Jump to content
pricewayne

pynk pico

Recommended Posts

pricewayne
21 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

 

Like @Ratvan said, you dose 4 drops per gallon (actual gallons in the tank) and that should get you to 2 ppm ammonia.  You can test it after you dose to make sure though (which is what I do).  If your tank can cycle that down to 0.2 ammonia and 0.2 nitrites 24 hours later, then it should be cycled.  

🤞🏻

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

Mor pods, plz 🤓& shout out to my long, luscious & elegant hair algae.

 

IMG_4044.thumb.jpg.83e4402984fbbeffb8a459833ac28462.jpg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

Well, moved my emerald crab from my Fluval tank over to my pico a couple hours ago when I noticed he was *literally* dragging my tree leather coral frag across the tank and trying to rip into it for a meal. Tree leather is not happy -- not sure if it will make it 😞I've been having issues with the emerald since his first molt about a week and a half ago... he more than doubled in size and pretty sure he thought he had full run of the tank. Been planning to take him back to my LFS after all the nuisance he's caused my frags, though the tree leather was the first time I've seen him try to EAT a frag.

 

With the tree leather so beat up and him repeatedly trying to get back to it after scaring him away from it, I decided to move him over to the pico. My Dr. Tim's ammonia chloride solution just delivered but now that I've got him in the pico it looks like I'll need to skip dosing that. His doing fine - no behavior change and in fact has been chowing down on the hair algae that'd been growing. Pretty sure he's on a mission to fully eliminate it. I'm surprised he's so hungry -- I spot feed him every other a cut of seaweed that he goes crazy for.

 

Hopefully I'll be able to get to the LFS tomorrow and drop him off for rehoming -- wish I could keep him, but just not worth the trouble and no doubt he'd cause issues in the pico with my staghorn crab.

 

Here he is with my growing pod population 🙂

IMG_4121.thumb.jpg.7487ac82b21953bb4d83dbf2b7a8b7e4.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

Nice emerald crab! 

 

You should look into strawberry crabs. They fit your 'pink' theme. 😊

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Nice emerald crab! 

 

You should look into strawberry crabs. They fit your 'pink' theme. 😊

I thought about them, but do you think they'd battle it out at all with my staghorn crab in the small space?

Sadly, going to return the emerald -- he's been wicked with my corals and other inverts *siiigh* his attitude has been quite entertaining at least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wendy

Yeah, you never know with an Emerald...

I had a mating pair in a 46 bow front macro tank & they loved the codium, so I had to grow extra in the sump for them.

 

I'm not familiar with a Staghorn crab... sure don't blame you for being cautious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
7 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Yeah, you never know with an Emerald...

I had a mating pair in a 46 bow front macro tank & they loved the codium, so I had to grow extra in the sump for them.

 

I'm not familiar with a Staghorn crab... sure don't blame you for being cautious.

Staghorn seems quite docile -- similar to a hermit, I suppose -- but in a much cooler mobile home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
26 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I thought about them, but do you think they'd battle it out at all with my staghorn crab in the small space?

Sadly, going to return the emerald -- he's been wicked with my corals and other inverts *siiigh* his attitude has been quite entertaining at least.

I forgot you had a staghorn in there. Yeah, maybe it isn't a wise thing to add a strawberry then. Strawberry crabs can get quite large - almost 3", if I'm not mistaken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel

Ahhh, personality is a big part of the enjoyment of a tank and its sad to see the emerald go back to the lfs.  I understand though that its not fun seeing your corals being dismembered, destroyed and devoured either!  Bummer, why can't he just behave?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ahhh, personality is a big part of the enjoyment of a tank and its sad to see the emerald go back to the lfs.  I understand though that its not fun seeing your corals being dismembered, destroyed and devoured either!  Bummer, why can't he just behave?

Right?!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
fishfreak0114

That. Crab. Is. The. Coolest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
On 4/25/2019 at 10:43 PM, pricewayne said:

Sadly, going to return the emerald

Ah that's too bad.  But I totally get it.  I avoid them unless I need their cleaning services.  Really cool crab though.

 

The tank is looking good.  Looking forward to more updates.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
9 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

That. Crab. Is. The. Coolest. 

The staghorn?? I think it’s such a neat crab! Really fun to watch. Sifts sand all day.

 

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Ah that's too bad.  But I totally get it.  I avoid them unless I need their cleaning services.  Really cool crab though.

 

The tank is looking good.  Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks! I need to get a proper update in on both my tanks. In Houston for a wedding and back tomorrow afternoon... fingers crossed all is ok with the tanks 🤞🏻

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty

You need to get a baby monitor for your tanks.. I’m setting up one when I find time

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
4 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You need to get a baby monitor for your tanks.. I’m setting up one when I find time

Way ahead of ya 🤓

if you look very very carefully, you can see the pico in the reflection off my main tank lol.

2164671E-C0ED-4029-90F9-A95DF1D6AA6B.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
Just now, pricewayne said:

Way ahead of ya 🤓

if you look very very carefully, you can see the pico in the reflection off my main tank lol.

2164671E-C0ED-4029-90F9-A95DF1D6AA6B.png

I have one that swivels

but genius no doubt 

nice tank

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
2 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I have one that swivels

but genius no doubt 

nice tank

Nice! I’d had this one in a closet for about 2 years — glad I held on to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

Really can't believe it's been more than 2 weeks since my last update with the emerald crab troublemaker. Got him back to a LFS for rehoming.

 

Decided this morning to ditch the white background I originally placed on the back of the tank and just stick to clear back. I was thinking I wanted to hide the HOB as best I could, but I actually really like seeing it for some reason. Not sure why, but I do. Have also been vacuuming the sand out with each water change and LOVE the difference it is making. Could not get the sand to sit still and it was driving me crazy. The rock pieces on the bottom left are coral skeletons I broke off from my main tank's rock work and am still unsure whether I'll keep them in the pico. Didn't want to have to re-cycle them so I'm leaving them in the tank for now until I decide.

 

FTS:

IMG_4655.thumb.jpg.3e1c55dab6354486f217c4717b837370.jpg

 

Livestock//corals additions//changes:

So... I made a slight impulse buy... certainly a riskier one and purchased a bluestriped pipefish from LAX aquarium this last Tuesday (I went in store bc they had a pop-up 50% off sell). It had been in the store for at least a week -- I saw him in store last week as well -- since it had been in store for at least a week I felt better knowing it at least was eating well. My rationalization for getting the pipefish basically boiled down to... I work from home, am willing to invest in steady food solutions and can closely monitor to be sure it's eating enough.

 

My bluestripe pipefish is named Peter, and here are all the things I've done and am planning to keep it adorably happy and eating:

- I had what I *thought* was an "established" pod population in my pico.... ha! It is so much more obvious to me why Mandarin Dragonets are so cautioned. The great news is Peter is certainly eating -- the bad news is I saw my pod population start to dwindle about 30hrs into Peter's feasting.

- I bought a couple bottles of Tigger Pods and some phyto to supplement steady and available pods for Peter. I've shut off flow and add pods in morning before lights on and again after lights out.

- Ordered PJ Reefs magnetic feeder (thank you, @vlangel) and should have it next week to get steady live artemia available in tank.

- Already in love with Peter and am musing about a larger tank for Peter + some Peter-like pipefish friends after this competition.

 

Here's Peter & a sexy shrimp

IMG_4606.thumb.jpg.dc77f212e2dfaaa867bb6c23e6197f74.jpg

 

His favorite little perch up under the rock work 😍

IMG_4691.thumb.jpg.bbb59080e9353925ccd69346851fd948.jpg

 

I've also added...

- 5 sexy shrimp (first day they were in the tank I watched two shrimp literally jump from the rock work into the intake filter tube 😑thankfully, they were fine and I've since added a filter foam cover to keep them out)

- 2 small hermits

- 4 bumblebee snails

- 1 black snail

- 1 pincushion urchin (may move to my other tank -- but love that it's pink)

 

corals:

Trying to take my time stocking up on corals! Am so nervous I'll find something awesome I wish I could've added after reaching full capacity. So far, I have...

- birds of paradise SPS

- pink zoa

- green flowerpot

- fuzzy mushroom

- single headed duncan

 

Gotta admit, this tank is really fun to watch!! I have it setup on my standing desk and it's such a welcome distraction!

  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
4 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Really can't believe it's been more than 2 weeks since my last update with the emerald crab troublemaker. Got him back to a LFS for rehoming.

 

Decided this morning to ditch the white background I originally placed on the back of the tank and just stick to clear back. I was thinking I wanted to hide the HOB as best I could, but I actually really like seeing it for some reason. Not sure why, but I do. Have also been vacuuming the sand out with each water change and LOVE the difference it is making. Could not get the sand to sit still and it was driving me crazy. The rock pieces on the bottom left are coral skeletons I broke off from my main tank's rock work and am still unsure whether I'll keep them in the pico. Didn't want to have to re-cycle them so I'm leaving them in the tank for now until I decide.

 

FTS:

IMG_4655.thumb.jpg.3e1c55dab6354486f217c4717b837370.jpg

 

Livestock//corals additions//changes:

So... I made a slight impulse buy... certainly a riskier one and purchased a bluestriped pipefish from LAX aquarium this last Tuesday (I went in store bc they had a pop-up 50% off sell). It had been in the store for at least a week -- I saw him in store last week as well -- since it had been in store for at least a week I felt better knowing it at least was eating well. My rationalization for getting the pipefish basically boiled down to... I work from home, am willing to invest in steady food solutions and can closely monitor to be sure it's eating enough.

 

My bluestripe pipefish is named Peter, and here are all the things I've done and am planning to keep it adorably happy and eating:

- I had what I *thought* was an "established" pod population in my pico.... ha! It is so much more obvious to me why Mandarin Dragonets are so cautioned. The great news is Peter is certainly eating -- the bad news is I saw my pod population start to dwindle about 30hrs into Peter's feasting.

- I bought a couple bottles of Tigger Pods and some phyto to supplement steady and available pods for Peter. I've shut off flow and add pods in morning before lights on and again after lights out.

- Ordered PJ Reefs magnetic feeder (thank you, @vlangel) and should have it next week to get steady live artemia available in tank.

- Already in love with Peter and am musing about a larger tank for Peter + some Peter-like pipefish friends after this competition.

 

Here's Peter & a sexy shrimp

IMG_4606.thumb.jpg.dc77f212e2dfaaa867bb6c23e6197f74.jpg

 

His favorite little perch up under the rock work 😍

IMG_4691.thumb.jpg.bbb59080e9353925ccd69346851fd948.jpg

 

I've also added...

- 5 sexy shrimp (first day they were in the tank I watched two shrimp literally jump from the rock work into the intake filter tube 😑thankfully, they were fine and I've since added a filter foam cover to keep them out)

- 2 small hermits

- 4 bumblebee snails

- 1 black snail

- 1 pincushion urchin (may move to my other tank -- but love that it's pink)

 

corals:

Trying to take my time stocking up on corals! Am so nervous I'll find something awesome I wish I could've added after reaching full capacity. So far, I have...

- birds of paradise SPS

- pink zoa

- green flowerpot

- fuzzy mushroom

- single headed duncan

 

Gotta admit, this tank is really fun to watch!! I have it setup on my standing desk and it's such a welcome distraction!

That sale at LAX was insane, are you going June 2nd for the 4th year anniversary?

Share this post


Link to post
Amphrites

Oops, nevermind I was thinking of the clingfish not the pipe-fish, oiy no more early-morning comments. Beautiful fish and tank!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Hi Peter! He is so cute. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
8 hours ago, MetaTank said:

That sale at LAX was insane, are you going June 2nd for the 4th year anniversary?

I’m hoping to!! I have a few raffle tickets. Seems like it’ll be fun. You going to make it out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
11 hours ago, pricewayne said:

I’m hoping to!! I have a few raffle tickets. Seems like it’ll be fun. You going to make it out?

Yeah, I’ll be there, I have like 6 raffle tickets so far. I just went out today to see if I could see anything new, they had some nice little baby gold maxima clams! We should meet up with @Tigahboy if he makes it out too!

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy
2 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Yeah, I’ll be there, I have like 6 raffle tickets so far. I just went out today to see if I could see anything new, they had some nice little baby gold maxima clams! We should meet up with @Tigahboy if he makes it out too!

I'm probably going to go.  But parking is probably going to be cray. 😑

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

I had the exacccct thought earlier this week about the parking. I may just Uber from home and bring a backpack to carry all the prizes I won’t win.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...