopora frags to the rock in that time)

- about an hour after my water change one of my snails began to spawn and it clouded the tank up significantly (just my luck)

I'm wondering if the snail spawning spiked my ammonia due to overload of 'organics' ? I know that the spawning isn't a bad thing -- often it's great food for corals and fish. Given the small size of the tank though it may have been too much all at once? Suppose it also could be die off from the rock being out of the water... but given the short period I had it out, I'm surprised it would be enough to spike ammonia.

Any other thoughts or things I should check or lookout for? All my livestock appears to be alive -- not seeing any dead snails, pipefish is doing great, sexy shrimp are happy and all my corals look happy and open.

• Wow 1

Probably from the snail, I take my rocks out all the time. I had a snail spawn in my 25g and it was cloudy so I can imagine what it would do to a pico. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
pricewayne
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Probably from the snail, I take my rocks out all the time. I had a snail spawn in my 25g and it was cloudy so I can imagine what it would do to a pico. 

It's really the only thing that would make apparent sense to me. Before I went to bed last my tank looked like watered down milk 🤢

Didn't think too much about it as it was back to clear waters this morning, until I noticed the smell. Just finished the water change -- I'll wait a few hours for it to filter and retest.

Edited by pricewayne
typo
  • Like 7
pricewayne
2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I stumbled across this tank on Amazon while shopping.  It's made by U.P. Aqua.  I think I know it's sold in pink/clear, blue/clear, and I think I saw it too in green/clear.  https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-UA-001B-Fluorescent-Silicone-Aquarium/dp/B01IJQMWMU?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8174269011

Hope you enjoy it.  It sure looks awesome!

YES!! So happy I know what tank it is now lol. Thank you!

Forgot to update — ammonia read 0 after my WC on Sunday.
I sadly had to pull one of my new RFA’s from the tank this morning. Not sure if it was because of the ammonia reading or stress moving from the LFS to my tank (were added last Wednesday so right at the 1 week mark now), or some combination of the two. It was face down this morning and could see its foot beginning to decay so thought best to just remove -- ammonia still reading 0.

The other RFA I added last Wednesday has moved to the glass on the back wall -- it's not looking too happy. Its foot is still intact, but it's folding up around the mouth a bit (haven't seen it expel anything from the mouth yet). Am thinking I'll leave it in for now and keep an eye out for any deterioration. Any other recommendations?

317911110_IMG_58542.thumb.jpg.f997dd3c0ec324aaf4eaf9bd4dc0d161.jpg

All other coral stock, including the first RFA I added a few weeks ago, is looking healthy and happy at least.

• Sad 3
pricewayne

Think I may need to remove the other new RFA 😪

It's still hanging on to the glass wall, but am seeing signs of deterioration on its left side (pics below).

Anyone have any recommendations? Go ahead and remove or does it still have any fighting chance?

IMG_5885.thumb.jpg.0ba1d557cdb67ba5d931efa6b15bac28.jpg

IMG_5886.thumb.jpg.40e2782c5eb751c3d501233b9c64d4a7.jpg

& a few happier pics to keep the mood upbeat.

IMG_5887.thumb.jpg.0d9e6cf5f8ff2f09df2c49c6dcbba938.jpg

IMG_5888.thumb.jpg.bd5a381005d418ea9943e3f8ad668fe5.jpg

IMG_5891.thumb.jpg.75871e97b6180afa800addf185276d78.jpg

He swims upside down all the time and it👏🏻is👏🏻adorable👏🏻

IMG_5841.thumb.jpg.d4dc3ae369119170062044ec600bfa00.jpg

IMG_5896.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

I'm not real sure about your RFA...

Do you have another tank or bucket that you could transfer it to? Keep the temp stable & use an air pump. That would keep it from fowling your tank if it continues to go south or it could be a nursery to get it back to good health. Good luck!

Yes, on a more positive note, your pipefish is beautiful! I bet it's so fun to watch 'em cruise around!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
pricewayne
12 minutes ago, Wendy said:

I'm not real sure about your RFA...

Do you have another tank or bucket that you could transfer it to? Keep the temp stable & use an air pump. That would keep it from fowling your tank if it continues to go south or it could be a nursery to get it back to good health. Good luck!

Yes, on a more positive note, your pipefish is beautiful! I bet it's so fun to watch 'em cruise around!!!

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. I have a bucket and heater. Don't have an air pump but I have a Current USA eFlux wave pump powerhead or my fluval evo stock return pump. Assume I could use one of those pointed toward the surface to keep gas exchange going?

11 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. I have a bucket and heater. Don't have an air pump but I have a Current USA eFlux wave pump powerhead or my fluval evo stock return pump. Assume I could use one of those pointed toward the surface to keep gas exchange going?

Unless your nem decides to take a powerhead ride and makes a bowl of RFA soup. 

pricewayne
12 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Unless your nem decides to take a powerhead ride and makes a bowl of RFA soup. 

Learned that lesson with the hard way in my other tank when Gwen went for a suicidal stroll. Gwen is my BTA -- fully recovered btw.

No RFA powerhead soup, but it isn't looking too good this morning, sadly. I moved it last night to a container with my eFlux (foam protected and strategically aimed/placed powerhead) with a heater. Left edge still appears to be deteriorating, but I'll give it a day or two and see if we get any bounce back. Le sigh. Loved the RFA additions -- think I'll wait a while before trying to add any more. The LAX RFA still looks great! Though you do have to turn the tank backwards to get a good look at it 😑

• Sad 6
2 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Learned that lesson with the hard way in my other tank when Gwen went for a suicidal stroll. Gwen is my BTA -- fully recovered btw.

No RFA powerhead soup, but it isn't looking too good this morning, sadly. I moved it last night to a container with my eFlux (foam protected and strategically aimed/placed powerhead) with a heater. Left edge still appears to be deteriorating, but I'll give it a day or two and see if we get any bounce back. Le sigh. Loved the RFA additions -- think I'll wait a while before trying to add any more. The LAX RFA still looks great! Though you do have to turn the tank backwards to get a good look at it 😑

I’m sorry, that’s a bummer 😞

I hope it bounces back, but it was a good idea to remove it for sure!

• Like 2

Maybe it'll pull through @pricewayne..

Now that it's been in the bucket a little bit, is it smelling bad or making the water murky?

If not, then I think that's a good sign.

I'm new to RFAs myself, but just brought some back from Florida & they had to travel on the road with us for 2 days.

I did 50% water changes about every 12 hours & kept temps as stable as possible. I did lose a couple of the largest ones, but the littles did really well.

The ones that went down hill wouldn't attach to anything & started deteriorating in the foot area like they had open wounds. And did appear to be melting, but none of them stayed opened up like in your's in the picture.

Maybe try to feed it something really yummy & help fuel it's recovery.

I'm crossing my fingers that it does get better for you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
pricewayne
8 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Maybe it'll pull through @pricewayne..

Now that it's been in the bucket a little bit, is it smelling bad or making the water murky?

If not, then I think that's a good sign.

I'm new to RFAs myself, but just brought some back from Florida & they had to travel on the road with us for 2 days.

I did 50% water changes about every 12 hours & kept temps as stable as possible. I did lose a couple of the largest ones, but the littles did really well.

The ones that went down hill wouldn't attach to anything & started deteriorating in the foot area like they had open wounds. And did appear to be melting, but none of them stayed opened up like in your's in the picture.

Maybe try to feed it something really yummy & help fuel it's recovery.

I'm crossing my fingers that it does get better for you!

Thank you! I’ll be surprised if it pulls through, to be honest. Saw more deterioration earlier (not home now for the latest update). No foul or strange smells, but wasn’t lookin’ too good.

Did a bunch of reading after I noticed the first newer one deteriorating and lots seem to report that the first week is the turning point for better or worse with RFAs. My first one is still perfectly happy — it’s stayed open and colored beautifully since day 1. Prob won’t pick up anymore RFAs from this last shop, just to play it on the safe side (was my first purchase from that store).

• 2 months later...

fun build, great stocking list! I hope to me setting up a >20 gal tank to focus on RFA and was thinking blue strips along with pj feeder. was not sure RFA and bllue strips where a good idea or not? any worries the peter will become neme food?

hows the stag horn? so cool   

• 2 months later...