Jump to content
pricewayne

pynk pico

Recommended Posts

pricewayne

Totally into giving this a shot.

I'm still very much a rookie -- first SW tank was started about 3 months ago and I've fallen madly in love with the hobby. I think the competition is such a great opportunity to track progress in-line with more seasoned reefers. I'm really excited to learn as much as I can soak up!

 

IMG_3527.thumb.jpeg.96ee4e6bb3e8791f5aeb3faaedddf566.jpeg

*warning: combining these snacks is not recommended

 

Tank Specs
Display: no name tank I found at a LFS for $20 & I'm lovin' it. Water capacity dimensions 11.75" X 7.75" X 4.5" -- really hope this falls within accepted dimensions for the competition.

Filtration: AquaClear 50 & plan to mod the chamber following El Fab's Pico guide)

Heater: FREESEA 50w with built-in thermometer & plan to house in the AC50

Lighting: still TBD... I may use the stock Fluval Evo light, or do a bulb, or maybe T5, or maybe something creative? Not gonna sweat lighting just yet.

Scape: still TBD... have some small dry marco rocks that I played with all weekend but the perfect look hasn't clicked yet. May may a LFS run and get wet live rock for more options.

Livestock Plan: think I'll just do a couple of small, interesting inverts -- maybe just a couple sexy shrimp

Coral Plan: think I may stick to an all pink color scheme for my corals 🙂any recommendations on pink corals I should look into?

 

Pics of my tank dimensions:

11.75" wide

IMG_3531.thumb.jpeg.c0735381ce067bb8e68140b5d5de0207.jpeg

7.75" height of water capacity (8.25" from top rim to bottom of tank)

IMG_3532.thumb.jpeg.d9aa08b739bd4fcbed5b336ef8acc2e4.jpeg

4.5" wide

IMG_3540.thumb.jpeg.e187e920798bb0369b94e8bbe8bb880c.jpeg

 

Hoping to get my scape sourced and finished by end of this weekend -- want to add water, maybe some sand & get to cycling asap.

Excited!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
asting

Neat tank. Looks like it fits the rules from my read.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
2 minutes ago, asting said:

Neat tank. Looks like it fits the rules from my read.

Thanks!

Didn't have a ruler or tape measure with me when I bought it... should have seen me in the store using my thumb as an "inch" ruler lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911

sweet tank, that pink is gonna glow under blues 

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
6 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

sweet tank, that pink is gonna glow under blues 

Ooooh... good motivation to get my plan knocked out for lighting. Lighting stresses me out. Took me about 2 months to decide on the nanobox for my fluval evo! Definitely want to keep it cheap for this one though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
asting
2 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Thanks!

Didn't have a ruler or tape measure with me when I bought it... should have seen me in the store using my thumb as an "inch" ruler lol.

2" leeway gives you some room.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

I saw this exact same tank, but the green version, for sale at my LFS. It does fit within the rules, if I'm not mistaken. 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank

It's a neat looking tank. Where'd you get it? And what LFS's do you visit in your area? I'm sorta over by Santa Monica...sorta

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty

That’s some cool acrylic work!

i was never a fan of bending it though I always got the one piece that would have water and it would cone out weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy

That's a cool tank!  I've never seen one of those before.  I couldn't figure out what the pink lines were when you initially posted your entry photo.

 

Pink yuma ricordea would be nice and pink.  There are a good variety of pink zoanthids of course as well.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
55 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

It's a neat looking tank. Where'd you get it? And what LFS's do you visit in your area? I'm sorta over by Santa Monica...sorta

I’m literally drawing blanks on the shop name! It’s on Venice, not too far from La Cienega and it’s a freshwater LFS... it’s on my way to my office so I’ll look out for the name tomorrow morning. Think it’s sort of the Culver City area.. not too sure what the neighborhood is called.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
42 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That’s some cool acrylic work!

i was never a fan of bending it though I always got the one piece that would have water and it would cone out weird.

It’s actually glass! Didn’t notice any water bending over the weekend (ran a leak test).

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
30 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

That's a cool tank!  I've never seen one of those before.  I couldn't figure out what the pink lines were when you initially posted your entry photo.

 

Pink yuma ricordea would be nice and pink.  There are a good variety of pink zoanthids of course as well.  

I’ll add these to my look up list! Won’t surprise me if I end up just checking out frags at some local shops to find pink ones that’ll fit.. any excuse to peruse is a good one lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
3 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

It’s actually glass! Didn’t notice any water bending over the weekend (ran a leak test).

Glass! Ooooo scary

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
4 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I’ll add these to my look up list! Won’t surprise me if I end up just checking out frags at some local shops to find pink ones that’ll fit.. any excuse to peruse is a good one lol.

There is a really good spot in the SFV for coral if you're interested.

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
7 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

There is a really good spot in the SFV for coral if you're interested.

Yesssss. Which store? Over the last 3 months I've been on a mission to check out as many as I've been able to lol

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank

Vivid Aquariums over on Vanowen. I think its in Canoga Park? Winnetka? They have tons of cool frags, and nice clean tanks. They're super good when it comes to quarantining and keeping their tanks pest free.

 

I'm trying to do the same, looking for new places over on the westside now. I've also heard good things about an operation run out of a garage in Compton called Ellis Aquatics. Sounds sorta sketch, but I like those kinda places

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tigahboy
20 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Vivid Aquariums over on Vanowen. I think its in Canoga Park? Winnetka? They have tons of cool frags, and nice clean tanks. They're super good when it comes to quarantining and keeping their tanks pest free.

 

I'm trying to do the same, looking for new places over on the westside now. I've also heard good things about an operation run out of a garage in Compton called Ellis Aquatics. Sounds sorta sketch, but I like those kinda places

 

 

Vivid is amazing.  A little far for me, but whenever I drive thru that area I pay them a visit.  I also really want to check out Ellis when I'm ready to stock.  I Google mapped the address and it was straight up in the hood.  LOL.  His stuff looks cray tho. 

 

Time for a Socal N-R members meet-up in Compton!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
Just now, Tigahboy said:

Vivid is amazing.  A little far for me, but whenever I drive thru that area I pay them a visit.  I also really want to check out Ellis when I'm ready to stock.  I Google mapped the address and it was straight up in the hood.  LOL.  His stuff looks cray tho. 

 

Time for a Socal N-R members meet-up in Compton!

That would be great if I lived in riverside still 😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tmr8188

I like that tank

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Vivid is amazing.  A little far for me, but whenever I drive thru that area I pay them a visit.  I also really want to check out Ellis when I'm ready to stock.  I Google mapped the address and it was straight up in the hood.  LOL.  His stuff looks cray tho. 

 

Time for a Socal N-R members meet-up in Compton!

I am actually about this. I would love to be part of a reef club in SoCal...I guess I should start looking to see if any clubs in our area are actually active on a regular basis

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel

That is an interesting unique tank for sure.  It's fun to see all the different tanks folks have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

I love that tank, not seen anything like it before

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lingwendil

That tank is rad, reminds me of the old red sea/azoo "wave" tanks that had a curved bottom in the Drs Foster/Smith catalogs 🙂

 

I'd love one similar in black or clear silicone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
14 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Vivid Aquariums over on Vanowen. I think its in Canoga Park? Winnetka? They have tons of cool frags, and nice clean tanks. They're super good when it comes to quarantining and keeping their tanks pest free.

 

I'm trying to do the same, looking for new places over on the westside now. I've also heard good things about an operation run out of a garage in Compton called Ellis Aquatics. Sounds sorta sketch, but I like those kinda places

 

 

Found it this morning -- it's called Nature Aquarium (in a shopping center and tucked into the back corner).

 

I've heard of Vivid Aquariums but haven't been able to make it out yet! I hit up Unique Corals few weeks ago.. was really great. Other favorites so far are LAX Aquariums, Ultragem Fish & Corals and Bob's Tropical Fish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...